Throttle Control or Electronic Cruise Control - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

People just love to spend money. My $30 C clamp type has worked great for years. I was even just looking at that Torowhatzit chain oiler. $150+ Canadian. Think I'll just stick to sittin on the ground and cleaning and oiling before big rides.
Big B and TOScootz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 01-04-2017, 05:55 PM
TRM
Stromthusiast!

I think you have plenty of good responses, and I'd probably go with one of the elec cruise options if the install wasn't daunting to someone of my skill level. But to comment on the "cheaper" options I've had the Kaoko now on two bikes including my V2 and I've found that on long days it tries to back itself off my handlebars if I use it too long holding 75+ mph. Something the Throttlemeister has not done in almost 14 years on my Honda ST13. Not sure if they make one for the V2 with handguards?

Its a pretty quick adjustment, but another allen key to carry in my tank bag and something I have to check at gas stops.

Ride Safe, TRM
post #13 of 35 Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 PM
$tromtrooper

Maybe age has something to do with it? ...or maybe not. Always used throttle locks, and felt they were "adequate". Then, after somewhere near 400,000 miles I put a Rostra Electronic CC on my '07 DL650. Holeey crap, I am now officially spoiled and will never own another road bike without eeeee lec Tronic cruise.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #14 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just installed a brakeaway device and love it, turns off with use of brakes and very easy to set. I would call it the in between option that is better than most, but not as great as electronic of course. But it works wonderful.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

When I had my Vee I used a cramp buster and a throttle lock. It was effective but not as safe as I liked. But, it allowed right wrist and shoulder rest.

As for cruise, it came standard on my second S10. I still use the same cramp buster. I will not be without CC again on any bike for any use. I used to not feel this way. I also avoid long, boring roads. But, I find myself setting the CC at low speeds, like 35 mph even, to give my wrist and especially shoulder muscles a break. I love it now. And for that interstate that we all need to ride every now and then CC makes it as nice as possible, still boring, but nice.

But, like I opened with, a throttle lock is better than nothing and 90% effective as a cruise control.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #16 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Maybe age has something to do with it? ...or maybe not. Always used throttle locks, and felt they were "adequate". Then, after somewhere near 400,000 miles I put a Rostra Electronic CC on my '07 DL650. Holeey crap, I am now officially spoiled and will never own another road bike without eeeee lec Tronic cruise.
My next ADV bike will have it "factory", I am just not going to go through the hassle of installing aftermarket on my Strom......kudos to those that have.
mattski1 likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

post #17 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
My next ADV bike will have it "factory", I am just not going to go through the hassle of installing aftermarket on my Strom......kudos to those that have.
If you don't run off an buy that Duke, pick a weekend this spring....I'll ride up and help you install a Rostra. You are going West right?.....sounds like you need a cruise

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #18 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've been farkling up my current Vee2 (almost done, I swear) and it is addicting. I've pretty much left all my previous bikes stock. Currently content with the Kaoko throttle lock for occasional use/relief. I loved the factory cruise on my K1200LT. I think if I ever decide I must have electric CC, it will come factory installed on my next new bike. A man's got to know his limitations!

Current: '14 DL1000A, '16 DR650SE, '15 DR200S
Past: '07 DL1000, '02 K1200LTC, '89 ZX10, '81 KZ650, '75 DT400B
All I care about is riding... and like, maybe three people... and beer.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
If you don't run off an buy that Duke, pick a weekend this spring....I'll ride up and help you install a Rostra. You are going West right?.....sounds like you need a cruise
Has been a change of plans, heading West still but now not as far NW and W. Heading to the Ozarks, and possibly a bit further West depending on how I feel and the weather. Hmmmmmmm.........I may have to take you up on that, I do plan on keeping this Strom for quite some time.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Drill"

post #20 of 35 Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've used both, and in my opinion, there is no comparison between cruise control and a throttle lock! It's a perfect example of getting what you pay for. If you invest the time and $$ in cruise, you will never regret it; if you go throttle lock, you will be at least a little dissatisfied every time you use it. At least I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode