Oem Exhaust-drill Inside Or Outside - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 - 2004 to 2011

DL650 - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've never understood this mod !!.
Do people really think they can in 20 minutes with a drill better what engineers at Suzuki AND aftermarket exaust companies can do with $1,000,000 !!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
[B]Facebook[/B]..PNW Adventure Riders..[B]Facebook[/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM
$tromtrooper

please don't drill out your exhaust...

you aren't going to get anything good out of it but a fart noise and some back firing...if you really want it louder just save up and buy an exhaust that is designed and tuned for the bike...you are doing more harm than good...

if you want it louder for cheaper now just do the "pea shooter" mod...at least that is reversible with a new piece of pipe...stock exhausts aren't cheap to replace if you mess up yours by drilling it out...

i used to want to mod mine for more noise...but i've really come to enjoy the quietness of the bike...she has a nice note and tone when you get her revved up too...

please think about it before you do anything...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

I bought my son a Ford ranger when it was 17,it had a brand new exhaust front to back.Him and a friend got a 9/16 drill bit and drilled the shit out of the NEW muffler so it would be louder and then he would not drive it becuase it sounded so bad!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
[B]Facebook[/B]..PNW Adventure Riders..[B]Facebook[/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I removed the end cap and then drilled around the perimeter under the cap. I drilled 1" holes and did one them rode etc.

After putting the end cap back on the noise was not terrible loud and the bike did rev/breath better. But not at the expense of being annoying. I left the pea shooter alone. So I still have the cats etc in the pipe it just is a little more aggressive.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I took a ride with a dude who replaced the original with a slip on unit. I forget the name, want to say Scorpion, but anywho it sounded nice. It had that deep Ducati type sound. I remember looking at it a few years back, it was about $350 then. Seems more logical than taking a chance with drilling holes in a perfectly good exhaust.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Stock Exhaust

Stock Exhaust Mod: My results
I did a search to see if anyone has done this type of muffler mod before I posted, I didn't see anything.

I bought an extra set of stock mufflers for my bike before I did anything. Then I decided to try this one I found on youtube.

"How to modify your V-strom dl1000 exhaust"
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JW4vYtU2-g

It is quieter than aftermarket pipes and it is much louder than stock! But it sounds so good! I've ridden it (update) Several thousand miles! I LOVE it!
89 TRX 250R
Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Go For It!

While I saved up for my Akrapovic, I tried the following free mods on my 2009 650.

I cut off about three quarters of an inch off the pea shooter first. The sound changed very little and was barely noticeable.

I wanted a deeper tone, so I drilled quarter inch holes evenly spaced around the peashooter. I started with four, put the cap back on and tested it out. The sound was deeper at idle and the lower rpm range while accelerating. I never experienced the dreaded fart sounds, backfires, or any other negative responses.

I ran it that way for about a week or so and decided to try to deepen the sound just a little more by drilling four additional quarter inch holes evenly spaced between the first four. The sound deepened a bit more at idle and again at lower rpm acceleration. I never experienced any fart sounds nor did the bike ever backfire or exhibit any negative responses to the changes. I was pleased with the changes and would do it again. It did not sound as good as an aftermarket pipe, but it was much better sounding than stock.

I say go for it and enjoy making your bike our own. These holes are simple to fix with basic welding and you can easily weld the peashooter back on if needed.

I recently installed my Akrapovic pipe which looks sportier with cleaner lines, weighs less, and sounds incredible. Of course, it was expensive, but worth it to me.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbronco_74 View Post
please don't drill out your exhaust...

+1 + infinity

My experience
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Drove a 3/4 inch elongated sharpened spike down the guts of my stockies ...a little deeper sound and no crackle or popping as some describe..was ok then picked up a set of 2nd hand aftermarket stainless cans off a guy from near my place ..real ducatish sound and deep ..pulls like a train now..that with a better air filter and the TRE unit ...a real sweet machine now 1000cc never felt so good..

Would like one of those devices now to adjust the mixtures on the run..do a bit of fine tuning !
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Put more miles on the bike.
It's gonads drop after 10 -12K and the exhaust note deepens nicely.
agreed. my bike sounds much better after 20k on the stock pipes
2000 Suzuki TL1000R
1977 Suzuki GS550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement