StromTrooper banner

Farkling!

9K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  guiri 
#1 ·
OK . . . I am taking delivery of a brand new 2014 Vstrom 1000 (non-Adv) in the next hour or so. Right now, its only farkle is a top case. So, the question is, if you had a budget of $1500 to spend on farkles, where would it go? Since it will make a difference in your answers, I will not be taking it off-road much, if at all.

My thoughts were handguards (because I like having them) and I am considering side cases, engine guards, center stand, risers, extra brake lights, seat, things like that that make it safer and more comfortable.

What would your preference list look like?

Thanks.

#27 ·
Windscreen upgrade and don't forget the helmet hook.
Out of curiosity, are you talking about this Helmet Hook? https://thehelmethook.com/products/the-helmet-hook

If so, I just wanted to let those who are interested know that there is a sales thread where you get them for $13.95 shipped.
Post in the thread that you want one and pm me...

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-buys-stromtrooper-inventors-product-showcase/89857-helmet-hook-keeps-your-helmet-falling.html

#4 ·
If you plan to ride corners with any kind of speed, hands down the TechSpec Snake Skin tank pads. I fought it at first to preserve the "look" and did windscreen, exhaust, kickstand foot, etc (ADV so had bars, bags, etc). The tank marked easily where my knees are and was always slick feeling. Certain pants would slide around when leaning if I wasn't constantly focused on clenching the tank. The tank pads completely transformed the feel on the bike in turns and harder braking/accelerating. I am not referring to the thin protective film kinds. These are thicker than expected along the lines of the Stompgrip. Would definitely be my first purchase if I bought the bike again

#11 ·
Ditto Plus: The tank pads are always big on my list. They also allow you to have a lighter touch on the handlebar. With your legs doing more work, you get a smoother control of the throttle going in / through and out of the corners. As Brisky points out, hard braking and more importantly surprise braking are aided, big time. There is just a lot less to do.

Adding that contact point to your knees from just your butt and ankles forms a triangle. Even on plain old calm riding people who normally get sore butts - won't. Your shoulder blades, waist and back get relief, too. Just imagine laying on your stomach and trying to push a couch across the floor with your arms as opposed to being on your back and pushing with your legs.

#5 ·
Might of been better to have the Dealer install your farkles. I believe that way they are covered by your insurance.

#9 ·
Center stand
Engine guards
Givi Air Flow
Adcox or RDL seat
Rox risers

Rostra Electronic cruise control
Oxford heated grips
Grip Puppys
Eastern Beaver PC8 & both EB accessory adapters
Cheap LED running lights off amazon or fleabay(for the triangle efffect)

Here is the dilema, Summer is upon us. I would do the first 5 now, then ride the snot out of it until Winter. Then you have a few months to add the rest of your goodies.

#10 ·
so many frakles are necessary (and all depends what will you do with the bike)

windscreen,bashplate,engine gaurds,ABS kill switch(if you are going off road) etc.... just look at my signature see a few

#12 ·
Ever since I watched Men in Black, I've had an ACME Alien Detector on my bike. Much to my surprise some of the weirdos in big cities aren't really people at all. Who'd of thunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
With all of 78 miles now on the bike, I think risers will be the next order of business. Even at 6 foot tall and arms to match, it is a reach and I can't imagine it would be too comfortable after a fairly short ride.

Recommendations? The Rox risers look nice and move both up and back, which will be much more to my liking.

FYI, I am coming off a BMW G650 XCountry. Bone stock it is very comfortable seating position.

#14 ·
"I believe that way they are covered by your insurance."

When I got run off the road, the 'other guys' insurance paid for my farkles, all of them. Self installed.
It doesn't hurt to save receipts but when the adjusted saw the bike, at my house 750 miles from where the incident occurred, he just shrugged and made a list.
Wachu need? GPS, Saddle bags, top box, center stand, maybe after market windshield, bash plate, engine guards, running lights even if you never ride at night.
Big tall nasty boots and some scuffed up riding gear with lots of padding.
It's hard to be an ADV poser on a stock bike wearing sneakers.

#15 ·
Here is some stuff to peruse.

DL1000 2014 and newer - AdventureTech, LLC.

I consider these the essentials for most people.

Givi AF3105 Windscreen (the best yet for the Vee2)
Mirror extenders
Footpeg and control lowering kit
Over the screen GPS/smart phone mount or shelf with X-grip phone holder

The bolt on side stand foot is nice to have as well.

There are a couple of good choices in different price ranges for seats. The seat concepts kit is a good way to go if money is tight. It is a kit you apply yourself to the stock seat pan. Much better than stock, but the Shad Comfort seat is the best I have personally used and well worth the money of you plan on doing long trips.

#16 · (Edited)
Stick to the necessities first and see how the money holds out. Skid plate or oil filter fender of some kind, Givi Airflow windshield, crash bars, some kind of storage, and center stand are the main necessities.

I find the stock seat fine and I hated the 650 seat and upgraded to a Terry Adcox. Heated grips or cruise are a luxury you may not need. You can always add them later. I like the handguards to block the wind and rocks and the risers for my height. The cheaper OEMs are fine if no off-road. I have a Givi V47 top case with additional LED tail/brake lights in it.

You can get the Givi stuff for about 60% of cost direct from Italy. Beware of forum PM sales jobs. I hate to see people waste a bunch of money as they just get in unnecessarily.

#17 · (Edited)
Center stand
Mirror extenders + blind spot mirrors
Eastern Beaver headlight relay
Madstad
Cal-Sci windscreen
Rox risers (may need a +2" brake line)
Foam grip puppies (stock grips are too darn skinny)
Can of chain lube
Gas money

#20 ·
Really depends on your goal with the bike ...touring versus some off pavement.
Side cases could use your entire budget ( Jesse's for instance )
Let us know use and you'll get a bit more focus.

These are sort of universal.

Madstad bracket is #1 for me.
RAM mounts.
X-mount for phone
Cup holder for hydration
USB out
or XP3 battery in the tank bag gives you long gps life and super useful bit of kit
Throttle lock

Maybe Beadrider or Airhawk if you can't take the seat for distance ( common ). After that there are ton of seat options.

Tank bag...I use magnetic but there ones with gas cap rings as well.

https://www.revzilla.com/product/rapid-transit-recon-19-magnetic-tank-bag
Lots of useful pockets and not bulky

Thumb Dogs for your touch screens ( just got mine ...nicely done )

Earplugs...:D Howard Leight Max...for a quiet ride.

#21 ·
Really depends on your goal with the bike ...touring versus some off pavement.
Side cases could use your entire budget ( Jesse's for instance )
Let us know use and you'll get a bit more focus.

These are sort of universal.

Madstad bracket is #1 for me.
RAM mounts.
X-mount for phone
Cup holder for hydration
USB out
or XP3 battery in the tank bag gives you long gps life and super useful bit of kit
Throttle lock

Maybe Beadrider or Airhawk if you can't take the seat for distance ( common ). After that there are ton of seat options.

Tank bag...I use magnetic but there ones with gas cap rings as well.

Lots of useful pockets and not bulky

Thumb Dogs for your touch screens ( just got mine ...nicely done )

Earplugs...:D Howard Leight Max...for a quiet ride.
Goal for the bike:

It is 85% of my transportation 10 months of the year. I commute and its a 30 mile round trip. DC metro area.

I frequent the mountains of the Eastern Panhandle (WV) pretty frequently (2 weekends a month). The other weekends are spent home or going east to the beach. This summer, I have an 1100 mile trip planned to the mountains of western North Carolina then to the Outerbanks and then back to DC. I do not anticipate doing any significant off-road trips . . . ever! Just not really my thing, though hard-packed dirt and gravel roads to campsites are certainly on the horizon.

Have a 52 liter Trekker top case, which is great to hold office crap on my commute.

Was looking for a tank bag today to use for glasses, phone, things like that on short day trips, but the magnetic ones gave me pause since there isn't steel all over to grab onto. So I guess it will be gas cap lock.

I was looking at the 37 liter trekker side cases and the Givi engine guard as well. From Motostorm the stuff is pretty reasonable!

Full farkling in the next 60 days I would like to keep around 1200. There are nice things and necessities. The top case was, for me, a necessity. The engine guards seem pretty critical too (skid plate/oil filter protector too).

Ear plugs are unnecessary with hearing aids and a brand new Shoei Neotec!

Any suggestions for items, brands or prioritizing are quite welcome.

If it makes a difference, I am coming from an '07 BMW G650XCountry. Which is a lot of fun, a pain to keep maintained, and is light as a feather. But, it is only 380 lbs soaking wet and a thumper. In DC traffic you feel VERY vulnerable on it!

#22 ·
Kaoko throttle lock, Adventuretech light bar and LED driving lights (one spot and one flood), Adventuretech mirror extenders, RAM ball phone mount, Givi Aeroflow screen, Givi Tank Lock system with tank bag, Givi 37l Trekker Outback panniers and rack. Considering top case, but I find it harder to get on and off the bike with one mounted. Still thinking. Got all the Givi stuff from Italy.

#23 · (Edited)
Lots here for the Ring lock ...I like RevZilla as no question returns and very fast service

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=ring+lock+tank+bag&commit=Search

I sort of like this concept

weather proof and hi-viz but pretty small
this Givi 20 liter has a hi-viz cover

Givi's Adventure-themed XS308 Tanklock nylon tank bag features a maximum capacity of 20 liters with an expandable main compartment. Armed with 3 accessory pouches and big, visible water-resistant zippers, the Xstream tank bag will keep your moto essentials within easy reach and easy to find.

Included is a high-viz rain cover and waterproof internal pouch for housing this cover during dry weather. A removable pocket for your cell phone also comes with the XS308. By the way, if you combine the XS308 with Power Hub accessories you can charge your phone as you ride. Grab a Power Hub Kit and a 12V Handlebar Outlet and you're now electrified.

Water resistant zippers
Reflective trim
Rain cover included
Rain cover storage compartment
Mildew resistant
Removable tablet-holder
Cable port
Handle and shoulder strap included
Removable side and front pocket band doubles as waist pack
1200D Guzi Nylon construction
13.7in L x 11in W x 7.8in-9in H | 348mm L x 279mm W x 198-229mm H
20 Liter capacity
and ring lock. Guess if I was getting a new one I'd look at this.

Do put the Madstat high on your list but apparently not suitable on the late model stock screens :(

V-Strom DL650 (2012-2016)

Consider your handguards before jumping on a Kaoka throttle lock. Some gotcha's there.

I prefer this throttle lock

Fiddly to set up but works very well.

#25 ·
Lots here for the Ring lock ...I like RevZilla as no question returns and very fast service

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=ring+lock+tank+bag&commit=Search

I sort of like this concept

weather proof and hi-viz but pretty small
this Givi 20 liter has a hi-viz cover

and ring lock. Guess if I was getting a new one I'd look at this..
I put that tank bag on my wish list. I've been looking on and off, and that one looks like it checks the right boxes for me. Now, for the Black Friday sale. :crying2:

#24 ·
You need all of the "stuff", but from what you've said, you'll be miserable without up and back risers of some sort. I can't recommend a brand, I am still looking for a cheaper one that is high enough quality and won't create cable length issues. I may just suck it up and buy Rox or Motech, because I would expect them to not disappoint.

For a throttle lock the adjustable, aluminum Go-Cruise Universal for ~$30 is enough to relax your grip and take your arm off of the bar for a few minutes at a time, which is all I need. I use it like a cruise on my commute every day.

It is cheap enough to start with so that if you really need something better later you aren't out much. I bought mine as an interim solution, but may never "upgrade" until I can get a viable electric cruise control at I price I can stomach.

Motorcycle throttle lock Universal

#26 · (Edited)
Once I got used to that 20L Givi tank bag size I found out I love it and cant do without it on all of the time. ;-)

The shiny top can have some glare at high noon but easy enough to fix. I have to admit I order my Givi stuff direct from Italy at quite a discount and I have a lot of it.

#28 ·
#29 ·
Got a used 2014 three weeks ago, came with a Suzuki tank bag and gase cap mount, first thing I added was a Givi top case, next was some Rizoma 1 1/8" bars, bar riser/adapter, mirror extenders, and Rizoma mirrors, all of those were take offs from other bikes. Next up was a Leo Vince muffler, a little loud w/o the db killer, a little quite with, playing with the db killer to get to my liking, have to admit one of the reasons for buying was the sound of the old TL & SV models. Just installed ASV levers, found I couldn't get the clutch lever adjusted to my liking. Hepco Becker C-Bow mounts and bags arrived yesterday and have a Givi inner fender in transit. Dirt road is the most off-road it will see, bought it for riding longer distances, have a KLR650 & CRF250L for off road and a ZRX for more spirited rides. May add lower engine protection, a bit concerned with the oil filter out in the open. Would like to find a smaller windshield, Gustaffason made a small one for my Versys 650. Stainless brake lines will be next and maybe a shock after that.

#31 ·
Consider your personal gear too. Although not for me, if you commute regularly regardless of the weather...a one piece aerostitch roadcrafter suit or equivalent would pretty much blow the budget together with a good set of waterproof boots and gloves...but would be money well spent...waterproof and just step out quickly from the gear in your work clothes. Then bit by bit attack the regular farkling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.