StromTrooper banner

Steering Stabilizer/Damper

18K views 75 replies 17 participants last post by  Rolex 
#1 ·
I am planning a trip to Inuvik for next Spring and thinking of adding a steering stabilizer. I have not had any luck finding one that is made for this bike, but there is a thread showing how to add one for a 650 with just one extra hole to drill on the mount. That sounded good, but the problem is, the Scott stabilizer wants to sit in between the handle bar mounts, right were I have my GPS, Delorme and my TPMS.

I could move the GPS above the instrument cluster, and the Delorme could go in my pocket (it should probably be there anyways), and the TPMS could be moved anywhere since it is rather small, however having the GPS up front I think would vibrate too much, and it may be too far away to be of much use. Thoughts on that?

Anyways, I was looking at what it would take to install a damper on the Forks instead and came across a picture that looks close to what the V2 has

These types of stabilizers are far less expensive than the Scotts, about 1/5th the price actually, but are they any good, and would it work in this location?

See less See more
#3 ·
It was me that made the Wee unit fit the V2.

My TPMS is mounted at the front brake master cylinder.

For my GPS I used one of the ball mounts that replace the handlebar mounting bolts, RAM call it a handlebar clamp base.

#6 ·
That should work. Yes, they work fine on road bikes.

There are two reasons the Scotts is popular, you can adjust it on the fly (I've never adjusted mine) the second reason is that that style of damper has a track record of coming adrift and jamming the steering. The Scott's don't do that.

So, yes it can work, I'd be generous with the lock-tite though and make a point of inspecting it regularly.

#8 ·
That exact same steering damper setup is what came factory OEM on my 1988 GSXR1100.
As I have never taken it off I cannot say how effective it is but the 1100 has always been stable unlike the GSXR750 I owned before it.
I have fitted steering dampers of this type to other bikes and their addition is very noticeable. They are usually adjustable but not to the extent of a Scotts damper.

#15 ·
You must have. ? He would have been talking about the fork brace which holds both fork sliders together promoting a less flexy feel at the bars.
A steering damper prevents lumpy terrain and off center impacts from ripping the bars out of your hands. The quicker steering your bike the more effective they can be at preventing loss of control.

#10 ·
That would describe the need for a fork brace, not a steering stabilizer. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-28 hole in my Scotts mount to the left of the stabilizer for a RAM ball mount but the main GPS is closer to the line of sight while riding when mounted high.

#14 ·
#20 ·
The picture of the mount on the Scotts site looks nothing like the actual V-Strom mount. The only risers that work with the Scotts are the pivoting type that use the clamp to hold the bottoms of the risers, like the Rox risers have. Also, the rise has to be at least 2-5/8" to clear. The 3.5" Rox ATV riser is one that works but it is higher than most people want. Some have used a 2" riser plus 1" spacer. Clearing Scott's damper with Rox risers on 2006 1000

Swapping handlebars is a more likely fix to get a different hand position, especially to keep the stock clutch, throttle and brake cables or brake hose on 1000s.

#21 · (Edited)
I almost forgot. The stabilizer can be mounted by reversing the control arm. That may allow a lower rise.

#22 ·
Do you really need that in a 650? unless your doing over 120 k/h off road I don't see the point of that... maybe it's just me...
the fork brace probably does a good job, because when i did the test drive in my bike i did found the front a bit loose,but when i bought it, I dropped the suspension a bit in the front and rear adjusted the suspension to my weight and it's great no problem with cross wind, wet roads, loose front... the bike handles spot on.
do you really notice much difference with the fork brace and the stabilizer?

#23 ·
I noticed an immediate difference with a fork brace riding in heavy truck traffic on windy days. I wish I had a steering stabilizer so I would have avoided getting spit off by a tank slapper that began at well over 100 miles per hour when I just took a few minutes to see how fast it would go. A fork brace may have been enough to save it but I can only guess. I vowed never to ride that fast again too.

#26 ·
Look at post #21 again. It says it all about reversing the mounting to possibly get the knobs away from the handlebar if you can see the picture. Maybe this is clearer but not a Strom.

#27 ·
I have a Scotts mounted under the bars on my V2. Custom bracket. Post pics when i get home.

Tom R

Reactions: cyclopathic
#30 ·
No. As I wrote before, the Scotts site does not show the right kit parts. There is a tower with a central bolt in the base and set screws in the corners for leveling as shown in some earlier pictures here.

#31 ·
Sorry, maybe I am confusing this, I would like to consider ordering the right mount kit that can be used. The link above points to one called "2011 Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom Stabilizer Mount Kit Only Options". I know the picture is wrong on it, but does that sound like the right kit?

If I do not get it from Scotts Performance Products, where can I buy the correct kit?

#32 ·
#33 ·
The Scotts site has the wrong picture but the kit will be correct for the bike. You can order direct or from many resellers. The mount you get will look different from the picture.

#34 ·
They dont do a kit specifically for the v2. The earlier kits require modification.
I came up with a custom bracket to sit under a pair of fat bar brackets/risers

Attachments

#35 ·
I had a suzuki DR 3509(no stabilizer) which I used mostly off road (less than 50 mph ) did sand dunes, washboard roads, rocky stuff, muddy stuff and all of that and it was fine... in fact in slow more technical terrain it was good not to have any stabilizer, the only part where I found it could be needed was at high speed but since the DR 350 wouldn't go over 75 mph and didn't have brakes to go off road at those speeds it didn't matter... :)
with the DL 650 xt I tried some gravel roads around 50 mph and it felt bit looser but just because I have the stock tyres and didn't lower the pressure...
with stock tyres and lower pressure, ridding on the beach (wet sand) wasn't bad as long i don't try to drift like i did in the DR 350 and keep in mind the DL 650 it's almost twice the weight of the DR 350.
I just don't think you get enough improvement with the stabilizer the be worth the money...
Just my point of view...
Cheers.

#38 ·
There are only a few places where the the damper makes a difference around here, BUT it's a big difference. Worst is a set of roads which are a short cut, the local council maintains those by dumping coarse sand on them and packing it down, note I said nothing about grading the road first. That works for cars but bikes cut through the sand and the front wheel picks up the ruts underneath.

The damper there is the difference between a VERY nervous 10kph paddle through and 70kph 'who cares' ride through.

Everywhere else is more subtle but it does make a crash avoiding difference when things get marginal.

#40 ·
This would not be needed for normal road riding, it could be needed when riding the Dempster, I have read the road can get squirrely sometimes where you are rolling along fine, then suddenly hit deep sand or mud which can cause a tank slapper.

It is also apparently good when riding on rocks, or in bumps of any size.

#43 ·
A stabiliser is one of those things you hope to never need "but when you do" you know it was well worth the $$$$$$

If you never leave the black top the need for one can be very limited but if you like to push things to the extreme or get off road you will soon appreciate what they can do for your ridding enjoyment.

They standout in the sand, the mud and in the rocks and are a help at any other time, if you spend any length of time in poor road conditions you will arrive more relaxed and less exhausted.

Compared with beer dampers are expensive but if it saves you from one small crash it will have paid for its self in the cost of bike repairs and if it is a bigger ooops it will save medical bills too.

I have them on my WR450f, my MT09 and I took the one from my Wee and fitted it to my V2, once you have used one you know how useful they are until then it is just a guess.

Reactions: Bugzy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.