Stromputer is alive - Page 15 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
yeah i left the ones blank that i didn't know about
sorry - i've done 2 or 3 projects before but i'm still really new to this as well.

I'd guess that the LED resistors are for lessening the brightness of the LED lights. I'm not certain and I think that could be controlled as well/instead through the Arduino, but maybe they're so stupid bright that the resistors are useful for setting a max brightness.
edit: why you need resistors with LEDs
LED resistors are current limiters - Most LEDs cannot tolerate more than 20-25mA. The resistors limit the current to these values.

The brightness of LEDs in Stromputer is controlled by using PWM - Pulse Wave Modulation. That is why the particular digital ports were used for LEDs. Only these ports support PWM.

2014 Northeast V-Strom Rally! (NEVA 2014), Aug 1-Aug 3, North Adams, MA

Stromputer - A V-Strom Computer and display
2011 DL650 ABS ( "White Pearl")
Stromtrooper Wiki!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
LED resistors are current limiters - Most LEDs cannot tolerate more than 20-25mA. The resistors limit the current to these values.

The brightness of LEDs in Stromputer is controlled by using PWM - Pulse Wave Modulation. That is why the particular digital ports were used for LEDs. Only these ports support PWM.
thanks. this makes sense to me.

does the brightness of the LEDs change based on what the photocell's picking up (brighter LEDs if it's daylight shining on the photocell, dimmer LED if it's nighttime)? If not, what's the photocell for?
'79 GS850G *sold*
[/font]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
thanks. this makes sense to me.

does the brightness of the LEDs change based on what the photocell's picking up (brighter LEDs if it's daylight shining on the photocell, dimmer LED if it's nighttime)? If not, what's the photocell for?
Yes, the photocell is used for doing exactly that.

But for NHD LCD modules (note: do not confuse LCD with LED!), it also controls the brightness of the LCD automatically.
YwRobot LCD modules have no way to control brightness programatically so the LCD brightness is constant.

Stromtrooper Wiki!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
question: should the Posi-Locks still be on there? I thought they were POSi-locks per one of your posts, yes?
Yes, but they are optional.
You need to hookup power from the 12V battery (Black for GND, Red for 12V) and to the GPS line (Green that connects with Blue Posi-Tap, or directly to the Pink GPS line of the V-Storm, I recommend a Posi-Tap, perhaps it should be added to the BOM)

You solder the lines directly, or use a fuse box - it is up to you.

Stromtrooper Wiki!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Yes, but they are optional.
You need to hookup power from the 12V battery (Black for GND, Red for 12V) and to the GPS line (Green that connects with Blue Posi-Tap, or directly to the Pink GPS line of the V-Storm, I recommend a Posi-Tap, perhaps it should be added to the BOM)

You solder the lines directly, or use a fuse box - it is up to you.
Blue Posi-Tap is 16-18 Gauge. Is that the size of the GPS wire?
also seems that the Posi-Taps only come in packages of 6 for $9 (through the manufacturer at least)
'79 GS850G *sold*
[/font]
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Blue Posi-Tap is 16-18 Gauge. Is that the size of the GPS wire?
also seems that the Posi-Taps only come in packages of 6 for $9 (through the manufacturer at least)
I did not measure the GPS wire size, but the Blue Posi-Tap works just fine with it.
Yes, it does come in a package. Maybe you can find something on ebay that comes as a single, or maybe there is something similar in AutoDepot/RadioShack - I did not check there.

Stromtrooper Wiki!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
$tromtrooper

I committed an updated BOM to SVN, based on 'the schwartz' updates.

Stromtrooper Wiki!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 PM
$tromtrooper

I added some documentation of how to compile the source code:
StromputerV2Instructions - stromputer - Display enhancement for Suzuki V-Strom motorcycles (and others) based on Arduino - Google Project Hosting

Also thanks to Chris, I found that there is an issue with the analog to digital calculations which I did not noticed on V1, but which is an issue on V2 (in particular the Nano V3 board) when connected to USB power. When using the LM2940 5V voltage regulator, i.e. on the motorcycle, this is a non-issue.
It has to do with the internal voltage (VCC) on the board. IT seems on Nano V3 the VCC is much less than 5V, causing voltage calculations to skew considerably. Once again, it should work flawlessly on the bike since VCC will be a nice stable 5V, thanks to LM2940.
I will fix and verify that during this weekend. Not a show stopper and causes no risk, just something to be aware of.

Stromtrooper Wiki!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
...Also thanks to Chris, I found that there is an issue with the analog to digital calculations which I did not noticed on V1, but which is an issue on V2 (in particular the Nano V3 board) when connected to USB power. When using the LM2940 5V voltage regulator, i.e. on the motorcycle, this is a non-issue.

It has to do with the internal voltage (VCC) on the board. IT seems on Nano V3 the VCC is much less than 5V, causing voltage calculations to skew considerably...
Doesn't the Arduino have an internal voltage regulator? Shouldn't it be providing a stable Vcc regardless of the power source?

Is the Arduino expecting USB voltage to already be regulated, and therefore Vin from the power jack goes through the regulator, but not the Vin from the USB port? That's kinda a poor design for the reasons you mention above if that's the case, but I'm only an interested neophyte in the EE world, so maybe there's something I'm missing that explains why it's working that way.
DL650 K9:[LIST][*]SW-Motech crash bars, skidplate, side carriers, 12V power outlet,[*]Pelican 1430 cases,[*]Tech-Mount PDA holder,[*]Oxfords Sport heated grips,[*]Axio tail bag[*]Shinko 705 front and rear (Conti Trail Attacks currently fitted for a long road trip)[*]Richland Rick fork brace[*]Loobman chain oiler[*]Aftermarket DRZ400 footpegs[/LIST]
[URL="http://ak-vstrom.blogspot.com/search/label/XS750%20project"]1977 Yamaha XS750 -- project bike[/URL]
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Doesn't the Arduino have an internal voltage regulator? Shouldn't it be providing a stable Vcc regardless of the power source?

Is the Arduino expecting USB voltage to already be regulated, and therefore Vin from the power jack goes through the regulator, but not the Vin from the USB port? That's kinda a poor design for the reasons you mention above if that's the case, but I'm only an interested neophyte in the EE world, so maybe there's something I'm missing that explains why it's working that way.
AFAIK Arduino Nano do not regulate voltage when connected to USB. There is a bypass.
I don't think it is a poor design, but rather my assumptions about the ADC reference being 5V were just incorrect. Once VCC is taken into account (very easy) the ADC calculations are very accurate.

The other thing you need to know is that voltage regulators have a drop out voltage parameter - i.e. They need some buffer above their regulated voltage. LM2940 for example has a low dropout of 0.5V. So to regulate to 5V one needs to feed at least 5.5V
Other, lesser quality regulators, require even a higher dropout, so you would need 6V or even 7V to regulate to 5V.
And indeed if you look at the Nano spec: Arduino - ArduinoBoardNano
"Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12 V"

which means the internal regulator (which is not used in Stromputer) has a dropout of 2V. In Stromputer the LM2940 stable 5V bypasses the internal regulator by going into Vin pin directly.

EDIT: For those interested to learn more about this, http://hacking.majenko.co.uk/node/57

Stromtrooper Wiki!

Last edited by BigMan73; 01-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement