What should I buy, if anything..? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

What should I buy, if anything..?

I posted this on the 650 thread as well...

I'm riding a '14 1000 and quite like it, but have a couple of nagging gripes so am thinking of treating myself for my 60th to a new bike. Two serious contenders are the new V strom 650 and 1000. I do the usual 90% pavement, touring, and 10% dirt exploring and wild camping. I've done some off-road training.

Here are the gripes: the seat is not all-day comfy. I paid a fortune for a Corbin and hate it. Don't want to take a chance on buying another seat. I hate the snatchy throttle off-road and Suzuki hasn't been able to cure it. Don't want to spend the money for a Dynojet and tuning. I've already spent a fortune upgrading the bike for touring and off-road camping. It's a bit top-heavy and a handful off-road.

Likes are the fully adjustable suspension. It's awesome. The power. It's a nice motor. Those are the things I'm afraid I'd miss the most.

I know that I need to ride the new ones to see for sure, but I'm looking for thoughts and opinions.

The new 650 would be lighter by 30lbs. Cheaper to insure by a few hundred dollars a year. The throttle-assist feature might take care of the snatchy throttle off-road. I think the seat is better. It now has a power outlet on the dash, which I use. Owners love them for years. It would be cheaper to buy. However, will I miss the power and suspension of the 1000??

The new 1000 also has the throttle-assist and better seat (so they say) but also cornering abs. It would be just as heavy as my current bike and just as costly to insure, but I'd keep the power and susp. A bunch of my parts would transfer over.

Both have the option of the fancy gold wire wheels, though I'm on the fence about them. I'm told that we're getting a 3-year warranty on the new bikes in Canada. (don't know about the US)

The other bike I'm looking hard at is.... the 1200GS. Yes, it's terribly expensive, but this will probably be my last big bike. It's very complicated and if there were glitches it would drive me crazy, but all the electronics are supposed to make for an awesome bike. Lower CoG. Good warranty. Expensive insurance and accessories. Do I want to be a GS guy?? I've ridden a couple and love the drivetrain. Amazing. But I need more seat time to form an opinion about the suspension.

So there ya go! Feel free to share any thoughts. Thanks!

Every bike is an "adventure" bike because every ride can be an adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't see your point. You're worried about few hundred for insurance but not worried about almost double a price for GS.
I also own '14 1000. I solved snatchy throttle in first couple months of ownership by installing X-TRE. Few months later came upgraded ECU and X-TRE was not necessary anymore. Then I changed front sprocket to 16T (Suzuki one with dampeners). So, I have perfect bike ever since.
Now, the weight of the bike is something different for every owner. I'm 6ft2.5 and I don't feel my bike top heavy. I owned '12 650 and it didn't feel any "lighter" then 1000 to me.
I like the look of GS but I think the price is joke and I don't think I could stand being part of "GS" club.
There are other bikes you could try: Africa Twin, Super Tenere, Multistrada, KTM...
Big B and VSrider like this.

2014 DL1000 Red
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #3 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

1200GS is sweet, but will forever be expensive. You start out with a pricey bike, and when things break (and they will) replacements are similarly expensive, like double what any other bike part costs, similarly with maintenance. But if your OK with that, its a nice bike.

Ducati, not very reliable, same with KTM.

Jap bikes are the most reliable, and the most cost effective, so that leaves you with Tenere, FJ09, AT and V2 (or is it V3 now?).

I would try an AT and Tenere just to see, but would probably end up with a V3 anyways. You could move your parts over, easy switch out, but I wonder if these nagging issues will continue with the new bikes since Suzuki refuses to acknowledge they exist.

post #4 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

This is a tough one ...there is simply no getting around the weight of a full size bike in off road conditions. I am impressed with the stock fueling on 2016 R1200GS, much better than my V2 in my opinion, but it's even a heavier bike (though it carries the weight quite well) ...so while the fueling issue might be solved, it will be just as much if not more of a handful off road for you.
Since your preference is to find a stock solution in form of a new bike, my recommendation would be to test ride every bike that you are interested in before you buy. Take it out for a proper long test ride and judge it yourself, rather than making the purchase based on a review from moto magazine, etc.
blues hurler likes this.

2014 V-Strom 1000
post #5 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
I don't see your point. You're worried about few hundred for insurance but not worried about almost double a price for GS.
I also own '14 1000. I solved snatchy throttle in first couple months of ownership by installing X-TRE. Few months later came upgraded ECU and X-TRE was not necessary anymore. Then I changed front sprocket to 16T (Suzuki one with dampeners). So, I have perfect bike ever since.
Now, the weight of the bike is something different for every owner. I'm 6ft2.5 and I don't feel my bike top heavy. I owned '12 650 and it didn't feel any "lighter" then 1000 to me.
I like the look of GS but I think the price is joke and I don't think I could stand being part of "GS" club.
There are other bikes you could try: Africa Twin, Super Tenere, Multistrada, KTM...
I'm not worried about the insurance, but it would be a nice bonus to save 30% by moving to the 650, but only if I loved the 650. Insurance cost would not be a deciding factor. The price difference between Suzuki and BMW could be a deciding factor though. I'd have to feel like I couldn't live without the GS to pay that kind of money. That may require a few test rides under varying conditions if BMW is willing. Or I suppose I could rent one for a weekend...

Your point about the weight is interesting. That's one of the things I was most wondering about. I haven't ridden a 650 for several years so couldn't remember how much different they feel. If the difference is negligible I may just stick with the 1000 for the extra features. Suzuki is not really upgrading the ECU's over here to my knowledge. Eventually the sync'd the throttle bodies (at my expense) which seemed to help a bit, but didn't solve the problem. They are saying it's normal due to lean fuelling, which they program in on purpose.

I don't see the AT offering any advantage over a VStrom 1000 and the Super Ten is too heavy and I didn't like it, Ducati also expensive to buy and maintain and I found the 1200 too complex, though the new 950 looks interesting, KTM the same $$$

Thanks,

David

post #6 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
1200GS is sweet, but will forever be expensive. You start out with a pricey bike, and when things break (and they will) replacements are similarly expensive, like double what any other bike part costs, similarly with maintenance. But if your OK with that, its a nice bike.

Ducati, not very reliable, same with KTM.

Jap bikes are the most reliable, and the most cost effective... You could move your parts over, easy switch out, but I wonder if these nagging issues will continue with the new bikes since Suzuki refuses to acknowledge they exist.
All good points. BMW costs worry me because I'm the type of guy who expects a premium experience when I pay a premium price. So if I shell out that kind of money, I expect perfection and complete joy and satisfaction from every ride! Maybe I'm just a Suzuki guy...not that there's anything wrong with that. If the new one solves my niggles, then I'll be pretty darned happy.

post #7 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Misko, I did think the BMW carried its weight better when I rode one. Down low. Seemed more manageable, even though it's a bit heavier, and even easier to pick up because it doesn't lay flat thanks to those cylinders sticking out!

post #8 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am a long way from buying my last big bike, but if there is anything I have learned about buying these things it is this..... forget about data, costs, logical and well considered reasoning, and all the other things that would apply to well informed decision making in everyday life. Go for the one that floats your boat and makes you feel like you are alive. Nothing else really matters. Life is too short.
Bugzy, Rolex, blues hurler and 3 others like this.
post #9 of 32 Old 01-30-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellies View Post
I am a long way from buying my last big bike, but if there is anything I have learned about buying these things it is this..... forget about data, costs, logical and well considered reasoning, and all the other things that would apply to well informed decision making in everyday life. Go for the one that floats your boat and makes you feel like you are alive. Nothing else really matters. Life is too short.
Good advice. I may be overthinking this thing.

post #10 of 32 Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

I rode a friend's K7 650 and now own a K2 1000. For me, the difference in power was appreciable and the difference in weight was not. As a commuter, I would like the fuel economy of the 650 but it's just not worth sacrificing the joy of that 1000cc engine.
As for the GS, I have quite a few friends that have them. They all love 'em. I think they have a solid bike with the GS and that is why there is such a huge following, but I also think that each bike has it's own specialty. The KTM is more off road oriented. The Ducati is more sporty. The Africa Twin is also off road oriented but it's a Honda so reliability should not be an issue. The GS is your all arounder. Off road and on road it does a decent job but it's not the best at either. I can't speak much about parts cost on the GS but I can tell you the maintenance, if you don't do it yourself, will cost you. The Strom is your bargain bike with a huge following that you can customize to no end (like the GS), but your initial cost is much lower. I initially bought mine to tip my toes into the adventure bike sector, with plans to buy a multistrada later on. Now, I'm not so sure. The Strom is a great bike and it's shortcomings can be addressed. Ultimately I think it comes down to your usage.
blues hurler and Swlewers like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode