StromTrooper banner

Rode a Triumph XRx so let's compare to the V2

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  The Golden Monkey 
#1 ·
After riding the Triumph XRx I can confidently say the VStrom 1000 is better for me. While I truly love the triple engine and the finish on the Triumph is better, the fact that it's suspension is not adjustable makes the V2 way better on the roads of NY. While the XRx isn't a harsh ride, it's definitely stiff. I like a more compliant suspension and the V2 definitely is. The triple has a great sound and the throttle is linear in acceleration. The V2 has great power and much more grunt in the low end. Going 100 is easy in both bikes. Brakes and tranny were about equal although I'd give the edge to the V2. I could see the Triumph for day trips but the road feel would become tiresome after many miles. The V2 eats up the miles and I'd be more comfortable on long trips with my bike. I do agree the grin factor on the Triumph is definitely better. The engine is instantly responsive but I think the V2 feels more planted and responds to rider input in turns better. I would say that for daily commuting the V2 is just a great bike. Dependable and gets the job done. The Triumph is more exciting to ride but I'm not sure I need that excitement every time I'm heading to work or coming home after a hard day. I do like all the electrical options on the Triumph. A lot of choices. I'm not sure how often I'd use them once I have the bike set up. Cruise control is a nice option as well.
So, that's my brief review. I know I was very curious between the 2 bikes and thought I'd share my experience. Now let the fun begin. :grin2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I was considering 2 bikes when I went shopping. the XRx and the FJ-09. The Triumph I liked a lot and I would have one had the dealer made a reasonable offer on my trade. The bike was comfortable, had cruise and the engine was super smooth. In hindsight I do find my VStrom more comfortable. So I then went to ride the FJ 09 and I do not understand the attraction to this bike/engine. I never rode a bike with that much engine vibration in my life. I truly wonder if there was an issue with the engine. It just so happens that the dealer with Yamaha was also a Suzuki store and had the VStrom discounted. Rode it and loved it completely. Just about as smooth as the Triumph but the VStrom is all day comfortable. I am very happy I lucked into the Suzuki. If it had cruise it would be perfect but the bike is close enough to perfect for me as it is.

#4 ·
I had a tiger 800 for 3 years before the v2.i was for getting a xrx till I rode it and realised they hadn't improved it at all really. Sure it got riding mode's and traction control but it still had the same old harsh suspension, weak brakes and wrong size front tyre. I got the v2 for the same money as a base xr800.
Only thing I miss is the ligth weight of the tiger and the finish.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm looking at the same two bikes, along with the Tiger 800 XCx. I owned two V-Strom 650s for a total of seven years, and have been on a Tiger 1050 for the last year. I love the triple, and the suspension and brakes are a huge upgrade from the Wee, but the 1050 is a little heavy, gets terrible mileage (compared to the Wee obviously), and is 100% road. Also I'd like to have traction control at the very least, and rider modes and electronic cruise control would be nice extras.

I don't go off pavement much, but would like to be able to do a little more — and I'm not one of those highly skilled dirt riders who can take almost any bike offroad. So I'm looking within the 'mild adventure' class with at least a 19" front wheel, which is great for less-than-perfect roads as well. After living with 4-piston radial calipers and good adjustable suspension for the last year, I am loathe to give them up. Also with a more frequent passenger now, I want at least 85+hp.

From my reading so far, here's what I see as the pros and cons of each:

DL1000A
Pro:
fully adjustable suspension
good brakes
a bit more power
Con:
heavier (but not bad)
no cruise control or rider modes
a bit boring

Tiger 800 XRx
Pro:
sweet triple
lighter
rider modes + cruise
Con:
no suspension adjustment
brakes just ok

Tiger 800 XCx
Pro:
sweet triple
lighter
rider modes + cruise
adjustable suspension
Con:
handling not as good on-road? (this could be a big one)
more dirt-oriented than I really need?

My next step is to go ride them all back-to-back, but I'm waiting until it cools down a bit here in TX so I can focus more on the bikes than on how freaking hot it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.