Going to the Darkside - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Going to the Darkside

I know the whole darkside issue is as volatile as dino-oil vs. synthetic, but I'm interested in trying it out (darkside that is, made the switch to synthetic years ago).

My bike is my only means of transportation, and while my corner of the Pacific North Wet has pretty mild winters compared to other places, it does get below freezing on a fairly regular basis, plus lots of rain = ice.

I've read a couple of the darkside threads floating around, and based on what I read in randyo's darkside thread, I purchased a 205-50/R17 General Altimax Artic tire and mounted it on the bike wheel over the weekend. Getting the CT on the MC wheel was a PITA, but with the help of a couple friends: mission accomplished.

We mounted the wheel on the bike only to find that the chain rubs against the sidewall, a lot. We brainstormed a little and decided to get some 10mm washers (~1/8" thick) and stick them under the sprocket in the hopes that that would take care of the rubbing. It helped, but the chain still rubbed against the tire sidewall. Not willing to double stack the washers, I decided to put the MC tire back on and do some more research.

Which brings me here, does anyone have any thoughts on why the CT did not fit? Perhaps the ABS bracket? Can anyone recommend a smaller width winter tire? A quick check on TireRack.com did not show any narrower tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
$tromtrooper

A couple of my friends have done the darkside thing and one thing they have learned is that it is common for tires from two different manufacturers to have different profiles even though the tire size is the same.

My Wee is my main source of transportation too and I have thought about giving it a shot but so far I have been lucky with keeping and eye out for tire sales (currently running Battlewings and probably will pick up a set of 705's when they are on sale again). Generally I can get about 10,000 miles out of a rear tire since I am not a very aggressive rider.
2001 GasGas XC250 - Woody
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Has anyone tried mounting a 205-50/R17 General Altimax Artic tire on an ABS 'Wee? That did not work for me, and I'm wondering if it is because my bike has ABS. Any recommendations on a slightly more narrow winter tire? I've been perusing TireRack.com, but I have not found a 17" tire smaller than 205-50.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

You might have a better response if you post your question here:

Suspension and Tire Tech - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement