StromTrooper banner

Forget something?

6K views 47 replies 35 participants last post by  EGGSS 
#1 ·
What have you forgotten to do?
Things like forgetting to put your kickstand up, or tighten some important bolt, or forget to put oil cap on. (I've done the latter).
I'm sure there are some interesting stories.

#2 ·
The day before a weekend ride I was stopping at a store for groceries and forgot to put my foot down when I stopped. I caught it before the bike and I fell over.

On the first day of the weekend ride my fiend @Heavy stopped at a stop sign and also forgot to put his foot down. (I guess I was contagious.) He wasn't able to catch it and broke off the Left footpeg on his old DL1000. (He is sure to deny that is what happened but I saw it.. that's what happened.)

..Tom

#8 ·
I used to ride a goldwing.
After a looong ride one day I pulled into the driveway between the wife's car and my bronco. I did the stop and forget to put the the foot down thing and the wing pinned me between the bike and my bronco. Still had my helmet on and it was forcing my head at a funny angle on the top of the fender.

I'm no weakling, but I could not budge the bike with one leg that was angled oddly so that I could not make full use of it. Soooooooo there I was - unable to get upright, and different body parts starting to hurt from the weight of the bike. After several minutes I figured I would have to beep the horn and get some help, but I gave it one last gasp effort, twisting and flexing everything I had and pushing with the leg all at once.... Whew! I made it and parked the bike in the garage, walked in the house, sat down and my wife asked me why I was breathing hard.... LOL

#12 ·
I did this once on my brother's vintage Moto Guzzi. Took it on a longish day trip with wife on the back. Stopped to eat lunch and gas up, so I turned off the stopcock. A couple of miles down the road: putt...putt...patooey. What the heck? Found my way to a phone booth (this was back before cell phones), rang my brother and promptly lost whatever cred I had as a motorcyclist. Thank goodness for fuel injection, I say.

#16 ·
About half the time I start out on a ride I forget to clip on the Helite jacket airbag tether. I'm getting pretty good at clipping it on while riding, but need a straight section to do it. In more sensible moments, I pull over to clip it. Seems like the other half the times when I remember to clip it in, I forget to unclip when I stop. Good thing it can't be activated by trying to walk away from the bike while still attached. Seems like I'm getting better at remembering, at least I hope so.

#18 ·
On a day trip over to the National Motorcycle Museum in Iowa, I parked the bike, shed my gear and walked into the museum. Spent about 4 hours there ogling the collection. As I walked out, I reached into my pocket for my keys and had a panic moment when they were missing. This was before I started carrying a spare set of keys with me on my trips. But I was within sight of the bike and I saw my keys sitting in the ignition. Thanks to the good people of Anamosa, IA, for their inherent honesty.

#19 ·
I left a bungee loose on the back of the saddle after parking at work one day, came out in the evening and didn't see it, started up and ~1 mile later the thing fell and got snagged in the chain with one end hooked to the passenger grab bar... made a horrible racket that scared the bajeezus out of me. Fortunately I could pull over easy enough, saw what a retarded thing I had done, spent the next half hour pulling shreds out of the chain and front sprocket, reminding myself in terse words I reserve only for other drivers what a f*&#*!! retarded thing I had done. The onboard tool kit and my swiss army knife saved the day, and amazingly/luckily not a bit of damage. What a retarded thing I had done.

#20 ·
I went into a giant Walmart to get some oil and had to wander the store to find it, then headed out the door after paying. The bike was gone, I searched around and thought it was stolen, was pulling my phone out to call police then I noticed the identical front door to the store way down on the other end of the building, sure enough my bike was sitting there, right where I left it. That was a huge relief.

#25 ·
I went to the Harley store on my Goldwing to get some cleaning products. (Harley makes some great T shirts and has a great selection of cleaning products). I got back to my bike and tried to put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't fit. I was thinking maybe some Harley guy fiddled with my jap crap. But I then took a second look at my key and saw the word "Subaru". I reached into my pocket for the correct key.

Reactions: Bugzy
#28 ·
Usually when our group rides together you'll see a bunch of guys giving their ears a wet willy finger. Makes it difficult to forget the ear plugs.

One of my friends forgot his brand new glasses on the rear seat leaving a gas station. The glasses were well smooched when he retieved them from the street.

#29 ·
When I was 16 I went for my very first multi-day solo trip. I found myself riding (somewhat lost) in the middle of nowhere, quickly running out of gas.

I was running on fumes, convinced that I'd end up stranded, when - to my absolute delight - I came across a gas station. As I pulled in I thought "while I'm here I might as well get some lube on my chain; it's been a while since I last did it and I don't want to have to stop again".

So I pull up to the pump, put my bike on the centre-stand, remove my helmet and gloves, get my can of lube out of the tail-bag and proceed to spray the chain. I remember thinking to myself "that is a great job! I didn't get any lube on the tire or swing arm."

Very pleased with myself about the great job I did, I put my helmet back on, gloves on and... away I go!

Luckily there was literally NO gas left in my tank so I only had to push the bike back for a mile or so.

I can't believe that was almost 35 years ago... And it still puts a smile on my face every time I think about it!

#30 ·
A few years back it was the first trackday of the season. I eagerly loaded up my track bike the night before, Gathered my gear and loaded it up. I even remembered my lucky T-shirt. I got to the track and unloaded everything into my pit. Went to the safety meeting and registered. I got geared up and hopped on the bike. Looked down and instantly realized, the key to my bike is sitting in the Kitchen drawer with all the other keys...

#31 ·
Stopped on the roadside at a rest stop for evening break. Refreshed and ready to head off, bike wouldn't start.
Check - in neutral, side stand up, … No luck.
Decided to sleep there the night. Still wouldn't start in the morning. Went to put my helmet on the right handlebar and realised the kill switch was off! Duh!
Never done that again, but very embarrassed.

Doug

Reactions: Vhawg
#32 ·
I stopped for gas last year on a long ride. removed the tank bag and set it on top of the gas pump. Took my debit card out and started the pump. I threw my wallet back in the tank bag and continued filling the tank. I ride with an Interphone F5 headset, and I was listening to Pandora. I guess I was enjoying my music a little too much because I finished filling my tank, put my gloves on and rode away. About a mile down the road my music stopped playing. As I was fumbling with the headset buttons, I decided to check my phone for connectivity............. Well their was the problem, wallet, phone and tank bag still on top of that gas pump. I turned around and slightly exceeded the posted speed limit bag to the gas station. as I pulled in a guy was walking into the store with it to turn it in to the clerk. I thanked him, secured it to my tank, checked the contents and happily rode away. Big lesson learned that day. Ride safe all.

#33 ·
Gas pump stories...My first cross country ride on my new to me beemer. I pulled into a station in Barstow and I didn't deploy the side stand properly and the bike fell over with me underneath.
While I extricated myself the attendant was on the PA system telling me to "Please pull to the forward pump."
Don't forget to learn how your bike works before starting out!

I hate kill switches for the same reason thzt Douggie does,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.