StromTrooper banner

What are the proposed differences between 2018 Vee and 2016 Vee?

16K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  The Infidel 
#1 ·
Just curious how much difference there will be when the new one arrives. There seems to be some good deals on the 2016 Vee and it is tempting!! Thanks!

#29 ·
Don't forget the LRPMA, ( Low RPM Assist) Easy Start System, Conical handlebar and the Motion Track Brake System.

Peter

Conical handlebar, this must be on the 17 as well and why the different part number for the OEM heated grips. Which of course I like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Have just ordered a yellow dl000A and ASSUME I will have to sort out the "to far from the handlebar, and there's no slack" issue. I get a little hopeful when you write "conical handlebar". Is your impression they have actually changed something about the distance rider-handlebar?

//Daniel

#15 · (Edited)
Bosnjo sent me this. I thought it was too good not to post.

It looks like all our parts for the 2014+ DL1000 are likely to carry forward to the 2017/2018 DL1000.

I have not been able to get a look at the front fairing sub frame yet. This is where our light bar attaches. Would greatly appreciate it if someone with a Vee3 would take a pic like this and either post it or send it to me.

https://youtu.be/Z0AylnOExs4?t=262

#19 · (Edited)
This any good. Not much to attach to under there, other than the horn bolt. The horn mounting is 50mm above the lower edge of the beak and putting a 15mm bar across that point (second hex screw where plastic meets) the there is 15mm clearance in front of the forks at maximum turn. If you want more detail let me know. The plastic beak has a lot of flex in it, so not much use fixing on that.

Attachments

#24 ·
The newer front end looks nice. I was in the dealer yesterday and a new and leftover were side by side. Front end differences: 1) the beak, 2) the headlight cowl that surrounds the light is different shape, 3) front-side cowl (the one that's brushed aluminum on 2014-2016). The rest of any differences in the front end cosmetic change seems to be tasteful decals and paint.

If you price this out please post up detailed cost.

#23 ·
Excuse me for being late, if you have figured it for the 2017/18 no problem. I have my fogs on the crash bars, but I like the idea of them being higher. You might have a customer if I fit the spot lamps.
Regards

#22 ·
ugly

Never saw a v-strom I did not think was ugly. That's why I have two.:grin2: Some are a nice color like the 09 Wee. Thats lip stick on a lab.:kiss: The can do makes it a winner. My little pack mule and tour ox. All these little extras make me and other old guys think back.A dirt bike or on /off with a elc. start?!:nerd:
Had a lot of kick start only and bet the little 650 Wee would be so easy to kick start.With your hand if you wanted! My old 66 FLH first year of shovel I bought just to chop around 1970.It drew more people around it than any bike I ever owned. Some cute gal said I looked real cool starting it...so like any young guy I got it down pat.Kicker all the way up after two slow through kicks.Choke all the way on,key on.climb up on the kicker with left leg,stick right leg as far out as you can with the bell bottom in the wind.Bring all your 160 pounds down like you are killing a rattle snake! The shovel with open drag pipes sounded so good.
I never went far out of state on it but it was a fun bike.:wink2:

#25 ·
i am wondering if you can swipe the front cowling between the 16 & 18

#35 ·
I like the Easy Start just because I don't need to hold the clutch for bike to start. I usually have the helmeth and gloves in my left hand so it's nice just to press the button and start the bike. But, that's not the point of Easy Start. Easy Start is not to keep the starter button pressed. Well, I don't need that, I only needed clutchless start and I have it.
Do US models bring clutchless start?

#36 ·
I have purchased a new left over 16 with the various farkles offered with the package over here. I am curious about the easy start. The 16 Demo that I tried prior to purchasing showed no difficulty starting and fired up hot or cold without issue. I am aware that big vee twins can damage their starter gears or spit off their throttle bodies if they spit back thru the intakes during a lean combustion moment. Is that why the easy start has been introduced ?.

#39 ·
If pulling and holding the clutch is too much, it may be time to give up motorcycling or maybe a Hondamatic should be in your garage. It can be disabled very easily, though.

If you can't push and hold a button, well It may be time to give up everything.

#40 ·
The first thing I do is start the bike. Then I do all the rest. allowing my bike to warm up. Now, don't tell me it's not needed, it's just hit the starter and go. Let me tell you, it's wrong. 35 years of riding and many years as car mechanic, I know what I'm talking about.

#42 ·
I'm a little sad bikes don't have kickstarters anymore, but that's another subject. I'm not pushing to go backwards, it just strikes me as the ultimate in laziness to complain that you have to hold a button until the engine starts.

I'm sure we don't have it here because of the protective regulations to save us from our own stupidity. The lowlifes that hire a lawyer and sue somebody (especially manufacturers) anytime they do something stupid, has changed things for all the rest of us.

#43 ·
To a point I agree bighammer, I love classics whether it be bikes or cars and can't help but drool when I see one that has been restored or even better in mint original condition. But would I use one as an every-day driver/rider now that I have become used to all the technology, I don't think so.
One of the things I do love about the Vstrom is that it hasn't gone overboard in giving us every new piece of technology out there, just enough to keep us all safe haha. In fact the only thing I crave for it, is cruise control. But the little luxuries of Low RPM Assist and Easy Start are just icing on the cake.

#45 ·
Back to what is different on the 2018.....

They claim a new clutch basket! It has a different part number. I have already had my paws on one and took it apart. Outside it is IDENTICAL to the 2014 version. Once again Suzuki has attempted to fix problems with the original design. However, they don't seem to have totally fixed what causes chudder. They have changed the machining on the steel gear to a ground bearing surface where it fits into the basket. That is good, it will wear the aluminum less. But it is also bad because it still has the same cast aluminum ( non machined ) aluminum surface to run on. They also machined the steel gear flat where the Belleville washers sit and added a hardened steel washer. This is good, I think it will reduce wear on these Belleville washers. But that was never really a big problem anyway.

I will probably use these to build my new OEM WERKS modified clutch baskets as I like the hardened washer. I was machining the bearing surface of the gear anyway.....

#46 ·
In addition to all that was mentioned above, the '18 windscreen is different, the tank is narrower at the rear, The seat-supporting subframe is black instead of silver, the color of the muffler is different, the bezel surrounding the tachometer is different, the revised ECU allows the engine to be Euro-4 compliant, there is a new-for- '18 55L top box and required steel mounting plate, and--I may be wrong here, going by memory, but I think the footpegs are now black-painted instead of silver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.