StromTrooper banner

Your 2012 Dream Wee

Tags
farkles glee
18K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  stan-in-japan 
#1 ·
If you were to get a 2012 650 Wee, would you get the base model and add the farkles of your choice OR would you get the ADV and go from there?

Please be specific about what which bike you would buy and the brand specific farkles would add and why. To make it a little more fun... money is no object.
Let the farkling begin!

#2 ·
ADV

I own a DL650K7 and have been been planning (with deposit at my dealer) an upgrade to the "Glee" L2 since the reviews started coming in.

So, ADV includes (in the US):
  • Evo Trax siderack and cases.
  • Motech engine guards.
  • MRA Vario-Touring screen.

I'm adding to that (got a pile ready for install):
  • Handguards (OEM).
  • ScottOiler vSystem.
  • Fork brace (RichlandRick).
  • Mirror extenders (RichlandRick).
  • Givi E52 topcase and adapter plate, and lighting kit.
  • RAM Mount for my iPhone (from my older bike).
  • AltRider clutch lever.
  • AltRider side-stand foot.
  • Go Cruise throttle lock.
  • Reflective taping on the wheel rims and on the swingarm, lower forks, etc.

When I get the time/money:
  • Some sort of power outlet...
  • Probably OEM "bash" plate (yeah, it's resin; I don't care).
  • Quick-Lock tank bag with adapter plate.
  • Cartridge emulators?

#3 ·
For me, already on order is a 2012 Canadian EXP.
This model includes aluminum side and top cases, vario screen, engine guard, engine under cowl, hand guards, I added a 12v outlet, center stand and a passenger back rest pad on the top box (the hinges looked like they would catch the pillion in the shoulder blades). I also got a great deal on a Zumo 220 GPS at a recent bike show.
This should be all for this year until I have actually put some miles on the bike.

Ken

#6 ·
#7 ·
OK guys sorry I could not resist rubbing it in.

I should admit that the suggested retail for the Canadian EXP is 10,899 Canadian dollars (10,758 USD) including freight and pdi and that we pay 13% taxes on top of that. You can buy lots of farkles for your US versions with the savings.

Ken

#9 ·
I'd buy it stock and farkle it myself....... You could buy the most expensive aftermarket cases and still come out ahead.
Exactly right, and I don't want a bike that is almost four feet wide. My cage is just a hair over five feet wide.

#10 · (Edited)
I just brought mine home from Grants Pass Suzuki this morning.

on the work bench, to be installed are
Suzuki lower cowl
frame sliders
heated grips
hand guards
center stand
foot pegs, bigger, lower (GL1800)

to be ordered (when available)
plx side rack from Givi
V35 side bags from Givi
B47 Blade top case (new) from Givi

Just the ride home today was great, having owned both the 650 and 1000, this is one sweet ride.

#13 ·
It's a joy to ride ?, even more so than the old DL.

The bike will run comfortably at least one gear higher than before and is really happy loping along eating miles at lower rpm's than the older model.

Handling/suspension is better, and it's quite a bit better passing - not DL 1000 get up and go, but it rolls on faster for sure.

Seat is more comfortable. Better 2-up, about 2 inches more pillion room, pillion seat is more comfortable and it handles a pillion better power and balance wise as well. (Pillion was pretty much unnoticeable at legal speeds).

Only negative.
Bars gave me grief , they are further back and better quality than the old DL but the pullback and bar angle was too extreme and forced my arms to lock at wrists and elbows causing quite a bit of pain after a few weeks. Easy fix at least.

Pete

#14 ·
So excited :mrgreen: - I put a deposit on this earlier today:

It's my first "big bike" and I'm looking forward to eating up some mileage this summer, as well as farkling it! Here's what I've been thinking...

From my current bike:
Garmin Zumo 660 with RAM mount, wiring harness
Cortech Super mini magnetic tank bag
Battery tender SAE pigtail under the seat

On order with the new bike:
Suzuki low seat (Inseam-challenged, and used to folding up on a little CBR)

The plan:
Suzuki engine cowl
Givi PLR3101 quick release racks (or SW Motech equivalent)
Givi SRA3101 aluminum rear rack/topcase mount
Pair of Givi E36s to use as sides, or sometimes just one on the top
SW Motech center stand
Oxford Sport heated grips, when it gets colder

Oh, and first post on Stromtrooper!

#17 ·
For flexibility in the use of electrical "you name its", I suggest installing a Powerlet rather than the SAE plug. It opens up the whole gambit of stuff out there as everything can be used,including a battery charger. SAE plugs are great for things like extending the length of a cord from a jacket,charger or other farkle as small, but not as good as having a receptacle for the power source & feed. They are also better than a cig. lighter receptacle. See Racers Edge, Aerostich or many other dealers for the many Powerlet products.
Now, back to lusting after your new ride...:thumbup:

#22 ·
Thanks, yes I am considering putting a powerlet socket up front. But I couldn't think of anything I actually wanted to plug in up there that I wouldn't prefer to have behind me (heated gear) as I hardwire my Zumo.

I haven't discounted the idea though and will think harder. Maybe mount one on the rearset?

#21 ·
I saw a few posts on advrider bemoaning the new "smaller" look. But judging from the number of women and smaller guys eyeing it at the bike shows, I think Suzuki did their homework.

#20 ·
GrasshopperII you said you're getting a,
B47 Blade top case (new) from Givi
I'm picking up my 12 Wee next week, so I have been looking at a lot of Givi stuff lately. I hadn't seen the B47 before so I did a search. Good looking case! Given the light abuse these bikes may be put through though, I just wanted to make sure you noticed that its a Monolock case. Meaning it has two mounting points instead of three on the Monokey. Givi says the this Monolock is good for 3kg (6.6 lbs) but some of the Monokeys I was looking at were rated for 10kg (22 lbs). Don't know what your needs are, just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Its no fun having a top case sliding down the road. Don't ask me how I know.

#28 ·
2012 Accesory socket

G,day guys from Australia, conGrats byronw on you new Wee!! I like the colour you picked! Same as me. I picked up mine the first week in Nov 11 and after 1750 miles and a few small mods it is a superb motorcycle. I fitted a 12 volt switched socket this afternoon, 1.5 hrs and $45, very happy.

Attachments

#29 ·
LCD speedometer can be switched from mph to km/h? Correct. That instrument panel and meter switch on the left does all kinds of cool stuff, worth the new bike right there, almost....

........Nice job on the 12 volt socket. I went the lazy way, my socket is up near the dash, the wiring ends in SAE connector under the seat, so when parked, I connect the battery tender, when underway, I plug in the 12 v socket up by the dash.

#30 ·
A Glee with the same accessories as my Wee would make me happy.

#32 ·
Great posts here so far. Congratulations to all of the new bike guys. Love seeing the pics.

It seems there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd time Wee buyers here. That alone speaks volumes for this bike. Which leads to what farkles you would buy again and which would you change out for a different manufacturer or type. Also, share you reasoning as to why you're sticking with something or changing.

#35 ·
Stock

I'd buy stock, Suzuki Yamaha of Dalton, GA sold my friend a 2012 for $7500 and NO dealer prep of doc fees, then farkle away. I'll put my bestem top box for my 1K, add hand guards, and a tank bag.
Wouldn't want the Adventure as I'm not a big fan of the Suzuki side bags.

But the main reason I'd buy the base bike is for the Fox Orange. It is one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

Shoot, I've talked myself into it. Any body care to buy a 2004 1000 with 8K on the clock?????????:yesnod:

#41 ·
Indeed, my riding is mostly on pavement, with an occasional forest road, or other well maintained gravel road to get somewhere specific. I like the look of the V35 sidebags by Givi, and you need the PLX3101 rack for those. They will hold more than the E21's I had on the DL1000, and look a little nicer. As an alternative, a couple places in the US are now selling the Kappa K33N, about $50 cheaper, and very similar, they also fit the Givi PLX rack. Nobody has the rack in stock yet, hopefully they'll be available in a few weeks.

#42 ·
Took delivery of mine today! I did not expect to ride it home until later this month or early in March, but it was a gorgeous warm sunny day here and bikes were out in force so I schlepped out to the dealer and got her plated.

Awesome bike! Coming from a 125 it is obviously much bigger and more powerful, but it was not intimidating at all and a LOT of fun to ride even though it was cold and dark by the time I got home. The wind protection was very impressive. Can't wait until she's broken in...

Farkles on the way:

OEM lower cowl
OEM low seat
Eastern Beaver 3CS mini fuse panel
Powerlet in-dash socket (right or left panel??)
New RAM mounts for my Zumo 660 (will be wired to 3CS)
Spot 2 GPS tracker with RAM mount
Eastern Beaver heated grip adapter
BansheeHorn air horn controller kit (off Kickstarter)

Plan is still:
Givi SRA3101 rear rack
Givi PLR3101 quick release side racks
Pair of E36s
Oxford heated grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.