How are you liking your Shinko 705's? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default How are you liking your Shinko 705's?

I know there are threads out there already, but I just wanted to get recent impressions of guys running 705's on the Wee. Mine are arriving today, and I'm really looking forward to riding them on a combo of dirt/pavement. What kind of mileage are you getting out of them? How do you like them on dirt? Paved twisties? What pressures are you running? Other thoughts?
Happy Riding!
Powerlet 12v outlet, K-B fork brace, Acerbis Enduro handguards, Dachel radiator guard, Fenda Extenda, Bags Connection City tank bag,
SW Motech GPS mount, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I installed my Shinko 705's about 3,000 miles ago.
The tread looks like the day I put 'em on the bike.
Funny thing is...I haven't been in the dirt with them yet, all pavement, with many miles in mountain sweepers and twisties.
I keep 36 psi in front and back.
I highly reccomend these tires as the are a great value.
I paid $128.00 delivered
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Cat Herder

Well...not to be an ass, but some of those other threads contain peoples recent impressions of them. Especially here: THE Tire Thread.

Mine fell apart at 5k miles. So did another local riders. And a few other peoples. Great in the wet, okay on gravel (no real impression, as I only had them on soaked fist-size gravel / pea-gravel mix).

Mine latched onto tar-snakes pretty hard, and any irregularities in the road. Otherwise, fine on paved roads unless you like scraping pegs. They get pretty rough when hard over. But they're not made for that type of riding.

Was running the recommended 36/36 front and rear. Don't do any less! You may even want them a little higher then that, especially if loaded up. My problems came when I started adding weight. Empty Jesse cases and a not-fat but not-featherweight wife on the back and things went downhill from there...quickly. Exhibit 1. Exhibit 2.

I hope you got the new radial ones. If not, you're f'ed. I'm mailing my tires back to Shinko this weekend.

WWGWD?

Last edited by LowAndSilent; 04-15-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Mine just arrived! I'm excited about these tires.Time will tell, though. I'll certainly report my experience with them. Besides, I know I've been getting hosed paying $125-$150 for a single tire. You'll not convince me that a motorcycle tire has to cost this much to be good. I give Shinko a lot of credit for offering this tire at this price point. I'm tired of paying a dime for a nickel!
Powerlet 12v outlet, K-B fork brace, Acerbis Enduro handguards, Dachel radiator guard, Fenda Extenda, Bags Connection City tank bag,

Last edited by cjc; 04-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm a convert to Shinko 705's.

I am on my second rear. My first went 7,000 miles, which is more than the Tourance and OEM Trailwings I've also run. I am hell on tires. When other guys claim 10,000 miles on a certain tire, I get 4,000 miles on it.

The front, which was put on at the same time as the first Shinko rear 7,000 miles ago, still looks new.

I ride a 650, and weigh 210 pounds nekkid. I often do two up with my girlfriend, who weighs an undisclosed amount. I run 41 psi rear, 35 psi front.

I have had no problems with delamination or disfigurement of the carcass.

The tire is very good on pavement, gravel, and hard pack dirt. It is as good as any other 90/10 tire in mud, which is to say, not good at all.

I plan on continuing to run the 705. It would be a good deal at twice as much, IMO. Hopefully Mr Shinko isn't reading this last part.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Where are y'all getting them?

I didn't see any 150 tubeless Shinkos in stock anywhere when I ordered my last Tourance.

I only get between 6-7,000 miles out of a rear Tourance before the wear bars start showing. At $150+ for a rear that's starting to add up.

.....>[URL="http://smugmug.com/"]SmugMug[/URL] coupon 0E8WP3kJcvvbY save $5 ..........>[URL="http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5294798&postcount=17"]The Banjo Rides
[/URL]
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Damn near verbatim for what my reply was gonna Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm a convert to Shinko 705's.

I am on my second rear. My first went 7,000 miles, which is more than the Tourance and OEM Trailwings I've also run. I am hell on tires. When other guys claim 10,000 miles on a certain tire, I get 4,000 miles on it.

The front, which was put on at the same time as the first Shinko rear 7,000 miles ago, still looks new.

I ride a 650, and weigh 210 pounds nekkid. I often do two up with my girlfriend, who weighs an undisclosed amount. I run 41 psi rear, 35 psi front.

I have had no problems with delamination or disfigurement of the carcass.

The tire is very good on pavement, gravel, and hard pack dirt. It is as good as any other 90/10 tire in mud, which is to say, not good at all.

I plan on continuing to run the 705. It would be a good deal at twice as much, IMO. Hopefully Mr Shinko isn't reading this last part.
+1 I have just about the same exact situation [ and outlook ] on the 705's these are the best kept secret in the Motorcycle world... Great Tires!!
93,000 + miles and counting

[url]http://ridedualsport.com/[/url] I'm DR_JAX_650
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Nice to hear guys!!! I ordered mine from Chaparral Motorsports. Got two rears and one front for $168 to my door. Awesome! They're going on the bike Saturday (just two, not all three )
Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc View Post
Nice to hear guys!!! I ordered mine from Chaparral Motorsports. Got two rears and one front for $168 to my door. Awesome! They're going on the bike Saturday (just two, not all three )
Thanks...I think that I'll try a set too.

.....>[URL="http://smugmug.com/"]SmugMug[/URL] coupon 0E8WP3kJcvvbY save $5 ..........>[URL="http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5294798&postcount=17"]The Banjo Rides
[/URL]
Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

over inflating causes the blocks to peel off. so dont do it. seems like a lot of folks keep wanting to put about 5 to 10 lbs more air in these tires than they should. read the side wall for pressure limits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement