StromTrooper banner

Lowering the Front End

14K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  161978 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone raised the fork tubes in the triple clamp on the Vee2?? If so, by how how much (10 to 20mm??), was the effect noticeable and how do you like it??

#2 ·
I just raised the fork tubes/lowered the triple tree by 20mm. It made a huge difference in the cornering effort. However, this was done after I lowered the rear end by the same 20mm. I rode the Vstrom 650 for 8 months with the rear end lowered and a few weeks ago I rode back roads aggressively and found cornering to be harder than it should, and the bike wanted to stand up in the tight corners. I then lowered the front end by 20mm and it transformed the bike's handling. For some odd reason, even thought I'm slightly canted more forward on my wrists, it feels more natural perhaps because it takes less effort to turn.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
15mm through, perfect for my style of riding. Honestly, all of the adjustments that get mentioned in these forums are personal and should be regarded as suggestions only. Try it 5mm at a time and see what you think. Quicken the steering and lose ground clearance, it's a personal choice. Good luck mate :thumbup:

#5 ·
This is exactly (15mm) what I did with my V1 and I liked it. I just wanted to hear from someone who had done it on their V2 before I did it to my bike. Do you feel any more pressure on your wrists??, that would be my only concern. I'm generally a street rider, maybe a gravel road whenever, so I'm not concerned with ground clearance, the lost I mean loss is minimal.

Greywolf, how's my spelling?? hahahahaha

#4 ·
Applied Adventuretech's 1" lowering plates. Lowered the front same. No noticeable steering differences detected by me. Scraped one of those pins sticking out below the peg once when heavily loaded. Still corners like a barrel racing horse.

#6 ·
Note to self - musn't post on forums after half a bottle of JD.........! No mate, no discernible difference in the pressure on your wrists. I have found that the bashplate scrapes on fast, bumpy bitumen, but that's the trade off for lessening the understeer. Spellcheck tells me that I have spelt 4 words incorrectly so far.........wonder what the teacher will say..........

Reactions: Nail34
#10 ·
There are 2 ways to lower the front end. You can raise the fork tubes in the triple clamp and not change the rear or you can get riser plates from Rick (AdventureTech), raise the rear and not change the front like a bloke on AdvRider did. The former reduces ground clearance and the latter increases it. The result of either method will speed up turn-in and level 2-up riding slightly. Some concerns are seat height and center stand.

#12 · (Edited)
I raised my forks in the triple tree by 10mm on my 2014 Vee2, and it made the bike more manageable for my short legs. I was surprised at how such a small amount of change would make such a difference. No pressure on my wrists. However, I did add Rok risers (1" up and 1" back) so maybe that helps. I love this bike!

#13 ·
Great response Thumper, thx mucho!!, that is the set-up I had on my V1. I would like up and backs but don't have the cable length so I'm planning on re-routing the cables behind the triple tree, will raise the forks at the same time. My very able mechanic will be performing the surgery with me in attendance. I have an allergic reaction to working with tools so I avoid contact at any cost, which leads to any cost. I know, shame, shame on me.

#19 ·
I am 5'7" and just bought a new wee . I have lowered the back 1" and droped the front almost the same. Just today i fitted swmototech bar raiser, up 1inch and back 1inch. I did not have to extend any cables or brake lines, just released them from the cable clips. These three adjustments have transformed the bike for me making it very manageable and boosting my confidence as a new rider. Love this bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.