StromTrooper banner

New ECU but no wheelies

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  fig 
#1 ·
Ok, so I just had my ECU replaced by my dealer and took her out for a spin.
No dramatic change.
Low RPM seemed much better behaved (no stalls) but still had the occasional fart (minor backfire).
Bike definitely idles at higher RPM - but the disappointment is the fact that the bike cannot do (or maybe just me) power wheelies.
With traction off the bike still does not want to lift that front nose.
Is it just me - or does the bike just not have enough power to lift the front wheel in 1st gear (without clutching)?
I know its a stupid issue - but pisses me off non the less.

#5 ·
ECU was replaced under warrantee by the dealer I purchased bike from.

Bike seems smoother at lower RPMs at higher gears but no perceptible speed or acceleration change.

Clutch seems to be getting a bit louder (clunkier) - (but it is what it is - so I'm not going to worry about it).

Also, just did my 1st service - so hoping everything starts to smooth out.

Bike is a pleasure riding at higher speeds - 80 - 100 MPH.

Seems real stable and motor definitely likes to rev.

Love the fact that it's so much lighter than my Valkyrie - so it's the one I usually grab on the way out.

Definitely happy with the purchase ;)

#6 ·
I've got a 2016 dl1000 adventure with about 2000 miles on it. I bought it new and broke it in religiously (what a pain!). It is a wheelie monster. On tc1 it " porpoises". Popping several small wheelies in rapid succession. With the traction control off it pulls the front wheel up in 1st gear with no clutch at about 3000 rpms. I somehow managed to pop one with tc1 banging 2nd gear with the wife on the back. It was huge! Both me and the wife were so surprised she forgot to smack me in the head for popping a wheelie with her on the bike. So, IMO, yes you should be torquing 1st gear wheelies without using the clutch.

#9 ·
#8 ·
I have a old wheelie bar in my barn from one of my old drag bikes if you get it bad and need one?.The idea was not to do wheelies back then :wink2:. Cops are usually do not think they are funny like we do. Went to traffic school twice so not like I don't know how to ride officer.:grin2:

#12 ·
You guys who say the wheel comes up easily...are you pulling up on the bars or leaning back? I've never really tried to wheelie, but I do get on it pretty hard occasionally and have never had an inkling of the wheel leaving the pavement or the TC light going nuts. I've always felt it was pretty anemic for a 1L bike, but not sure what could cause a difference in power between bikes.

#14 ·
Mine's an 06 1000, with some modifications. Even lowered, it does roll-on wheelies in first. No second gear wheelies. I don't mess around with a passenger on the back. I did an accidental wheelie trying to avoid a squealing car behind me, thinking they couldn't stop, and even Carolee was happy I took off. I never saw the problem, just reacted. At stock height and with a heavier rider, it would likely do second gear wheelies. No suggestions on how to fix the newer ones. You might try advancing the ignition a few degrees.

#17 ·
With the TC on the front will slam back down to the ground when the TC cuts in, it will see the front wheel is traveling at a different speed to the rear wheel and it cuts the power.

My 2014 with the original ECU will do power wheelies in first but getting the front high enough for long distance wheelies is much easier with the clutch.

Due to the clutch action on my V2 clutch up wheelies don't feel comfortable, it feels like clutch abuse where as on my Wee clutch ups felt fine.

My V2 will also wheel stand when flat changing from first to second with enough RPM's. (think racing mates)

When I get my grandson out on my WR with me he will ask if we can go upside down, that means he wants to do wheelies, got'a love the way kids see life.

#18 ·
Got close to 8k on my 2014. Have never been a wheelie guy. Power wheelies can get you into to trouble because you have the throttle full open. Clutching them up is safer because you hold the rpm for a given gear, pull the clutch in quickly and let it snap open all the while holding a steady throttle setting. Try it in 2nd cruising at 4000 rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.