Advice needed: Alaska 2013 on wee - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 AM

And a decent supply of zip-ty's. I find the 8 and 14 inch lengths to be the most useful in my everyday life. The 4inchers are good for lashing wires or cables together or to the frame to prevent chafing. A roll of 1inch X 30 feet long Gorilla tape. The ties and tape can be added to the bike externally so no extra room needed but they can sure save your butt.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'68 Vespa VBB scooter (restored)
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strompilot View Post
You'll get many different suggestions as to how to equip your bike for the trip. My suggestions would include a set of new or nearly new tires, especially if you plan on riding any of the available unpaved riding possibilities. Make sure your chain is in good shape and properly adjusted before you leave, and plan on, at the minimum, lubing it at least once a day. Dupont Chainsaver now comes in a handy small plastic squeeze bottle that stores easily in a tankbag, trunk, etc. Change your oil and filter before you leave and after arriving up here.

It sounds like your bike is already well-equipped for such a trip. The OEM bags are fine, but the Happy Trails panniers provide great storeage as well as tipover protection.

Expect to run into cool or even cold weather in August and September, so you might consider, if you haven't already done so, obtaining a heated jacket liner such as a Warm & Safe or Gerbings, and the controller. Little things like that sure make a miserable cold (and sometimes wet as well) day more enjoyable.
Strom pilot: I was considering the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution. 1 for gps, one for heated vest, and 1 for ???

Can you advise if this is a sensible plan regarding electric power for the heated vest?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Living 60 mi. From the border, I would be more than happy to "hang on" to any firearms you would like to leave behind (please bring ample supply of ammo). I am partial to sig sauer.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
was Fireball18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg View Post
Strom pilot: I was considering the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution. 1 for gps, one for heated vest, and 1 for ???

Can you advise if this is a sensible plan regarding electric power for the heated vest?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I think so. That way you won't have to worry about inadvertently draining your battery. Mine is wired direct to the battery, and when I get off the bike, I automatically unplug the jacket from the power lead. My controller is velcroed to the rear of the tank where it is handy, and the hot wire plug comes out on the left, just below the bottom edge of the seat. Not fancy, but it works for me.p
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Declaring handguns going into Canada

Quote:
The Canadian Non-Resident Firearms Declaration
U.S. citizens bringing firearms into Canada, or taking firearms through Canada to Alaska are required to fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (Form CAFC 909 EF). The form must be presented in triplicate, unsigned, to a Canadian customs officer at the traveler's first point of entry into Canada. Remember, the customs officer must witness the signature, so do not sign the form beforehand.
[/URL]
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Gun info for Canada:
BSF5044 - Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada
BSF5044 - Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

By the way, which states on your intended route grant reciprocity for your home state concealed carry permit? Not all.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL...city/index.htm

It seems like the permit, if granted, will require $25 in Canadian currency at the time you cross the border. I don't know if they'll take U.S. currency, or if there is any way to get the correct currency to them if you don't already have it. Any U.S. bank near the border will have some Canadian currency, or you can have your home town bank order some for you. Once you're in Canada, use any ATM, or use your credit card, in the usual way with a small fee added on for the exchange.

When I was in Canada last winter the exchange rate was US$1.03 = CDN$1. Most restaurants and bars took U.S. currency at par...CDN$1 = US$1 and no exchange fee, so a wallet full of U.S. 20's, 10's, and 5's was the way to go. Of course, they made change in Canadian currency. Right now the exchange is about exactly even. No telling what it'll be next summer.
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this communication do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata.

Last edited by PTRider; 11-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 PM
$tromtrooper

Motorcycle Travels by Al: June 2009
I made the Alaska trip in 2009 on a BMW GS and saw lots of VStrom's. I now have a 2011 WeeStrom. Check out my blog for the Alaska trip.

Last edited by Alvingee; 12-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Alaska trip

Quick thought on the a post that critters come out at 4pm. Hate to say it, but it makes no sense. Example, on August 1 in Fairbanks, sunrise is 4:53 am and sunset is 11:00 pm. The sun will still be up for another 7 hrs.

I have lived in Alaska for 40 yrs and have a 2006 650 V-Strom. I have traveled all of our roads. Like any other place it is sunrise and sunset that you need to be concerned.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would be very surprised if Canadian Customs allows anyone into the country with a handgun, permit or no. One thing everyone has to understand is that no one has a RIGHT to cross a border into another country, and permission is solely up to the discretion of the person wearing the uniform. If he/she doesn't like your looks, attitude or anything else you can be turned back without further ado or for that matter explanation. Possession of a handgun to most Canadians is prima facie evidence of an intent to commit US-style mayhem. If they as much as suspect that a person OWNS a handgun even with though it is left at home I'll bet they'll turn him back just on the suspicion that he is a crazed and violent Yankee gunslinger -- and the fact that the OP is from TX basically confirms that. At a minimum they will tear the bike and contents apart to inspect for one.

And if you have any felonies in your file you WILL be turned back.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
$tromtrooper

I had some Alabama Good-Old Boy Co-workers drive (together) a rental car up into Canada years ago to visit a Vendor, or maybe a papermill. The border guard (not sure if Canadian or USA) asked them if they owned any guns and/or were carrying any guns. Crazy John blurted out a loud laugh and said ............"well hell, we're from Alabama ain't we"??!! The laughing quickly subsided after sitting a few hours in the border-crossing's detainment office..........
2014 Vstrom East Gathering......http://www.stromtrooper.com/events/1...18-2014-a.html ...or here..... http://2014easterngathering.weebly.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement