Wing or wee-strom? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

DV,

I don't think you're thinking wrong at all. I've got several years on most of the posters and essentially just did the same thing, for the same reasons.

About a month ago I swapped a very good '08 Concours C-14 ABS for an '09 Wee ABS. My riding is mainly long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies. The C-14 had 29K miles in 25 months. It just got to the place where it was just too heavy for me to comfortably/confidently handle -- and I just did not want to drop it. Also, the riding position was putting a lot of weight on my hands/wrists/forearms, even with bar risers.

The Wee is more than 200# lighter and very much more manageable. The more upright riding position is easier on my body. I did not look at a Vee -- 45# heavier, bulkier and I figured I did not need the extra power since I only ride one-up.

I've got 1300 miles on it already and I'm having a ball. The break-in miles are finally done and I can rev it as I wish. With the 16T front sprocket, 6000 RPM is 80 MPH by the GPS. That's a great plenty for me and the engine is smoothly humming at that speed.

Naturally, it needs to be set-up for longer distances but we have winter here so I'll have something to do. It'll be ready by spring and that first trip of the year, which has been The Hill Country of Texas four of the last five years. I'm looking forward to it.

Ride safe.

'09 DL650 ABS (Sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Glade to see you are enjoying it Chuck . I have given you plenty of tips on accessories to fit so you should be busy over winter and ready for spring .

You know there are very few bad bikes these days most bikes are really good at what they were designed to do . Trouble is some people try to use them the wrong way . The wee is a GOOD all round motor bike and easy to live with .

Rent a wee for a weekend and see if you like it ,they do grow on you .

On a trip no one gets there much faster than me ( I generally ride tale end charlie ) . But I arrrive for an out of condition overweight slob in much better condition than nearly everyone.

The wee to me is an open road go anywhere type bike . I now try and travell with the least amount of gear just a top box for my gear . The rear seat for a tent and sleeping bag if required . I figure after 5 days I wash my clothes and start again , cooking hell I want to enjoy myself I just buy it . It works for me .
Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle View Post
I own both an 02 GL1800ABS and an 08 Wee Strom. The Wee is a great adventure tourer and twisty road basher but there are other bikes that could be considered if light weight touring is your objective. I have ordered a new Honda NT700V shaft drive tourer with hard bags and decent fairing. It will cost twice as much as I paid for used 08 Wee but what the hell we only go around once. //
Interesting bike: looks like a cross between a V-0Strom and the Pacific Coast. Should be a great commuter. I guess it's called the "Deauville" elsewhere.\

Last edited by garandman; 11-17-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have an 04 Wing that I have put 90K miles on. After this summer's 3 month tour of the USA my wife and I talked and decided that the wing is just too big and heavy. It is great for gobbling up interstate miles but we prefer back roads, sight seeing speeds and campgrounds instead of motels. So I bought a used Wee and an setting it up for my one-up touring as a test. I have had Spencer redo the seat, installed a California Scientific windshield, changed the gearing to 16-45 and a NEP throttle lock. I did an initial test before these mods from Albuquerque to the San Francisco bay area through Utah and Nevada doing 500 mile days. It was quickly evident that the seat and windshield mods were needed. I bought the windshield while in California. It was a big help for wind noise and weather protection. I rode about 40 miles yesterday in 25 degree temperatures mostly at speeds above 60 mph and was not overly cold except for my hands but I was not wearing leather gloves. My wife and I went on a 180 mile ride for lunch the other day, interstate going and back roads returning. The 650 pulled us at 75 mph on the interstate easily. Naturally the bike is not as comfortable as the wing and I miss the cruise control and intercom but not the weight and long wheelbase. I believe that the bike will be fine for one-up cross country touring and an occasional 2-up weekend but not for our annual summer trips which are typically 10K miles and 3-4 weeks long. Luggage space will also be an issue for 2 up touring, we pull a Bushtec with the wing for long trips. Hopefully one day this week I will take a 500 mile ride to test the Spencer seat.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

DeVere; Unload that big slug, bin there done that and join the club. . Your getting older, (and apparently smarter). See what a motorcycle is actually supposed to be like. It's not you that can't turn well at low speeds, it's that 1/2 ton I can't wait to see your first WEE post.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry for slight thread high jack, but, would that Honda NT700V not be subject to buffeting? Will they never learn!!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default I plan to keep both

I have a GL1500 and a DL650 and I feel lucky to have them both. I've ridden the Goldwing from Fairbanks to San Diego and just about everywhere in between. They are wonderful bikes with a well deserved reputation for comfort, reliability, and putting in effortless miles (km up here). But I got the V-Strom because I wanted a chance to go further, to experience roads that the Goldwing is just too much of a handful on. I still want to get up to the Arctic Ocean and I've seen what happens to Goldwings and other cruisers that have tried. The Wee is a blast to ride and I find it very stable and safe. But I have to admit, if you told me I could only keep one of my bikes I think the Wee would win - riding is just more fun on a V-Strom!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The Honda Deauville is not as good as a wee by a long margin .

I do 14 hour days and love it ,if you want faster travell go to the airport . If you want comfort LIMO , if you want jail any fast bike and a strong wrist

Everything in life is a compromise ,what are you prepared to give up and what do you want to gain ? that is a question for you .
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
$tromtrooper

I have been riding my 04 Wee for 4 full years and almost 100K km. My longest trip was 14Kkm 2-up camping from Toronto to the Pacific Coast and then south through the California High Sierras and back to Toronto, hitting many of the large national parks. My avitar is a stop on the Bonneville Salt Falts, you can see how I have added to the stock Wee to get the necessary luggage volume for a 4-week trip with camping gear.
I am now retired and my wife will be taking a year off starting June 2012. By that time we will need a new bike and I have been looking for a small displacement tourer that will accommodate 100L (25+ gal or 6+ cft) of luggage space, which is what I have in the current hard cases. The big boat tourer?cruisers are too heavy and have very poor gas economy ,over 5L/100km (less than 50 mpg) and poor engine performance, with a $20K+ price. The 1000cc+ sport tourers have better performance and somewhat less weight but very limited luggage (would you want to add a trailer to a Conny 14?).
I know I can buy a new Wee ABS for $10K and add $3K for luggage, seat, windshield, and hand guards, to build a mini tourer. There is nothing else out there. (maybe the Vulcan 900 with lots of add-ons)
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMassey View Post

Also interesting is that I also have an '08 KLR that I bought prior to getting the Vee. It is now for sale as I never ride it anymore! Anything that I can do on the KLR I can do on the Vee. I have thrashed the Vee unmercifully off-road and it never misses a beat. Other than standing more than I did on the KLR, it is a far better overall machine on the forest and logging trails, and of course no comparison when back to the blacktop.
This is interesting I would never take the wee anywhere close to where I have taken the KLR. Everyone's different...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement