Those with SW Motech crash bars - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Those with SW Motech crash bars

Need some engine guards for my 2014 Vee2. I'm thinking of getting both the SW Motech bars and skid plate together.

So on the crash bars - do you like them? Any Issues? Are they an even distance on both sides?

I saw a comment on one of the sites that indicated one side (left, I believe) stuck out further than the other, and that didn't sound good to me, if it were in fact the case. It was probably just a one-off issue but before I order them I'd like to get some input.

Thanks!

R1200RT (sold), Super Tenere (sold), Kawi ER6N (SE Asia), 2014 V-Strom 1000 (Stateside)

Last edited by jrb_nw; 04-10-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Clarify what I want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Look at the Givi crash guards too.
jrb_nw likes this.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
Look at the Givi crash guards too.
I have, thanks. I just prefer the SW Motech skid plate design, and that the bars are powdercoated, as opposed to painted on the Givi. And the way they fit together.

R1200RT (sold), Super Tenere (sold), Kawi ER6N (SE Asia), 2014 V-Strom 1000 (Stateside)

post #4 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

They're the ones that come stock on the "adventure" model.
I love 'em. Dropped my bike 4 times - all on pavement - just scratched the bars no other effects. No damage to bike.
Friend went over a hill on a rocky road and lost it on the downhill side going a pretty good clip.
Bent the left bar in about 1" which we struggled to pull it out with a come-along. Rocks were able to crack the plastic above the bars. No damage to anything behind the bars. Frame sliders wouldn't have helped on the rocky road.
I call that pretty good protection.
lsdpoet, EGGSS and jrb_nw like this.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
post #5 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

The givi's provide decent protection, but they do scratch up quite a bit. I've dropped mine more times than soap in the shower and never any damage to the bike.
jrb_nw likes this.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #6 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
dont get the sw-motech ones they are too low they dont protect the plastic thats on the tank.
i switched to touratech after i crashed the bike (got hit by a car).

you can see that touratech is the only one that covers the little plastic nub thats in the tank
in order there is touratech,givi,sw-motech

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian
post #7 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That's great input, but surely the plastic on the tank isn't that expensive to replace, is it? I figure the radiator is the most mission critical component and to me the SW Motech covers well in that area. On the other hand, as much as I love the looks of the Touratech, it leaves a pretty large hole in the middle, if the bike fell on a rock it might still strike the radiator. The Givi seems to cover both.. but it sure doesn't match the lines of the bike in any way.

Thanks for your great input.

Last edited by jrb_nw; 04-10-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #8 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the sw motech bars and skid plate on my 15 vee2. They were easy to put on, match the lines of bike and look well built.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reibs, Vaseface and jrb_nw like this.
post #9 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

My personal preference (for protection & looks) is the Touratech crash bar with the Motech skid plate.

Does anyone know if these fit together?
post #10 of 35 Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyllini View Post
My personal preference (for protection & looks) is the Touratech crash bar with the Motech skid plate.

Does anyone know if these fit together?
I believe you would need to get the version of the SW Motech skid plate that is listed for "no crash bars" and it should have front support arms. The Touratech crash bars then share the mount point on the frame. But that's just conjecture on my part, I haven't tried it. Maybe call them and ask?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode