2014 DL1000 (Cycle World) ... U like? - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000A - 2014+

DL1000A - 2014+ The beak-strom?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think it looks pretty good. I like it better than the 650 change this year. The windscreen is tiny though; it will need an aftermarket for sure. My main concern in buying one would be the aforementioned mechanical issues; hopefully, those will be addrssed as well as a new look.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
I think it looks pretty good.
I like it better than the 650 change this year.
It amazing how peoples taste differ.
I myself liked the new DL650 styling and hate the concept Vee's sharply defined edges and general bling-bling styling.
IMHO, the pointed beak effect even looks odd on the almighty Ducati.

And to think that Suzuki has to figure out what will sell before they even start scratching out the prototype.
Pleasing us buyers is a difficult market task indeed.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
It amazing how peoples taste differ.
I myself liked the new DL650 styling and hate the concept Vee's sharply defined edges and general bling-bling styling....And to think that Suzuki has to figure out what will sell before they even start scratching out the prototype....Pleasing us buyers is a difficult market task indeed.
You're right, everyone has their own tastes. My 65 year-old sport-bike-only riding friend likes the 04-11 look better than the 12. I kind of do too, even though it's dated and ugly to begin with.

I think the 2014 concept look will get a few buyers if they like the bike as a whole. And to me, that means updating the mechanicals as well, which I am sure they will do. One small detail I do not care for is the double set of hangers welded to the right side of the frame; one for the muffler and another for the passenger pegs. Seems like they could have thought that out a bit more and cleaned up the look.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
My 65 year-old sport-bike-only riding friend likes the 04-11 look better than the 12.

One small detail I do not care for is the double set of hangers welded to the right side of the frame; one for the muffler and another for the passenger pegs.
Seems like they could have thought that out a bit more and cleaned up the look.

Two item come to mind...
1.) So I should have at least eight and a half more years of riding left in me.

2.) I'll assume the actual production bikes will have numerous tweaks in their construction for the sake of "mass production" as compared to the somewhat patched together concept/prototype units that are currently floating around the media.

When the actual production bikes hit showroom floors at our local dealers it's gonna' be a blast to go hands-on.
I'll be there!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
1.) So I should have at least eight and a half more years of riding left in me.
Well you should. He's probably on the verge of 66 and he just picked up his new ZX-14 a month ago. I think he feels like he's just getting started. I hope I can test ride it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am currently in the market for a new Vee, and I do not like the looks of the beaked version. Inverted forks mean nothing to me, nor do radial mounted brakes. If the seat height was lower (which I doubt), I would consider waiting for one.
It seems that they are taking the model towards the "GS/Multi" direction, and I do not like that.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Default 4-piston calipers, USD forks, and ABS ... finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWArkie View Post
Can you still install a fork brace on the upside down forks? I like the new look, but the mud guard (i.e. "beak") could be shorter and less intrusive.
USD forks do not need a fork brace. In my experience the front end on the old V-Strom (650 and 1000) was weak from a braking and fork flex standpoint. Congrats to Suzuki for the USD forks AND 4-piston calipers with ABS.

I've never heard of anyone using a fork brace on an USD fork. From what I know, the fork braces began to be popular, in the after market accessory market, in conventional forks in the late 1970s and 1980s to improve handling and overcome basic design flaws in the suspension. V-max owners often outfitted these. V-Strom owners have generally praised the fork brace. In the dirt realm, some peopel have found mixed success with fork braces on air cooled XR series bikes.

I had a fork brace on an XR400R and it was insufficient. The front end would still follow a rut or slide on a log when crossing at a 45 degree angle, though not as bad as without the brace. The solution was two-fold: 1) improve my skills, 2) buy a more modern bike with USD forks. My KTM 300XC with USD forks can cross ruts and downed trees at angles that would have slid out my old XR400R even with the fork brace. The modern forked bike on the same trail with same rider made a nice difference in the subjective feel of the front end. It did NOT make me any faster however.

As far as braking, the old 2-piston calipers were so damn anemic on the V-Strom for emergency braking on the road IMO. Try riding a BMW R1200GS, Multistrada, or even a new generation V-Max (6-piston calipers) and you will immediately see how confidence inspiring properly outfitted motorcycle brakes can be on a truly modern bike.

Last edited by KevinP; 12-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Moderator++

There is no reason for a fork brace on a USD fork. The design itself makes for a better relationship between the two sides.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Boy that's some ugly bike. Very disjointed in my opinion and the beak is gross. Same motor w no changes. Coming out in 2014 I hear. I think I like the old one much better.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I love the bike except for the beak, but that would not stop me from buying it. I LOVE the color combo, the low exhaust and the look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.