StromTrooper banner

OEM Sidecase "Rubber Bumper"

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  MotoMachines 
#1 ·
I have the 2014 big bike with the OEM sidecases and noticed the other day that I was missing the rubber bumper that sets on top of the flat steel bracket. Towards the front of the case there is an "arm" that accepts the rubber bumper which keeps the case stable. Not sure how or where this fell off, but it's gone.

Anyone have an idea for an replacement?

Thanks!

#11 · (Edited)
Lost mine a long time ago.
I just put some high density auto weather stripping in the case cavity that slips over the mounting bar/plate.
Wiggles around a bit,but that's no biggie.
When I wanted to replace them, I too was told that I had to buy the mounting kit at about $160.
Glad to know I can buy the rubbers only.
$37 is a little steep, but this time I will glue them on.

P.S....if that is $37 each, I will stick with what I got.

#13 ·
I can't take a pic, but if you look at the side cases you will notice a three side "open box" structure that fits over and sits on the factory rubber mount,if you haven't lost them.
All you do is stick some weather stripping on the inside surfaces of these "boxes" so that you can mount your side case but not let it slap around.

#16 ·
I too have the same bumpers - but thankfully havent lost one... I intend to drill small through each and insert a tight fitting plastic "wall plug" - the type you hammer into a hole in concrete etc to put a screw into ;)
The plug will go perpendicular to the metal bracket and stop the rubber from being able to slide off ;)

#23 ·
I don't think you are wrong. I think they have that as a complete part aimed at customers who bought a standard model and now want to install OEM bags.
I just fabricated a replacement. PIA ! I used some horse-stall floor-mat rubber that I have. I split it longitudinally with a band saw and then ground one half to fit the thickness. I had intended to use a pop rivet to fasten it but have lost interest in counter sinking the rivet etc. so I used a black Gorilla Tape wrap. I'm sure that is not the image Suzuki wants to portray when the bags are not mounted.

You can see that the original glue got wiped off when the employee pushed the rubber on without spreading the rubber around the steal tab.
I would hope that Suzuki will make the just the rubber pads available and include the proper adhesive. My bike is a 2014 but still under warranty for another month so I'll send in a claim.

Attachments

#24 ·
Y'all don't forget good ol "Gorilla Snot" AKA 3M Weatherstrip adhesive.
It ain't going anywhere if you put it on with that stuff - I hear they make it in black now vs the original bright yellow.
So now I gotta go do mine - this is what makes these forums great. I simply wouldn't have known until they were gone.
Thanks!

#26 ·
I lost one of mine after just a few months and the other was loose. I think the adhesive they use is wrong for the application. Contacted the local dealer, who told me I'd have to buy the whole bracket for $150. Forget it.

I fabricated a replacement using a jeweler's rubber pad, which is a 4" square of rubber of about the right thickness. Works fine, slightly tighter than the original, and doesn't look an improvised piece of crap.

#27 ·
I had the same experience. Took off the side bags for a track day and forgot about the rubber - doh! After trying to find an OEM replacement - fail! - I went to Ace Hardware and bought the largest rubber plug they had for $0.75. Carved that into a replacement. It fits so tightly that when I take the bag off the rubber stays in the sleeve. That was 18 months ago and it's still working better than the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.