StromTrooper banner

Dl1000A TBS procedure

8K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  BigThump 
#1 ·
Are the procedures for TBS the same on the V2 as earlier models? I noticed that it is recommended for CA. bikes at first service. I'm about half way there, bike is running well feeling more comfortable every outing.

#30 ·
It is a dealer procedure.
It is included in the first service, at least here in California.
On my bike it was smoother afterwards. Not faster. No miracle. But prior the cylinders were in a slight struggle.

Reactions: BigThump
#3 · (Edited)
I believe the procedure is more complex. It changed on the Wee in 2007. The Vee2 also lost the ability for the user to set the idle speed, just like the 2007 Wee. I would leave it alone. The early TBS on CA bikes is about air quality, not how well the bike runs.

Unless somebody with a Vee2 service manual says otherwise, I'll bet the TBS is just an idle air screw adjustment.

#4 ·
my understanding is that it's something only a dealer can do as you have to have the suzuki "computer"hooked up to the bike.

#7 ·
I know what you mean! I always did my own work, but I'm beginning to realize, it's becoming tougher than it used to be at my age. Much easier to go out, turn the key and just ride. Old age or just getting lazy? Maybe I should check with my Doctor? :)

#9 ·
I had a throttle body sync (TBS) done under warranty at the dealer where I bought the bike (2014 DL1000A). The purpose was to help quiet the engine at idle (clack, clack, idle hammer?). When I got the bike back it was quieter and smoother in accelerating however it had an abrupt off throttle when attempting to slow down gradually at 3000 rpm and slower. Riding in stop and go traffic was irritating - no stalling but an abrupt lurching as if the throttle had been quickly closed even though it had only been closed a fraction.

I asked the dealer if the bike had been put on the computer, but was told no. Apparently only the throttle body sync had been done.

I called another dealer and talked with the mechanic there. He said that the TBS had apparently been done wrong and that the Throttle Position Sensor needed to be set using the computer during the TBS. Maybe this is part of the ECU reset?

I have decided to pay the money and get the TBS done at the 2nd dealer where the mechanic appears to know how to do a proper TBS.

I'll repost to report the results from the 2nd TBS and whatever more info I get about the need for the computer.

#10 ·
Thanks Wander, Keep us posted, sounds like it may be a manual adjustment but the computer needs to upload the change to the ECU?

Sounds like I'm going to need to find a dealer in my area that knows what they are doing.

Does anyone in San Diego have experience with a quality service department?

#13 ·
Oh yeah,sorry......you need the service manual as well. I haven't made any alterations yet, just plugged the tool in and downloaded the info to my laptop. Throttle bodies were pretty much in sync so will leave it until the 24000km service to do a balance. These items may sound expensive up front, but only one or two services and you have your money back.

#14 ·
Thanks. I'd be interested in hearing about your procedures when you do get to that point.

I have done oil changes and other limited mechanical maintenance on my bikes but am a little leery of pulling the tank etc.

I think I'll start with getting the service manual and studying what's involved.

In the mean time I'll pay the piper because I need to get it corrected in the short term.

#15 ·
I'm thinking the TBS situation with the Vee2 is on a par with the situation on post 2007 650s. On the 650, the throttle body linkage is set at the factory and is not to be touched. The TBS is only an idle air screw adjustment and is best left alone as long as idle and just off idle is working okay. It's not at all like the old Vee that really needed regular TBS adjustments. If anyone with a service manual sees anything different, please say so.

#18 ·
I took my V2 back a few days after I got it (and 600 miles) and asked them to sync the throttle body cables. Initially, they said that was done at a later service. But I explained that while it ran OK, it felt like it was struggling. They did it and the bike ran much better. Later on I had the ECU replaced for the new one and now it runs like I expected it to run. Like my SV650 with bigger stones and better suspension / brakes, etc.
The initial sync was the cables only. I know there is a built in animus about dealers (me too) but a good one is good.

#17 ·
GW, when I hear someone has had the TBs synced and it made a world of difference on their V2 I have to think that even those little Oriental fanatics over there sometimes get it wrong. Case in point was the throttle cables that, in my and several others cases, came from the factory fully adjusted out at the TBs and had to be backed way off to make the adjustment at the handlebar. So, prolly down the road a piece and when I am hanging around my dealer some 300+ kms away I will get them to do a check. Maybe.
And, Strom; that tool is pretty cool but for the one or two times I might use it, the price do not justify the means.

#19 ·
There is only one opening throttle cable. The other throttle cable is a closing cable in case the linkage sticks. Did they balance the linkage or adjust the throttle cable free play? The latter is not a synch. The manual specifies synchronizing the idle air screws only which will only affect the idle and just off idle. Throttle linkage adjustments are not covered in the manual and the cables have nothing to do with synching. It's not like some other bikes that have a separate cable opening each carb/throttle body. As far as "feel" is concerned, some people feel the engine feels better if the vehicle gets washed.

See DL1000A (L4) SERVICE MANUAL and search for synch

#21 ·
GreyWolf, I fully understand that there is one cable which moves linkage arms which in turn open the "gates" in unison. I apologize for using the plural form of the word cable. My point was that the factory assembly of the mechanical linkage was not as accurate as it could be. I did not stand next to the service tech and look over his shoulder. I took his word for it.

Regarding your comment, "As far as "feel" is concerned, some people feel the engine feels better if the vehicle gets washed." I'm sure you didn't mean to be dismissive and imply that I'm some silly rider who can't tell the difference between a sharply tuned engine and a car wash. As always, I respect and appreciate your contributions to the V-Strom community.

#20 ·
Used to do all my syncing myself. Guess that ended when you needed dealer box just to zero the throttle position. You know, if an industrious person with an electronics background wanted to get rich I don't see why he/she could not come with that single aspect needed to do the job. IE; a TPS zeroing button. something that could certainly be sold for a reasonable amount of bucks. And by that I mean like $20 to $50?

#23 ·
NVDucati,

I don't know the great majority of people here personally so I can't provide an opinion on levels of competency and have no idea of yours. In general, hardly anybody is sensitive enough to engine changes to accurately detect a real change by the seat of their pants unless the change is dramatic. On the other hand, the great majority seem to be happy to testify the was a 2.3587% increase in power when the air filter was changed to XYZ brand. I'll regularly mention the placebo effect because it is real. People who are happy about spending money and making changes are really happy and that's important. Other people won't be happy with the same changes and that's important too.

Suzuki warns against changing linkage adjustments because the EPA in the USA and other agencies in other countries doesn't like owners playing with stuff that affect emissions. I'm in a bah-humbug mood after seeing a bunch of people on car and motorcycle sites I've read in the past few days bragging about big changes when it's far more likely that the biggest change in performance is due to lighter wallets. It's very believable that a linkage adjustment may make the bike behave better. Making the fuel mixture richer can too. Do either and Suzuki is no longer responsible for emissions. I'll just take any seat of the pants dyno results with a large grain of salt and hope I'll save some people some time and money while still allowing others to buy happiness. Maybe it will cut down on the number of people who adjust their linkage, especially DL650 owners since 2007 and DL1000 owners since 2014, and can't get the bike to run right again.

I do want reports of changes to be as accurate as possible so I wanted to clear up the reference to synching cables as that is not possible. As for taking a mechanic's word for anything, I'll allow others to comment because I've already ruffled enough feathers. Those interested in a Vee2 TBS can check the link I posted and decide what they want to do.

As for my personal experience, I took a 2007 DL650 to a dealer for a TBS, made sure it was being done with a Suzuki SDS tool, and talked to the tech about what he found. He said the reading was about an inch of Hg different. He was surprised as the dealership advised against doing a TBS on 2007 and later Wees as it wasn't needed. The engine was smooth at a little under 3000rpm when I brought it in. When I left, it could get down to about 2500rpm okay so I did notice a difference but that was the only difference I noticed. I went over the bike and tightened one loose fairing bolt. I also did the bolt holding down the back of the tank as it was only started and not run in at all. On the other hand, it was idling at the proper rpm so he had to have done an ISC reset so good marks for him on that.

#25 ·
I don't have any further information. If you know you want to do your own work, buying a legitimate service manual will be high on your list of things to do.

#27 ·
It works with Firefox for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.