Vibration level - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-14-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Vibration level

Went on a 600 mile trip this weekend to break in my new 2014. It was a carry over model and the dealer gave me a large rebate to purchase. I like it so far and have enjoyed it.
Anyway, it now has a little over 1000 mikes on it now, and on the way home I opened her up on the interstate a little. I have been taking it easy on the bike until now, and haven't really got on it too hard. At 4200 rpm, it does about 74 mph. I ran it up to 5500 and it vibrates, not Harley level, but vibrates. At 6000 it pretty strong.
Anyone have any ideas or is this, or just the nature of this bike?
I checked all the obvious things that would possibly cause vibration, motor mounts, exhausts etc... but didn't find the culprit. I already checked the various bolts during the 500 mile oil change and all were in spec.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Mine just gets smoother. Do you have Givi crash bars? Those vibrate. Some fixes have been posted. If not, some other accessory or loose bolt is causing the vibration.
MGDIL likes this.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have Givi bars and my bike get smoother as the RPM's go up.

Around 5000 is my happy spot.

I run a 16 front sprocket so I get a couple hundred more RPM than standard but I often find I have set my cruise control when in 5th gear not sixth because things are so smooth.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 26 Old 05-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am thinking one of your tires is not balanced, either that or you are experiencing head buffeting which can make it seem like the bike is vibrating, but really it is just your head.

Remove the windshield and see if the problem goes away, or take it to dealer and let them troubleshoot it.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Mine just gets smoother and I have the Givi bars.

The usual suspect is the need to sinc the throttle bodies. There is a ton of information here and on VSRI about when it is needed and how to go about doing it.

Here is a You-tube video on the subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPinq0boQsI
post #6 of 26 Old 05-15-2017, 07:14 AM
$tromtrooper

Throttle bodies out of sync on a new bike? I'm thinking engine guards or re- torquing those engine mounting bolts.
Mulewright likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #7 of 26 Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Moderator++

Garage
A TBS was a common need on the Vee. It shouldn't be on the Vee2 though. A Vee2 TBS is an idle air screw adjustment and won't affect vibration while riding anyway.
realshelby likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #8 of 26 Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

There is a harmonic vibration in these engines in the 5600-5800 rpm range. Worked on that when developing clutch baskets and found it is just an crank/piston vibration. Might seem bad considering how smooth these bikes can be at other rpms. If smooth under 5000, and ok over 6000 rpm I would not be too concerned. Get some miles on it and grow used to the bike. You are not going to spend a lot of time over 5000 rpm on these anyway.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
post #9 of 26 Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
I am thinking one of your tires is not balanced, either that or you are experiencing head buffeting which can make it seem like the bike is vibrating, but really it is just your head.

Remove the windshield and see if the problem goes away, or take it to dealer and let them troubleshoot it.
I would agree with the possible tire balance. My 2014 Vee is smooth as hell.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I wonder if it could be how the dealer assembled the front tire on out of the crate???

(16 DL650A) Let's ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode