Throttle Control or Electronic Cruise Control - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
To disengage a throttle lock you have to pull the clutch and turn the throttle all the way forward at the same time, not so easy to do in a panic situation, like if a deer suddenly appears or a ladder is on the road or something..
With a kaoko you can just roll the throttle down or up with it engaged, it is just a friction lock.

Cruise control drives me crazy as nobody on the road drives a constant speed.and I am always turning it on and off. I have 2 rostra units sitting here and I am still fine with the kaoko.
My longest stretch on a bike has only been 6 hours straight, maybe I would feel differently if I rode some serious miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 01-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyboy View Post
With a kaoko you can just roll the throttle down or up with it engaged, it is just a friction lock.

Cruise control drives me crazy as nobody on the road drives a constant speed.and I am always turning it on and off. I have 2 rostra units sitting here and I am still fine with the kaoko.
My longest stretch on a bike has only been 6 hours straight, maybe I would feel differently if I rode some serious miles.
Just as easy to turn off the electronic cruise control as it is to release the Kaoko. Easier to reset it than the Kaoko. I don't use either a throttle lock or cruise in heavy traffic, unless for just a quick picking of my nose....

Some highways allow you to have the cruise engaged for many, many miles at a time. This really keeps you more relaxed on long rides and keeps your speed even.

Anyone that has installed electronic cruise control or had a bike with OEM cruise will tell you that they don't want a bike without it again on any longer ride.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
post #23 of 35 Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyboy View Post
You might change your mind if you do a trip where you are in the saddle for 8ish hours a day for a month. Like RS said, having a constant speed set(mine is always 5 over the limit) on long runs actually allows you to focus on more threats(animals, debris, potholes, etc). With a throttle lock it is constant correction, which is a distraction....well unless you are on the Bonneville Salt flat. And I don't have to worry about hearing this......"Press hard, there are 5 copies"

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #24 of 35 Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Moderator++

Garage
To those who have never had a real electronic cruise control on your bike, disrespectfully, your opinion has no basis in comparison. I decided upon having a bike with ABS brakes and a real electronic cruise control that I'd never have a bike without either again.
realshelby likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #25 of 35 Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have an Atlas throttle lock on my 650. Works fine and speed is easy to adjust, simply open or close the throttle. It also fits any bike so you can take it with you.
Google Atlas throttle lock
post #26 of 35 Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another big thumbs up for the Rostra CC. The installation wasn't that hard, but it was time consuming. Like others have said, it'll take the better part of a day to install. I really can't add anything else that hasn't already said.

09 Wee

light travels faster then sound - which explains why people appear to be bright until they speak
post #27 of 35 Old 01-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Moderator++

Garage
When I put the CC on my '07 Wee, I just figured it was the next thing I'd like to have at the time. It, an aftermarket windscreen and a better seat were the three main changes that made the bike a great touring mount. I didn't realize how important I would consider it until I had it and headed for the Rockies. When I got the Glee in '12, I rode it a couple of weeks to make sure it didn't have any warranty issues then took it apart to add all the stuff I learned I wanted to have from riding the Wee. Windscreen, seat and cruise control along with support for heated gear were the must have items.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #28 of 35 Old 01-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm currently using an Omni Cruise throttle lock. I really want CC. My right hand and wrist are pretty beat up and I believe CC would be a lot nicer.

2014 DL1000A - Hazel
1979 CT90 - BOH
1994 FZJ80 - Tortuga
post #29 of 35 Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I see a lot of mention of Rostra. I didn't find any motorcycle specific on their site. Are people fitting the universal model to MC's?

2014 DL1000A - Hazel
1979 CT90 - BOH
1994 FZJ80 - Tortuga
post #30 of 35 Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBaggins View Post
I see a lot of mention of Rostra. I didn't find any motorcycle specific on their site. Are people fitting the universal model to MC's?
Yes, use the universal one. Rostra does not support motorcycle installations, so you may be depending on this group for your main source of tech support. The good news is that there are some experienced competent installed here.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2009 DL650 (Sold)
2009 Yamaha V-Star XVS950 (Sold)
All with the required enhancements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode