Slipping clutch - did I really wear it out in 13,000km? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

There was a post here a month or two ago from a wee owner who apparently burned his clutch up practicing slow speed manoevering in a parking lot by revving the engine too high (5k+- RPMs - that bike apparently also had some kind of fueling issue that caused it to surge at lower RPMs). Anyway, it is possible to fry a well-adjusted clutch on a wee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

For what it's worth - we had an XL 500 at the cottage a few years back with stock (road) gearing. After the first month of trail riding - slipping the clutch to compensate for the tall gearing - the clutch was completely shot. It would slip in any gear. I bought a new clutch kit and when I went to install it I found the original friction plates and discs were in pretty good shape - within spec actually - but - the springs were shot. They were about 75% of the recommended height. We surmised that all the heat that built up while we were slipping the clutch toasted the springs.

Replaced the clutch and dropped the gearing down 30% and ran the thing for 10 years with no problems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Watched the mechanic take out the clutch today, and he didn't even want to measure the friction plates - they were chewed down nearly flat. He is suggesting to also replace clutch driven plates (metal rings between friction plates). He didn't measure them either but thinks they looked burned and are likely warped enough so it would be best to just replace them too.

Now, the point I need advice with, he also wants to discard "wave washers", parts 21471-17G00 and 21472-17G00. He says they act as a spring, and can make clutch easier to disengage, but also can prevent it from seating fully, if I understand him right. Crazy talk or good idea?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Cheap, do it.

The thrust bearing is usually a good idea as well, but with such low k's it's probably fine, trust the mechanic on that one.

Main thing, springs are probably shot.

I don't know what triggered the wear, but I'd guess the cable sheath riding up on the adjuster or similar - either that or you are an appalling rider. O.K. unkind , I think you were just unlucky.

Next time if there is one, don't ignore the slip, try and work out what's causing it, once you start slipping at high rpm it's fast damage. But - credit to you, you fixed it before there was serious damage to the engine.

Pete
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement