StromTrooper banner

Hepco & Becker skid plate (Sump guard) and Givi Engine Guards

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Rave-Man 
#1 ·
Hi Troopers,

Was wondering if anyone had used the Hepco & Becker sump guard/skid plate. Wanting to get an opinion as to whether it could be fitted with givi engine guards. The installation manual seems to indicate that if you were installing this plate with the H&B guards that you install the included spacer, then the H&B engine guards over the top. What I can't work out is whether it would be possible to install it with Givi guards, I'm guessing they use a different width spacer. Was thinking it might be possible to bolt the H&B skid plate's supports over the top of the Givi guard mounts, I figure the skid plate is going to be more compliant to bending into shape than the engine guards. Also if anyone has one of these could they send me a photo, I haven't been able to find a single photo that shows the hole support arm part.

Cheers,
Michael.

#3 ·
Why do you want to mix and match? The H&B engine bars look way better than the Givi or OEM [just my opinion,of course], and there's no compatibility issue with the sump guard.

#4 ·
Ah, because I Already have the Givi engine guards, I actually like the way they look and I think they provide the good coverage without extending up too far. And the Givi skid plate (oil cotter protector) looks about as tough as a coke can :)

Ravetech is certainly a good for me though.

Curiously I was just thinking about how I managed to put a rock through the Suzuki skid plate. I was riding down a slippery sandy slope with loose rocks on the surface, the ABS was going nuts so I had almost no brakes so I was holding the brakes pretty hard. My line was looking pretty bad so I pointed the bike towards a big dinner plate sized rock which of course convinced the ABS that I had traction and the front wheel grabbed hard which dislodged the big rock and levered it upwards into the skid plate. Did it's job, I believe I would have had a crushed exhaust without it.

#6 ·
Hi disassembeld,

Would be very happy to supply you with a Ravetech skid plate and it is certainly tough enough to deal with your next ABS moment. Our plate does not interfere or need crash bars for mounting as it has it's own front support tubes. I also use Givi crash bars on my Vee2 as you can see in the photos. Total cost shipped to Australia is $232.74 USD. Ravetech Motorcycle Accessories

uploading pictures

upload pics

#8 ·
Can this skid guard mount to a Vee2 Adventure with a SW-Motech center stand? Is there a discount for Stromtroopers?

Tom

#11 ·
Hi Tom, No problem with mounting this plate with center stands.

As with all our products we do our best to provide high end quality at extremely competitive prices and if you were to compare our products with another of similar specification you will see that even with shipping we save you money.
Regarding discount I am happy to discuss terms on multiple purchases and you would also save on shipping as this is calculated by weight.

#9 ·
Wow. That is nice. Oil drain hole too. It will be my next choice if I ever need to replace. Trouble for me is; 1. I'm a cheap bastard and 2. I grabbed one of the first 2014 V2s off the line, felt the need to get a rock guard on there and availability only allowed the Suzuki plate. Paid too much and was a little disappointed when the advertised "heavy duty" turned out to be only 1/16th thick. I like the clean look but don't expect it will last forever.

#12 ·
Hi mate,

I'm also in Oz and am interested in your plate.

Where do the front mounts bolt up to? Is there any chance of damaging the mounts at the bike end if you give the plate a solid whack?

Will this work with any of the common bars and centrestands? I haven't decided as yet whether I'll be getting Hepco & Becker, SW Motech or Givi bars/stands for my new DL1000.

Instead of using your supplied front mounts, would it be possible for me to fabricate a plate that mounts the front of the plate to the crossbar on the crash bars? Would it be possible to use both your mounts and the plate up to the crash bars? I like your front mounting system, but would prefer a plate that comes up a bit higher at the front.

#13 ·
Hi Dave.A,

The front mounts bolt up to the frame on the front engine mount location which will be shared by the crash bars. This is a very sturdy part of the frame and and shared with the rear frame mounting will handle the plate being bashed severely.
No real need to modify the front mount as it does not interfere with crash bar mounting and as the down tubes are straight it is probably stronger. The protection offered would make it very difficult for anything to strike above the front of the plate but if you wish to cover this section may I suggest a fabricated grill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.