Getting brake drag after tire install - mid 5,000km trip - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Grimmer
  • 1 Post By Grimmer
  • 1 Post By Grimmer
  • 2 Post By symbiotix
  • 1 Post By Grimmer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Getting brake drag after tire install - mid 5,000km trip

Hey guys I'm looking for advice.

I had new tires installed on Friday (in the pouring rain) and did not immediately noticed a slight squealing from the front end. Turns out I have a bit of brake drag on the left side of the bike which is determined by the sound and the fact the rotor is hot to the touch every time I stop.

I was guessing that this might have been due to over torqued axle nut so I backed it off a bit but I am still getting the same noise. I visually inspected the caliper and it appear assembled correctly. Any other suggestions?

I am already 150km from the shop that did the work and they aren't open today anyways. Help is appreciated!

ps. the sound comes on over 70km/h and goes away as I slow below 50km/h

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Some additional diagnostic advice...

I recently had the early onset of a bad wheel bearing in my wife's car that sounded exactly like a dragging brakes, but the sound did not change when the brakes were lightly applied... Brake drag should immediately sound different when the brakes are pressed into the rotors.

One thing I would check on the DL1000 is the positioning of the spacers. As I recall there should be one on the nut side but not on the other. That could shift the position of the rotors to one side and cause them to drag...
symbiotix likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Here are some pics (if you can decode which is which). Let me know if you want more... My front wheel is currently off and the forks are I the shop. I took these to help me remember how to reassemble. I have the front tire and the service manual.

Sorry, the nut side isn't as good of a picture as I expected (I should have checked them before continuing, but I was in a bit of a rush to ship them out...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170615_200202.jpg (13.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20170615_200217.jpg (18.3 KB, 16 views)
symbiotix likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If that all checks out, then I would repeat the tire install procedure:

Torque the axle nut (with loose pinch bolts). Apply front brake and bounce forks vigorously several times to settle. Then torque pinch bolts.

I'm paraphrasing from memory for a quick reply... Someone can correct me, or when I get some time I can look it up in the book...

I assume that only the tire was replaced and that the shop didn't mess with the lower tri-clamp brackets / forks. Loosen the lower clamps and bounce to seat and align the forks if they are a little out...

My son dropped the dirt bike recently... No damage, but the handle bars where slightly off afterward. Loosened the lower clamps, bounced, retightened and everything was good to go again. In fact one of the suspension expert's you tube videos recommended said procedure after any and every bike drop, no matter the severity.
symbiotix likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
Here are some pics (if you can decode which is which). Let me know if you want more... My front wheel is currently off and the forks are I the shop. I took these to help me remember how to reassemble. I have the front tire and the service manual.

Sorry, the nut side isn't as good of a picture as I expected (I should have checked them before continuing, but I was in a bit of a rush to ship them out...)
Thanks for the reply, but I think I got it sorted with the help of youtube. I basically just loosened everything, spread the caliper as wide as it would go, then stood on the brakes and compressed the front shocks approx 10 times (apparently this realigns everything) . I then tightened everything back up as best I could without a torque wrench and the sound seems to be gone. Rotor temp is the same as the other side too.

Thank eff I didn't have to remove the wheel in the middle of nowhere.
pvwheeler and moglink like this.

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
No problem... YouTube did the same for me last time we were out in the dirt as mentioned above.

Video this and that, loosen here tighten there... BAM! back in business...
symbiotix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode