Daylong - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just got my Russell Day Long saddle last week.
Did a 360 mile test run with it....absolutely amazing.
Like sitting on an soft pillow! NO discomfort at all..NONE
Could have went another 500 miles.

Best money spent ever!
Now if I can get some lowering links as the RDL does raise you up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well, got the seat Friday the first, but I had gone to big bend on my wing so I just got to put it on and try it for about ten miles. Like the position and it sets higher-yippie! The first thing I noticed was that the two pressure points that i usually get on the wing was not there on the Russell . I later rode the wing and felt them so I think it sets way different, I may send the wing seat to them over the winter.

I was surprise at how fast I got this seat back. Less than a month and that includes two weeks on the ups truck. I have had one other custom seat done by another known seat maker and they were jerks to deal with. Russell on the other hand did this on the time schedule they gave me and any contact I had was very professional. Cannot wait to put some miles on it, but it feels right after 3 days of 450 miles per day on the gold wing may have given some insight on how it may impact my typical pressure points. Hope that makes sense.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
was Fireball18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
Well, got the seat Friday the first, but I had gone to big bend on my wing so I just got to put it on and try it for about ten miles. Like the position and it sets higher-yippie! The first thing I noticed was that the two pressure points that i usually get on the wing was not there on the Russell . I later rode the wing and felt them so I think it sets way different, I may send the wing seat to them over the winter.

I was surprise at how fast I got this seat back. Less than a month and that includes two weeks on the ups truck. I have had one other custom seat done by another known seat maker and they were jerks to deal with. Russell on the other hand did this on the time schedule they gave me and any contact I had was very professional. Cannot wait to put some miles on it, but it feels right after 3 days of 450 miles per day on the gold wing may have given some insight on how it may impact my typical pressure points. Hope that makes sense.
I had a Russell on my GL1800 and I loved it. I heartily recommend the RDL. unfortunately it costs too much to ship my Wee's seat back and forth, so I won't be getting one for the Wee. Looking at the Seat Concepts seat.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strompilot View Post
unfortunately it costs too much to ship my Wee's seat back and forth, so I won't be getting one for the Wee.
exactly why I did not purchase a RDL.... $120 shipping each and every time.... just mounted a Saddlemen Adventure Track and so far it is outstanding value and comfort for the money...
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

The new Saddleman is an interesting design and they make a good product as does Sargent and usually Corbin.
I think its important to remember though its a one size fits all seat which is a good thing as long as it happens to fit you. I don't think it should be rightly compared to a full custom seat such as the Russell which is tailored to the specific purchaser.
Indeed you could spend money having your Russell tailored in terms of shipping but its important to remember that with one like the Saddleman one reason you don't have to worry about that is that there is no tailoring to it, you have what you have.
In my mind neither is a bad choice they are simply two ways of going about it. I didn't do either, I had mine redone by Rick Mayer which cost similar to the Saddleman but is still made for me. I don't think it is quite the comfort level of the Russell but still quite good and meets my needs.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Daylong

You will not be disappointed. Of all the farkles I have purchased. the Russell DL is by far the best money spent! It will be worth the wait. Phil
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

There's a gentleman over on the vulcan Bagger forum who's trying to arrange a group buy of RDL seats . He has 150 names or so , including people from across the spectrum of bikes , Stroms included . We should know soon if he has been successful !
Alex
Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Second hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
I have a secondhand one on my r1100rt. If its not everything people say its pretty close. Ive also had good results with rick and bill mayer also.
If you got it second hand, it wasn't designed for you. When ordering Russell requires oictures of you and rider on the bike feet down, feet up. Weight, height, etc. You're lucky it does pretty well.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Baloney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
I think you will be happy. If rider weight is an issue even Rick Mayer told me he recommends the Russell if the rider is up around 250 pounds because he feels using the spring system they have is superior when that weight level is involved.
His dad invented the thing (originally the Mayer Day Long) so he should know the pros and cons of the two.
As you found, custom seats are not a sure thing but Russell is probably as close as you can get.
The Russell day-long-saddle has been around for forty years, it just looks better now.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM
$tromtrooper

Money well spent. I've got one that has served me well for over 30,000 miles including 4 Ironbutt rides and a 12,000 mile trip through BC and Canada. I wouldn't even consider a competitor to Russell based on the excellent experience I've had with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement