2011 DL650 Service Cost - USA - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default 2011 DL650 Service Cost - USA

Helllo All,

I am new to this forum . I recently bought a pre owned 2011 DL650. Its due second service - 4000miles. Could you let me know what would be the service cost in US. I am in Dallas , texas and the dealer is quoting $250 for second service.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
$tromtrooper

At 4,000 miles all that's required is oil and filter change, though the handbook mentions checking chassis bolts/clutch/chain adj., basic stuff that most of us will keep adjusted as required.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'm on my second V-Strom and the first one never went back to the dealer as I changed the oil and filters myself, plus the other adjustments. I sold it after three years, but the bike never reached the first valve adjustment mileage (15,000) so it never got done before I sold it. Now I have a 2011 V-Strom that I bought new and plan do just do the oil changes and filter changes myself again. I personally think that all checks and adjustments can be done by the owner and if you can't do them yourself I would get someone to help you with them. Personally taking the bike to the dealer for oil changes, filter changes, etc. and them charging $250 is a joke. I guess what I'm saying is V-Stroms maintenance is pretty minimal and you can do it yourself.

John
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
$250 is a joke. I guess what I'm saying is V-Stroms maintenance is pretty minimal and you can do it yourself.

John
+++1

Buy a service manual...do the maintenance yourself and save a ton of $$...these machines are very easy to maintain.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
...charging $250 is a joke
No, jokes are funny. This is insulting.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockkyyy View Post
Helllo All,

I am new to this forum . I recently bought a pre owned 2011 DL650. Its due second service - 4000miles. Could you let me know what would be the service cost in US. I am in Dallas , texas and the dealer is quoting $250 for second service.
why is it whenever someone posts a question about cost of service, almost everyone replies with the DIY answer, just maybe, some riders don't wanna be mechanics, ya think if they did, they would be asking more helpful questions for the task at hand, or maybe, just maybe, the question is about dealer costs cause thats what they really wanna do

back to topic

$250 sounds a bit steep, I would ask the dealer exactly what services the $250 includes, I'm willing to bet, they are including service items that are not recommended till 7500 mile service

routine 3500-4000 mile service should take a competent mechanic about 1.5 hours to complete in a professional manner + cost of materials should be more in the $125-$175 range depending on local labor rates
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
why is it whenever someone posts a question about cost of service, almost everyone replies with the DIY answer, just maybe, some riders don't wanna be mechanics, ya think if they did, they would be asking more helpful questions for the task at hand, or maybe, just maybe, the question is about dealer costs cause thats what they really wanna do
Or maybe, just maybe, the questioner is unaware of how easy these things are to do and is in the process of being bamboozled by a fast-talking dealer. I can't see how it does any harm to point that out. They can certainly ignore the advice if they choose.

If a senior citizen asked whether they should remit payment to that nice Nigerian prince by personal check or by money order what would you say..."Send a check because it saves you a trip to the post office"? That may be helpful but it's not the best response.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I paid 225$ for my first service at 800 miles which the dealer rattled of a list things to checked/done. I am a do it yourselfer but honestly I felt better letting the dealer do the first service. I was a little frustrated the dealer didn't even take the time mark it in my book after I told him it was under my seat please mark it appropriately. I plan on doing my own oil changes, I did not even think to look for a service manual. I would feel better checking everything over myself especially having the manual in hand. I am new to motorcycles and I can understand being a little intimidated. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/okanor/vstrom-dl650][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/199417.png[/IMG][/URL]
Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, the questioner is unaware of how easy these things are to do and is in the process of being bamboozled by a fast-talking dealer. I can't see how it does any harm to point that out. They can certainly ignore the advice if they choose.

If a senior citizen asked whether they should remit payment to that nice Nigerian prince by personal check or by money order what would you say..."Send a check because it saves you a trip to the post office"? That may be helpful but it's not the best response.
It doesn't hurt to point it out but he has a point in that the tendency of threads like this is to immediately dismiss a dealer as some sort of robber baron (stealer if you will) who serves no other purpose than to rip off the unsuspecting bike owner.
My recollection of the 4k service is that there are a bunch of checks and possible adjustments involved. If they actually all are done Suzuki no doubt has an hourly schedule for how long it takes and then its just shop rate.
Over the years I've seen a lot of people new to bikes who know nothing about anything mechanical. Adjusting a chain or clutch free play can be a monumental task for them. I've seen chains adjusted so tight when they were hot that the countershaft bearings were ruined. I've seen tires that were so old and hard they felt like a bowling ball because of owner neglect. So in my mind making the assumption that everyone should just start twisting wrenches on their new bike is a stretch.
In my experience forming a relationship with a dealer can be a very valuable relationship. On the odd chance that you have a problem that is a bit in the gray area when it comes to warranty coverage, for example, you are far more likely to get the dealer to go to bat for you if they consider you a good customer who's bike they have had a part in taking care of vs only being able to say "yeah, I sold it to him, haven't seen it since." A lot of people laugh at this philosophy of mine, so be it, I've found it has served me well though.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

What's funny about service cost is that I can take my Honda Ridgeline in for service and for the $29.95 oil and filter change they check about 30-50 items for free. Yes they are looking for needs repairs, but 99.9 percent of the time there is nothing needed. So why don't motorcycle dealers do bikes the same way, I guess their $250.00 charge is pretty much $30.00 for the oil and filter and $220.00 for looking at the the bike. Good money if you can get it. In other words you are charge $220.00 for nothing done to the bike in most cases. Now you know why I dislike dealership service. My biggest gripe is valve adjustment, why should we have to pay for it if it falls in the factory warranty period and it's the recommended time to have them adjusted. This is BS, didn't I get a factory warranty, I know it's an adjustment, but the things ought to be built not needing adjustment or adjusted under warranty. I'm getting charged for the manufactures not being able to manufacture engines that need adjustment and I'm to pay, get serious.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement