Offroadworthiness - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Offroadworthiness

Most of the magazine and online adventure bike reviews or comparisons that include the V2 point out that, compared to many of the other bikes, ground clearance and suspension travel on the V2 is less. Love my (faster) white '14 bike, but have only used it on road until now. I do have a reasonable amount of off-road experience.

Who regularly takes their V2 off-road? Given appropriate tyres and bashplate and crash bars, in the real world how much of a disadvantage is the V2 at compared to the bikes with more ground clearance and suspension travel?

Not talking about gnarly single track here, but rather forest trails and unpaved roads of low to medium difficulty. Am I overthinking this? Will my suitably prepped V2 take it in its stride, or do I need to think the unthinkable and start saving for an Africa Twin or similar?

Last edited by Brewers Whoop; 05-19-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

This guy is obviously no amateur but this short video (on street tires) definitely shows its capability in the right hands.

https://youtu.be/aW_ZyPYN5R8
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had very little off-road experience when i entered the v-strom world a few years ago. With my first strom (650), I started venturing onto dirt/gravel roads that were in fine condition. These were normal roads that you could take any passenger car down. Then I upgraded to the vee2, and I hooked up with another Strommer who basically grew up on dirt bikes. We regularly take our Stroms where they have no business being. The only limiting factor is ground clearance. We've had to unsaddle a few times to lift the bikes over some obstacles - only a few though. Of, course it is necessary to fit with crash bars, barkbusters and a proper skid plate. As I keep saying, my Strom has been dropped more times than soap in the shower. No damage other than scratches on the crash bars and handlebar ends. Well, I did mangle my brake shifter once when it hit a boulder going down some rocky single track.
But to your question of "forest trails and unpaved roads of low to medium difficulty", absolutely no problem for the bike. I've been toying with the idea of trading in for an Africa Twin - but it would be only with the intention of spending more time in the more difficult terrain i.e. rocky jeep trails, single track, mud, sand. For any road that you could reasonably take a Camry down, I would say Vee2 over AT. Jeep trails and worse, advantage goes to the Honda.

Edit: forgot to add, sometimes it's necessary to turn off TC, like when climbing in loose terrain, other times TC can be beneficial. Also, sometimes we turn off ABS.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000

Last edited by mcrag; 05-19-2017 at 03:32 PM.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was on dirt often last year and the bike did fine. Got hung up on a log once, fell over on some huge boulders once, slammed down on my HT plate a dozen times on large rocks with no issues.

I have added a stabilizer now so anxious to try it out in dirt again, but do not want to wreck the bike just before my big trip, so that will have to wait until my return, but I will be doing a few thousand km's on dirt/gravel/mud on my way to Inuvik, so that should test out this stabilizer for me.

No issues with V2 offroad for me except that clearance thing.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's a great dirt road bike, not a great single track bike. I have done nasty stuff on a DL, I don't recommend it, but it's possible.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to swingset
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
It's a great dirt road bike, not a great single track bike. I have done nasty stuff on a DL, I don't recommend it, but it's possible.
+1 to this, I've offroaded every Strom i've owned (two 1000's and my current 650). The achilles heel is the ground clearance, nothing you can do about that...it really inhibits you in ruts or over ledges/rocks. But, if not for that the Strom is about as capable as the rest of the bikes in its class.

Mild trails and fire roads are nothing for the Strom....gobbles that up with ease.
Big B likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Keeper of the Wee

Looking forward to finally getting mine off road.

2015 V-Strom 650
2015 Victory Cross Country
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Anyone used the 1" lift for the rear??? I think it was HT that has them??? Wondering if the handling changes?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 02:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

It does. The point I'd make is it's a bike so clearance isn't quite the issue it is with something with 4 wheels. I've ridden through tracks where the 4WD's were towing one another out. It'll go most places, it's just a bit slower than it would be on a bike with more ground clearance. It's also faster in some places than the more highly rated bikes, it's a hell of a lot more stable on dirt roads where clearance isn't an issue than the KTM's for example.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Music to my ears guys: thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode