StromTrooper banner

Vee2 Fender Raising Kit

28K views 145 replies 35 participants last post by  Berksglh 
#1 ·
There has been a persistent slow drip of requests for a fender raising kit for the Vee2. I am pretty sure the fender can be raised 0.45" to 0.5" without changing the brake lines, but it would require multiple small machined parts to accomplish the spacing.

After removing the the front axle and probably the wheel, the parts would be secured from the backside (inside) of the existing mounts.

I am sure this would be a low volume part, but thought I would ask how much interest there is.

#2 ·
Raising the fender up is certainly needed for even casual dirt riding. I can hear the rocks dragging along the inside of the fender, sometimes even on the street.
I think a half inch would be just about right.
Removing the front wheel to install the kit would not deter me.
Mark me interested / likely.

#9 ·
I too would like the increase front fender clearance on my '15 650XT. Lots of noise up front while moving stones through that tight space. That cross-over brake line is a little weird / limiting. '80 BMW has a splitter box under the tank and a separate line down to each of the dual calipers. Running Avon TrailRiders and it would only get worse with anything with a more aggressive tread.

#19 ·
Yep, just a quick dremel job, elongated all the fender mounting holes and moved up the fender. Not that much more room, but better than stock clearance. Thinking of going with double front brake lines to get rid of crossover line mounted to front fender.

#14 ·
I'm half way there on the Vee2. The front part of the kit is now designed and a prototype built. It's a little more complicated than you might think. Pics to follow. The back piece is equally challenging to make.

Now the really good news. A local wee owner has offered to park his bike in my shop for a while.

I had already designed a fender riser for the two Wees but got interupted by our move. I'll get it finalized while I have the Wee on hand. Should work well for both the Wee and Wee2.

#20 ·
Our Galfer kits are all double front lines.

Sorry, now to let a little enthusiasm out of the subject for the Wee owners. You can not raise the front fender and use any of the currently available fork braces. Existing clearance between the fork brace and fender is about 1/16" to 1/8". So you can have your choice between a fork brace and fender raising kit. I will still make it, but you may want to weigh the advantages of both.

My buddy Ramjet took his brace off a 2012 DL650 to install an expensive aftermarket higher fender. After two weeks he took the expensive fender off, put the stock fender back on, and reinstalled the fork brace because he missed the brace.

#22 · (Edited)
That's odd. Unless I missed something I can get >5/8ths, maaaaaybe 3/4" under my fork brace. I am fabbing up brackets now for the two front holes(Neanderthal Metal Works), but I won't know where to drill the new holes until I get my suspension back from Daugherty. I started a thread in the Perf & Mod section....and don't laugh at my "machining" methods:shocked:

Oh, and I did raise some questions, such as is 3/4" actually beneficial?

And this is the perfect opportunity for someone to build a high-er front fender with and integrated fork brace......mummmmhummm!

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry it has taken so long to get back. I had to look for some photo's. I slapped this together for March Moto Madness last spring so I could run the E-10 tires and not have any rub at high speeds and keep the mud from clogging. I got some had some aluminum stock 3/4 X 1/8X36 $5.48 (Lowe's) laying around so I cut a few pieces to extend the fender without having redesign and hack up the fender and Brk/lines. I want to go back to stock when I sell. I had to drill two holes in the fwd. fender ears so the original mounting hardware would work. That left the original hole on top open. Once the front was raised and mounted I measured and cut a piece for the rear. The crossover brake line was now positioned rear of the original mount, I simply used a piece of Velcro to attach it to the fender. The main Brk/line is attached to the original mount with a re-usable tie. Everything has held up well all season in Mud/single track/water crossings. I will now remove everything and clean up or redo the mounts nice and neat. I will still most likely get a set of Rick's risers becuse of his workmanship and price point. Good Luck DIY"ers.

#26 ·
B-Mac,

Kudos.

Based on the pics I'm guessing the 1.23" is the total clearance, not the move. It is possible to kink a brake line and I was thinking this morning about an option that would allow a larger move up by replacing the crossover line with one 2" longer to get a 1" or higher rise. But that option would add $55 to the cost of an otherwise very economical kit.

It looks like you drilled new holes in the fender for the front top bolt. I'm guessing you made extenders for the back and lower front bolt. I think the DIY types would like pics or even video.

Rick

#29 ·
B-Mac,

What did you do for the back bolt? Is the new mount more bent aluminum flat bar?

This method has been used for years. I haven't heard but one negative comment about it so it probably works well.

I should have pics of my design posted this week end. I'm looking forward to having my solution for the back done. The front and back mounts take different approaches to the same problem. Fun stuff!

#32 ·
The temperature dropped significantly here. These are test parts to be installed as soon it it gets warm again. It will not be long,

The long piece is for the front. The short piece for the back.

The front piece bolts on from the back side using new stainless button head screws. The fender attaches to the new holes using the existing hardware. You may notice extra holes in the middle that don't make sense. These are just used to hold the part while it is machined.

The back piece is different. It attaches to the original rear mount from the outside using a new button head cap screw. The upper piece fits in the well that the original bolt would have gone into. The fender is then secured to the new mount using a button head cap screw and washer from the back side.

The raise is 0.65" or 16.5 mm. Target price will be $30. More to come as soon as I get the pieces installed. Will make an installation video as well.

This design lends itself to an even greater change in fender height if the cross over brake line is replaced.

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.