StromTrooper banner

Rear fender huggers?

29K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  strom90 
#1 ·
Anyone using one? After a ride in the rain the other day I see more sand and dirt flung around the rear swingarm than I'd like to see.

My research came up with both Givi and Puig making for our 2014 and up DL1000 V-Stroms.

Anyone using one, and if so, how do you like it?

Are there any other companies making one?

#6 · (Edited)
+1 for the Givi, got ours from Motostorm.it. It does keep a lot of debris off the shock but not all!, At first I thought it was looked very plain and cheap :( (it is!) but agree it is functional and un obtrusive. If you want a Carbon Fiber or high gloss product this will dissapoint you.I had actually considered painting mine...
The finish is in a "durable" satin/matt , I would prefer a slight texture or "depth" to the surface.Howeveras Bosnjo's image shows the hugger can be shined up with a suitable "shine" spray or product.
In anycase, you dont see the hugger when you're riding ;)
AND the Givi IS very competitively priced ;)
I am glad we bought one :)

I did notice the factory rubber flap that hangs down between the hugger and the shock might in time rub the hugger surface as the rear suspension compresses and spoil the hugger surface finish, I have forgotten to check ours-which we have ridden about ,4000 ks I,ll check it and see! The flap could be removed,trimmed or folded up out of the way as it is made redundant by the hugger.

#9 · (Edited)
I went with the Puig. It has an integral chain guard. You first remove the factory chain guard and mini deflector and then slip the Puig in place and start bolting it up. You add a mounting bracket to the RH side of the swing arm and that gives it a total of five attachment points.

Before:

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Crappy after photos:

#16 ·
Ok, if you look down into the abyss behind your forks and forward and to the side of your fuel tank (framed by the silver colored trim pieces) you will see a small strut, about 1/4" diameter and 3" long, that is parallel with the ground and perpendicular to the backbone of the frame. I have the front straps looped around those and routed up to the bag itself.

I didn't get a photo of the strut but here's some crappy photos of what it looks like:

Front Anchor :
Wolfman Rainier 2014 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
Rear Anchor :

#14 ·
This mud guard looks like an important add-on for anyone that rides dirt or gravel roads. I am trying to locate one now. Best price noted so far is from Canadasmotorcycle.ca for $134.99 (Canadian) with Free shipping, but they are currently out of stock. Prices from Italy with shipping seem to be over $200 and from US prices are the same as in Canada, but in US bucks, which means 30% more (in Canada) plus shipping costs (if any).

Guess I will wait a while to see if this becomes available in Canada. If anyone sources one cheaper please let me know. I won't need it for a few months so there is time to wait for a deal someplace.

#22 ·
I installed the Givi hugger today. There is a small piece of adhesive foam included. The hugger floats over the front-end of the chain guard. The foam tape is applied under the hugger where it overlaps the chain guard. This is intended to prevent rattling as the two pieces of plastic come in contact.

Tipsy

#32 ·
This Givi unit arrived today and I had it on the bike in 30 minutes. Simple install.

I think it took longer rounding up the tools than actually swapping it in. Looks effective, will see. It is very light in weight so no worries about adding extra bulk to bike.

I wonder if thicker mud may still sling up since this fender does not extend out over the tire too far. The more expensive bikes have a shorty fender extending out the back of the wheel, I assume to catch that thicker mud.

#35 · (Edited)
So do you have a dual sport rear tire mounted with larger tread blocks? Have you tested it at speed yet for rubbing? Thanks.

#39 ·
Hi Nicholas
We have the Suzuki after market guard with the Givi Hugger and all fits well very happy with it.

Cheers GotaV2

Reactions: StromHK
#40 ·
Just ordered the Givi hugger from Motostorm.it yesterday. Site indicates shipping in 7/8 days. I'm in no hurry. Price in USD is $75 plus $31 shipping for $106 total. Compare to Revzilla at $135 (and out of stock for over a year). Paid with PayPal. Slight glitch and submitted a duplicate payment. They emailed me first thing today and have already processed the refund of the dup payment. That's reassuring!

Givi Mg3105 Black | MotoStorm

Reactions: Bugzy
#43 ·
Those of you with rear fenders: Did you notice it make a difference in keeping under the seat clean? I just got back from my first lengthy road trip on the bike and I could not believe how much shit has accumulated under my seat. I noticed you can see plain through to the rear spring area, so I imagine this is where most of the dirt/grim entered.