Simple Mod for Stock and Seat Concepts Seats - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 08-23-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Simple Mod for Stock and Seat Concepts Seats

This mod is easy, free, and gives a subtle noticeable improvement.

I had the opportunity to sit on a seat concepts Vee2 seat at the last eastern gathering. The owner pointed out that it was a good seat as long as you didn't mind the forward position and a little pressure on the sacroiliac. I had a Shad comfort seat on my own Vee2, but was eager to give it a try.

It was as the owner said a good seat with the traditional tractor seat shape. I did notice that it seemed to place me a little forward and the my butt was up against the curved step to the passenger area.

When I posted my experience seat concepts took exception to my comment that teh seat placed the rider further forward. Turned out they were right. I had gotten use to my Shad comfort seat which provides a little more space for the rider.

Anyway, I bought a seat concepts seat and tried it for a while. Nice foam, comfortable bucket, but that pressure on the sacroiliac was still there. Seat concepts provides new foam and a cover that goes over the stock seat pan. Very economical and not too hard to do with good succes. The owner of Seat Concepts had explained to me that the stock seat pan was a limiting factor on the Vee2 seat. For some reason Suzuki put a ridge across the back that limits the depth of foam at the riders tailbone. You can see it here in this photo.

This is exactly the opposite of the Shad comfort seat which provides a relief in the foam (a hollow tunnel) under the rider tail bone so that weight is supported on the butt cheeks.

My course of action became clear. Turn the negative into a positive by removing the raised part of the stock seat pan under the tail bone. In theory it should give the same effect as the Shad seat tunnel.

It worked. A subtle change in feel, but the right change. The pressure on the tailbone is gone. Now it's just a feeling of broad support.

Seems like it should work as well with the stock seat as the seat concepts seat.

I used an rotary cut off tool to make the cut.

Last edited by greywolf; 05-18-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: redo pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is there a chance you could get another picture of it from a little further away for better perspective on the relief cut? I have terrible issues with tail bone related discomfort and pain and this might be the ticket for me. I just picked up a seat concepts seat and have not had a chance to ride it yet but I figured after the stock and gel seats have murdered my ass theirs can't be nearly as bad but I just know that tailbone issue is going to make or break it for me.

Thanks in advance!!
post #3 of 36 Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Sure, I'll try to get it later today. Going to pick up a new bike right now.

I also wanted to re-emphasize how this could be a good fix for the stock seat foam. Although the foam is fairly flat, to me the stock seat felt convex or rounded. I believe this is because the foam is so much thinner and the hard plastic seat base so close to the rider down the center of the seat. Removing the hard plastic in the area under the tail bone should make the stock foam much more comfortable.

post #4 of 36 Old 08-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Is this the stock seat or the seat comfort seat? Can't wait to see more pics.

1986 XS650
2002 T100
2005 RSTD
2009 DL650
1965 T120SR

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
post #5 of 36 Old 08-24-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Stock seat pan left, Shad Comfort Seat right

You can't see the tunnel in the Shad's seat's foam, but you can see that the stock seat has plastic closer to the body/ thinner foam in the tail bone/prostate area.

Another view of the cut.

Tomorrow I'm going to extend the removed plastic another inch or so forward. The first cut relieved the pressure on the tail bone. A little more is needed to relieve the pressure on the prostate area. However, as is, it's an improvement.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
New bike????

2014 DL1000 Khaki
post #7 of 36 Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yea, that was the plan. Kawasaki Versys. More parts to design. Another fun bike to ride. But it's Gen 2 version did not live up to expectations. Very disappointing for a middle aged bald guy like me. (Who am I kidding, I'm not middle aged anymore!) Despite the magazine writers opinions I think the V-Strom still owns this class in a big way.

ADVENTURE TOURING COMPARISON: Kawasaki Versys 650 LT vs. Suzuki V-Strom 650XT | MOTORCYCLIST

I'm going to make a course adjustment and take a hard look at the latest Gen 3 Versys offering. Nuff said. Back on topic. I'll start a thread discussing the Gen 3 Versys if I get one.
IDRIDR likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Do you see any downside to cutting the pan?

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2013 V-Strom 650
2012 DR650SE
post #9 of 36 Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Nope yet, no down side. Dirt bike riders have been doign ti for years.

I took out another 1.5" forward this morning. Haven't ridden it, but just sitting still it seems to have had the desired effect. Will update after a few miles.
G-Dub likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Yea, that was the plan. Kawasaki Versys. More parts to design. Another fun bike to ride. But it's Gen 2 version did not live up to expectations. Very disappointing for a middle aged bald guy like me. (Who am I kidding, I'm not middle aged anymore!) Despite the magazine writers opinions I think the V-Strom still owns this class in a big way.

ADVENTURE TOURING COMPARISON: Kawasaki Versys 650 LT vs. Suzuki V-Strom 650XT | MOTORCYCLIST

I'm going to make a course adjustment and take a hard look at the latest Gen 3 Versys offering. Nuff said. Back on topic. I'll start a thread discussing the Gen 3 Versys if I get one.
Haven't ridden on Gen3 Versys, but as a guy coming in opposite direction, why?? Despite all what they say in motorcyclist review, Wee is much better more versatile machine.

I gave up on Versys due to following reasons:
- Versys sucks 2up loaded. To say handles like crap would be a big understatement
- 17" DS tire availability.
- Wee engine is alot smoother and usable in 2-3k range. Versys? not so much.
- MPG, or more precisely tank range.

Now as exclusive on-road solo machine it may be better, but not by much. Not enough to overcome shortcomings above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode