Rear Brake Pads - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Rear Brake Pads

What is every one using for rear brake pads? I have completely worn out my rear brake pads in around 8,000 miles. That seems a little soon. I replaced the stock pads after about 12,000 miles & though that was soon but blamed it on the previous owner. But now that I have worn them out I wonder. I put EBC FA174 rear pads on but would have expected more mileage.

What are others getting for mileage and what pads are you using? I still have the stock front pads on with 21,000 miles.
2004 DRZ435S
1999 YZ400F
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Stock Suzuki pads or black organic pads from EBC or Galfer. I think your FA174 is the right pad.

Do the pads drag? A problem with that caliper? Or do you use way too much rear brake and no where near enough front brake to stop? Or do you drag the rear brake without knowing it due to foot pressure on the pedal? (Try readjusting the pedal position.) While the old rule of 70% percent of your stopping power is on the front is highly inaccurate, it does illustrate the point.
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this communication do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use the EBC FA 174 pads on the rear. They do wear quickly but have great feel and stopping power. Mine last around 5000 miles.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Rear Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRider View Post
Stock Suzuki pads or black organic pads from EBC or Galfer. I think your FA174 is the right pad.

Do the pads drag? A problem with that caliper? Or do you use way too much rear brake and no where near enough front brake to stop? Or do you drag the rear brake without knowing it due to foot pressure on the pedal? (Try readjusting the pedal position.) While the old rule of 70% percent of your stopping power is on the front is highly inaccurate, it does illustrate the point.
There has to be something I am doing wrong maybe all of the above. As an old motocross & off road rider I know you must depend on and get a lot of your stopping power from the front brakes. Maybe I am just getting lazy and using too much rear brake. Maybe I will try a set of Galfer this time. Thanks.
2004 DRZ435S
1999 YZ400F
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Mike try this---adjust the pedal brake light switch so it comes on with a very small movement of the pedal. Have someone ride behind you and watch for your brake light on all the time as you ride. I've seen it before--the rider doesn't know that he's lightly on the brake pedal while riding.
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this communication do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo rider View Post
I use the EBC FA 174 pads on the rear. They do wear quickly but have great feel and stopping power. Mine last around 5000 miles.
If that is their HH semimetallic, it's the one I put on almost immediately as the stock ones would not stop the bike. I use the rear for almost all intown slowpoke traffic and they are real good for that.

2007 Suzuki DL650A | 1996 Jeep Cherokee | 2003 Mercedes E320 | 1995 Mazda Miata
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Brake Pads

The FA's are labeled as "High Preformance Organic Series" pads. I looked at the level I have the brake set at I I will adjust it down as I think I am probably riding them with out knowing it.
2004 DRZ435S
1999 YZ400F
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Something has to be wrong I think. Of thousands of miles I have put on many bikes I have never replaced the rear pads. Put it on a stand and spin the wheel.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
$tromtrooper

There are rear brakes????
'04 650, and goshdarnit it's fun - matte silver (#9 in the Silver 'Strom Club)
farewell to an '81 KZ550, '83 GPz750, '83 V45 Sabre, R-Reg GT380, '84 GPz550, early '70s DT175, and a '72 Peugeot 102
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Ha Ha, too funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZDon View Post
There are rear brakes????
Ditto here. 82,000+ miles on my SV (not to mention my previous 9 bikes) and never replaced rear pads yet.

Now that I have said that, I fully expect to hear metal to metal coming from my rear wheel on my next ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement