Center Stand- looking for real comparision - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Center Stand- looking for real comparision

I want a center stand to do maintenance etc, I would not keep my bike parked on it being I park my bike in our parking spot which is on a decline. But I would like to keep that as an option if theres a tight spot for me to park. I looked and tried Cambions SW Motech and liked the qaulity and easy of use plus you have to give it some push to get the bike off the center stand but for a priced tag of 223.00 it seems alot when I look at the happy trails center stand for 149.00.

I am looking for a comparision beteen the SW Motech and the Happy trails stand. I know the Happy trails has a note that its for maintenance only, which has me wondering if the stand can be used as a parking stand without having to worry about my bike falling out of it etc.

I know theres a few boards but the site will not let me look past page 1 without the web brower closing.

Farkles: Aprilia Tuono mirrors / Pat Walsh Design Super Brace / DL1000 Seat / Givi engine guards / RR Peg Lowering Kit / Madstad Bkt w/ OEM or Givi Shield / PL532 & E41nn / SW-Motech CenterStand / EB PC-8 - 2x power outlets - Datel Voltmeter - Stebel Horn with PWD setup - Digital Slim H4-3(9003) Bi-Xenon HID - 1157 LED Brake lights

Shiro Nakama Hachi [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

i have the sw mototech. it works good and requires little pressure to get the bike up. i use it everyday.
before i had the "factory" stand on my 05 tiger and it required way too much pressure to get the bike up.

not familular with the ht unit but the stuff i have bought from them always worked.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I just installed a Murph's center stand on my 11 650. I looked at the reviews and pricing on all of them before buying. I can say it is very stable, I can spin the bike while on the stand in my smooth concrete floor garage. Look this stand is mainly for maintenance or flat repairs. I use my center stand and kickstand combination for breaking beads while tire changing. Pull the trigger and go with the cheapest option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 PM
$tromtrooper

Default I have a Happy Trails stand

the connection to the frame uses oversize annular spacers on each of the 4 bolts - a sloppy detail.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just installed a motech. Quick, easy install. Excellent quality--just like all of their products I have purchased. I can put the bike on the center stand with only moderate foot pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Stock centerstand was "thrown-in" to my purchase deal. So, I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm pleased with it. Can't imagine having a bike without one.
aren't you?
---Lord Buckley---
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

When I bought my '11 Wee used it had a Happy Trails on it. The bike seemed to sit at a bit of an angle to one side, and the legs weren't very wide...not very confidence inspiring to start struggling with a tight fastener on the bike. Also, on one side of the centerstand frame itself the stop bolt was only catching the stand legs by a couple of millimeters when the bike was up on the stand. I made the (wrong) assumption that it wasn't installed correctly, so I removed it, and reinstalled it per the instructions. Same issue. I took it off and replaced it with a Murph's Kit stand. Nice wide footprint, and easier to get the bike onto. I know some guys are satisfied with their Happy Trails but my experience wasn't great. The only shortcoming on the Murph's stand is the rubber stopper that the legs rest on when stored. It mounts to a bracket on the exhaust and appears to be made out of black licorice.
Ex-'05 SV650S
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM
$tromtrooper

I'm happy with SW Motech on the DR and DL.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thank you all for some info to help make a decision. I decided to go with the Murph's center stand. I want the SW but 220 is a lot for something that would be used for maintenance and to park my bike here and there. The Happy Trails worries me being they had their note and I see alot of yes users of the Murph’s center stand. I know a stand is a stand but I want my baby to be safe

Farkles: Aprilia Tuono mirrors / Pat Walsh Design Super Brace / DL1000 Seat / Givi engine guards / RR Peg Lowering Kit / Madstad Bkt w/ OEM or Givi Shield / PL532 & E41nn / SW-Motech CenterStand / EB PC-8 - 2x power outlets - Datel Voltmeter - Stebel Horn with PWD setup - Digital Slim H4-3(9003) Bi-Xenon HID - 1157 LED Brake lights

Shiro Nakama Hachi [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg View Post
I just installed a motech. Quick, easy install. Excellent quality--just like all of their products I have purchased. I can put the bike on the center stand with only moderate foot pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

gotta agree, well made and 10 min. install
SoloMotoParts.com has them at 180 with free ship
Sponsored Links
Advertisement