StromTrooper banner

OEM low seat

21K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  JR1817 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how much lower the Suzuki low seat is in comparison to the standard? Tia, fg

#3 ·
I had ridden for 18/12 with the stock seat and always felt nervous maneuvering on slopes or rough ground when I found it difficult to put a foot on the ground easily. The low OEM seat is 3cm lower than the standard seat. I can have both feet flat on the ground now, instead of just the balls of my feet with the standard seat. The ease of getting a foot down is a big improvement for me when slow riding on rough tracks and I find the seat is at least as comfortable as the stock seat.:smile2:

#4 ·
I was about to ask a similar question - glad I read this post. I just bought a new 2014 and I am having to wait on a lowering link because it was so tall that I could barely get the balls of my feet on the ground. They said I would get about 2 inches with this lowering link and I am hoping that is going to be enough. If not, I may grab a lower seat for the extra distance.

#5 ·
I tried the lower seat and found it to be no better than sitting on a plank. Think they just shaved off a lot of foam.
Fortunately after a year of ownership my stock seat also has bedded in and I'm able to get feet down easier. 31" inside leg.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a low and a standard and swap between both depending on the ride.
The standard gives more room between seat and foot peg on the low I feel slightly cramped but reach the floor better.

Will be trying the airhawke on the low again under my SitnFly to see how that goes for reach to the floor and crampedness while riding.

I think the low is 30mm lower than standard.

Cheers GotV2

#7 ·
I have the low seat and it is a plank. Sit n fly helped a little, as did a couple of layers of memory foam-but by then the seat was getting up a bit- airhawk has saved my arse for the last 5000ks :)
Factory low seat takes out 30mm, and any comfort.

#9 ·
I've got the lowered seat, like others have said it's about 30mm lower and a bit hard, an airhawk will be a good thing to have in addition if you went that way, helps me a fair bit :)

#10 ·
Reviving at the risk of hijacking.....

So I posted up last year before I got my strom that they were getting a lowering link for me. I keep hearing that clearance and all that is decreased on a strom anyway then I turned around and lowered it almost 2 inches. This has not been an issue for me yet but I am increasing my offroading a little bit. I have been riding for a year now and am comfortable with the height. The question I have is whether or not it would be smart to put the original link back in to add back the 1.5-2 inches I took out then get the lower seat which will give me back 30mm (1.2") to compensate for my height distance and give me a little more clearance on the bottom. Thoughts?

#21 ·
I bought a 13 Glee that the PO had lowered. I have a 30" inseam. I went back to stock and added 1" insoles in my Alpinestar boots and that has worked great. Got a Bill Mayer seat.

Outbackwack

#12 ·
I also have the low seat. Yes it is harder, but it's also more dished so more of my bum is distributed evenly across the whole seat surface. On the stock seat there were more pressure points. I like it more.

#15 ·
I went out this weekend for the first time and I am glad that I did raise the rear up again. I put a Ravetech skid plate on and I am so glad I did. I heard it scrape a few times and I'm sure I got my money's worth out of it. I left the front suspension a little lower to help with maneuvering. I think I like how it's set up right now - actually much better than when it was lowered. And the seat is not the issue I thought it would be.

#19 ·
My bike came with the low seat so I can't comment on the high seat, but I like the low seat. I don't find it anymore uncomfortable then any other factory seat I have had on a bike. It's more comfortable then the seat on my Aprilia Caponord which has much thicker padding. The Capo seat puts a lot of pressure on my tail bone and becomes unbearable after about 300 miles. I rode it straight through 8 hours to Alabama for the race last fall and my dick was numb for 2 days. I don't have that with the Vstrom seat. I have a 28" inseam and can reach the ground with the balls of my feet. I do find myself one legging it pretty often though. I think I do that out of laziness more then necessity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.