StromTrooper banner

Less Horsepower??

5K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  V-Tom 
#1 ·
Quite often the lower hp of the V2 is mentioned vis-a-vis its peers, so I have a challenge for you. Take TC off, while slowly rolling nail it wot, run it to @8500 rpms, quickly and I mean quickly shift into 2nd, it's easy to miss it, and "keep" accelerating, don't let the bike slow down. WhooHoo!! :surprise:
The point being, I don't know if I could handle 20 more ponies even though I want them. Damn I love speed!! Is it ok to say that??

#5 ·
Quite often the lower hp of the V2 is mentioned vis-a-vis its peers, so I have a challenge for you. Take TC off, while slowly rolling nail it wot, run it to @8500 rpms, quickly and I mean quickly shift into 2nd, it's easy to miss it, and "keep" accelerating, don't let the bike slow down. WhooHoo!!

The point being, I don't know if I could handle 20 more ponies even though I want them. Damn I love speed!! Is it ok to say that??
I wish you could have had a ride on my 2014 GSXR 1000. Hit that throttle in second wide open and the front is coming off the ground. But once you get to about 10k RPM the bike grows devil horns and that's when it gets real. Never ever have I feel such speed like my GSXR.

#7 ·
Ok, now you've got me salivating. GSXR's, R1's, ZX14's, S1000's, I always wanted to own a Hayabusa, such a gorgeous bike. Yeah, I know, so impractical on the street, but who cares, lust conquers all.

#6 ·
we are big motor go fast American males
every time we see detuned for torque
we assume that means way slower
and we run away from a great bike because of it

my ctx1300 uses an st1300 motor that was tuned for a cruiser
25 less hp and more torque
because of the hp drop Honda cant sell the bike
I am here to tell you it will pull your arms off
not liter bike fast but pulls like a train fast

low end torque is what you get when you stay away from the big sportbikes
and torque is what you want on the street

that's why I like the idea of the new 1000 strom
I don't want to rev to the moon to go fast

#12 ·
I drove trucks to much to like the high revving sewing machine sound. If I can't 'dead throttle start' something I just don't want to drive it. The stump pulling torque pushes my buttons far more than gobs of HP. I love my Beaky-Strom.
:grin2:

Reactions: Dave.A
#14 ·
What most folks don't think about is usability of high HP. It's great to have 150hp, when you can actually use that much power. But face it, unless you are on a track, lighting the wick on that much power on public roads is really risky.

The Vee2 has plenty of power. I don't find it lacking at all.

#15 ·
Agreed!! I rode a Multistrada (150 hp) unsupervisefor 100 miles on back roads, coastal roads and freeways, always in sport mode, and I didn't ride any faster than I do on my strom and of course I never went WOT. However, I had a blast, the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. Whoohoo!!

#18 ·
I couldn't even remotely imagine riding a motorcycle with upwards of 200 horsepower.

This bike is more powerful than all the sport bikes I've owned in years past. I don't need anymore power.

#20 ·
My son had an R6, he's an inexperienced rider, all he wanted to do was wheelies and stopies, he fell often. Now he has 3 kids and doesn't ride anymore, thank goodness!!

I rode it for 30 miles, very fast, tons of fun, visit to the chiropractor.
Give me a Strom any day!!

#21 ·
I would love a KTM and have ridden one to the fullest extent of its power. But for 5K less money I am extremely happy with the V2. Its the best real world bike for the $ in my opinion. Its so much better than the old Vee its amazing, and it was no slouch.

#23 ·
I started with my first Vee 1000 in 06, and have owned 5 stroms total. In between I would keep falling off the adventure wagon, and go back to either sport bikes (CBR 1000, RC 51's) or Sport Touring (Conny 14, FJR 1300), but I just love the way this Vee2 rides. It handles like a dream, and suspension is so spot on for me. The group I ride with are all very experienced riders and track day junkies, riding Anything from Ducati monster 1200, to BMW r1200gs, and not one of them will be in front of me on any curvy roads, unless I want them to be. But the torque our Beaks (bikes) make, roll ons are so awesome, and can stay with most machines out there. If they downshift and get the rpm's spinning they will pull away, but still not by a ton. I love this thing.:grin2:

#24 ·
That is the problem with most of the really high HP machines - the power, naturally enough, is concentrated up at the top of the RPM scale, where it is difficult to use, especially at low speeds.

For example, my Fazer 8, while not especially high HP, really starts to get going from about 6,000 rpm up. Problem is, 6,000 rpm in first gear is already over 60 km/h. In second gear it's over 80 km/h. That means to be in the real meat of the powerband coming out of slow corners I have to be all the way down to first gear.

My Vee, OTOH, weighed somewhat more and had about 10 HP less. But, it had gobs of torque available from 4k up and there was barely any point in taking it much past 8k rpm. Definitely a more usable and relaxing powerband for street use, and only a little slower.

I try to keep that in mind when I think I'd like an unmolested GSXR1000 or S1000RR motor in a naked/ADV/whatever bike. 200 crank HP is great, but of limited usefulness on the street when it's located up at 13,500 rpm (and whatever first gear speed that corresponds to - I'll guess north of 100 km/h). The torque peak is also way up high - around 11k rpm. Though - what a torque peak - nearly 110 ft-lbs from a 1000cc engine is impressive.

#26 ·
After work this past Saturday I had to head downtown Toronto to meet my kids for dinner.

I became a total hooligan.. the bike is just so wonderful for ripping through traffic! Narrow, light, instant response, great acceleration, incredible brakes and the view that gives you great situational awareness.

I know Stroms are incredibly versatile machines but I never thought of them as Urban Assault vehicles until that ride. :)

..Tom

#28 ·
Yes, yes, yes!!! I also discovered how good the Vee2 is in traffic. You just have to look at the gap and think about it - then suddenly you're through. Absolutely awesome at carving up the tin-tops!

Reactions: V-Tom
#29 ·
One of my favorite lines is "the bike feels much lighter once you get moving, you hardly notice the weight". I then try to think of a bike that get heavier once moving, "it feels light when pushing it around in the driveway but once you start riding, it's like turning a tank".
The problem with the V2 is it's so damn flickable, it's like a Honda 90 with an afterburner. It invites hooliganism!! It's that "no one can beat me across town" feeling, I see where I want to be and just go there. Think of the problem I have here in CA., passing 5-0's stopped in traffic while I split up to the traffic light, buh bye. Then there's the well you see officer, I knew the light was amber, but if I stopped short, I feel I would have been killed, or worse.
Geez, I just gotta slow down...or maybe get back on my meds!!

#31 ·
The problem with the V2 is it's so damn flickable, it's like a Honda 90 with an afterburner. It invites hooliganism!!
...!
Ironically my first bike was a (used) 1969 Honda 90 model C200. This was the one with pushrods and a cast iron head.

..Tom

#30 ·
One of the reasons I bought the V2 was for commuting. My S10 is a wonderful bike but the extra 100lbs really makes a difference on the roads in traffic. Here in NY, as most densely populated cities, you are forced to anticipate stupidity and react decisively. The V2 allows that without hesitation. Also, great brakes are a necessity when some one stops for no apparent reason 2 cars in front of you. The height of the Strom as well as the other performance aspects makes this bike a great Urban assault machine. Then, during longer touring days, it puts on it's more well mannered side and cruises along at a very respectable pace. I really loved my Wee when motoring between 6000-9000 RPM. Felt like I was ripping it up. This bike is more of a well mannered "adult" sport bike . >:):grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.