Top case and side case combinations - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Top case and side case combinations

What is a good top case and side case combination? I don't want those suitecase looking side cases either....hehe! What about a tool tube? Would I need to get the racks for a 1000 or a 650, mine is a 650. Didn't know if a tool tube would require racks for a 1000.

Last edited by footballdan; 10-27-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

You need to get the 650 racks. That much I can tell you. The rest just depends on what you like. I like the aluminum boxes, others don't. Look at the luggage thread to get ideas.

Tool Tubes depend on what racks and luggage you get. Some will be easier to mount than other.

I have Happy Trails panniers, a lot of people on here do also, and I really like them.
73 Bultaco Sherpa-T
69 Triumph Bonnie (Project Bike)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've got the OEM tour pack that you can see in my avatar. These side bags are huge - larger than my ST1300 bags. The top box will hold two full-face helmets.

Givi has a new adventrue touring-style case set that is plastic but has aluminum inserts that provide the aluminum adventure appearance. The nice thing about these bags is that they are a little slimmer and open two ways - they top open and fully open as a clamshell - so you can use the same box as a top box too. These are reasonably inexpensive when compared to the full aluminum cases and look really good with rounded corners.

There are tool tubes available. Check TwistedThrottle.com. I've also seen them on e-bay.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'm running with the TraX ALU-BOX side cases, but a CooCase top case. You'll need to purchase the SW Motech luggage racks.. The whole thing can amount to some serious cash.

With regards to the tool tube, also check out the Mega Tube (Mega Tube, MegaTube, Large size Motorcycle Storage Tubes, Auxiliary Fuel Storage solution.). It's large and I kinda had a difficult time with getting attached to the racks. Still, it holds exactly what I needed it to!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballdan View Post
What is a good top case and side case combination? I don't want those suitecase looking side cases either....hehe!
A good combination? That is up to you....and your budget!

Suitcase looking? They all look like suitcases to some degree. You can find a suitcase that looks similar to all the luggage you can buy for the bike.

I went with Seahorse cases (Pelican alternative; suitcase looking??) because they were very inexpensive and I already had a Bestem 929 T-Box (Givi clone). So it just depends on what you want and want to spend.

Happy Trails looks like a nice way to go if you like aluminum or you can buy Givi 360's/460 on Sporttour.com with free shipping which is even less.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by John V Strom, Jr.; 10-24-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

top case only is my style. Any side cases need to be a quick removal system..
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

The caribou cases are awesome.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawley View Post
top case only is my style. Any side cases need to be a quick removal system..
Good point. The Trax system has quick-release mount points that allow you to remove the racks with a quarter turn of the fastners.

The OEM rack is one piece and I recently had to pretty much disassemble it to get the trim panel off to get access to the rear brake master cylinder. A bit of a pain.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have the OEM side cases that came with the bike... they wont fit my laptop backpack so thats been a pain for me... plus i dont like how they stick out farther than the handle bars... can split lanes as much here in Cali with the side cases on... other than that they seem ok. no top case on the wee yet.

Are there any side cases you guys have that do not stick out past the handle bars? Or do they make any hard side cases that are expandable out like bmw has?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelAddict View Post
I have the OEM side cases that came with the bike... they wont fit my laptop backpack so thats been a pain for me... plus i dont like how they stick out farther than the handle bars... can split lanes as much here in Cali with the side cases on... other than that they seem ok. no top case on the wee yet.

Are there any side cases you guys have that do not stick out past the handle bars? Or do they make any hard side cases that are expandable out like bmw has?
Doubtful. The problem is the high exhaust. Aluminum cases tend to be even wider than the OEM cases. There is always the soft bag option over the OEM frames.

BTW, I just commute with the OEM top box. Fits my 15.6" laptop with plenty of room to spare.

Last edited by GlenT; 10-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement