StromTrooper banner

Switched ABS

16K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  Rolex 
#1 ·
Has anyone connected the ABS through a switch yet?

I'm really happy with the system so far but on occasion I want to be able to turn it off without getting off the bike, removing the seat, and a fuse...

What are the thoughts on the better ways to run the ABS through a switch that won't cause any harm to anything concerned.

#3 ·
You can get replacement 'fuses' which are open circuit with wires out the top. One of those and an inline switch and fuse should do the trick and be nice and tidy. (Try eBay, deals extreme) "Automotive fuse tap" gave me hits.

Considered doing it, but after testing the DL on gravel decided the ABS was better than I am and left it alone.

Pete

#6 ·
To switch of the ABS temporarily!

Steps to disable the Abs:

1- Turn on the bike and ride a few meters until the abs-led switch off (as normal)
2- With the bike on the central stand, put 2nd gear and accelerate (let spin the rear wheel) until the abs-led switch on. That’s it!. Now your abs is disabled. This seems that does not affect to the traction control.
3- To re-connect the abs, just turn off the engine with the key in the off position and turn the bike on again.

That's all Folks.

#7 · (Edited)
That sounds interesting I'll give that a go when I get home just out of interest. I wonder how that tricks the ABS to turn off again. What does second gear do?
You've got me interested here...

My reason to disable the ABS is for very steep dirt down hill sections. To put the bike on the centre stand, which I have, might not be possible if already on a downward slope that is becoming increasingly steep.
Some of the mountain trails are so steep it can be hair raising on my wr450 and to attempt on the Vstrom with ABS active will be..more so...as the added weight of this bike wants to gather more momentum.

A bar mounted switch is ideal, to disable the front only would be better still. But then being able to disable the rear only would be great for the flat dirt tracks where being able to steer the rear and back it in would be great. Especially in one of those oh shit moments when coming in a bit hot..

I'm confident to manage the rear end with the system off altogether but getting off the bike and removing seats and fuses or getting on the centre stand mid trail is not practical or how I want to go about this idea if possible.

I don't know enough yet to go chopping into wires that may cause havoc with a complexed system and I don't want to face my mechanic with problems caused by incompetent modifications let alone a not at all working ABS system, worst case.. I want to do this properly I just don't know how is best yet.

I'll give a few guys a call when I get home and keep the post updated but sometimes the most innovative ideas have come from the forums and worked where others have said no way..

#8 · (Edited)
Hello OzCrow,

I 's really quite simple. Because the front wheel is stands still and the rear wheel is spinning, The ABS sensor thinks there is something wrong and indicates a failure. So its turns itself off. You actually generates an error.
Several V-Strommers have tried it and it works. Of course we done a brake test to be sure, and the ABS does not intervene. Also the ABS turns back on as soon as you turn off the bike and on again.

A mounted switch is ideal, but a lot of work and time to make it. Here you see a switch to turn off the ABS. It's mounted in the dashboard . On the right the ABS Switch en on the left the switch for the
fog lights.

Peter

#9 ·
RhinoVstrom that looks like what I'm hoping to do. Is that your bike? do you have any information on the lot of time and effort concerning that picture. Or a link to the post it came from...

That is exactly what I want to do but don't know the best way to go about it.
I don't want to put my bike on it's stand to trick the ABS I just wanna turn it off. Without any drama of course.

#11 ·
#12 ·
abs turn off

I have installed a 15 amp switch to turn off the abs, i installed the switch on the right side of the acc ontlet hole, the switch came from eastern beaver. You can tie into the abs 15 amp fuse with in the fuse box. If you look there is a black/red wire, i trimmed the black cover down a couple of inchs to get more wire access. Then i cut the wire and installed a male and femail connector, so the circuit, could be hooked back togeather is any problems came up. Then ran two wires up to my new switch, this is how it works.
1. turning off the switch shuts down the abs, and traction control system, and will show a F1 light, this is all normal.
2, To turn the system back on push the switch, at this time the abs will come back on, B ut the traction control will not turm back on, and the Fi light will stay on, this is normal.
3. If you want to turn the hole system back on, all you have to do is at any speed, pull in the clutch and turn off kill switch, and then back on, all systems will come back on, and the Fi light will turn off.
4. I normaly do this a soon as i hitt the pavement at speed. Thank Dale

#19 ·
I have installed a 15 amp switch to turn off the abs, i installed the switch on the right side of the acc ontlet hole, the switch came from eastern beaver. You can tie into the abs 15 amp fuse with in the fuse box. If you look there is a black/red wire, i trimmed the black cover down a couple of inchs to get more wire access. Then i cut the wire and installed a male and femail connector, so the circuit, could be hooked back togeather is any problems came up. Then ran two wires up to my new switch, this is how it works.
1. turning off the switch shuts down the abs, and traction control system, and will show a F1 light, this is all normal.
2, To turn the system back on push the switch, at this time the abs will come back on, B ut the traction control will not turm back on, and the Fi light will stay on, this is normal.
3. If you want to turn the hole system back on, all you have to do is at any speed, pull in the clutch and turn off kill switch, and then back on, all systems will come back on, and the Fi light will turn off.
4. I normaly do this a soon as i hitt the pavement at speed. Thank Dale
FYI, by disconnecting only one of the fuses (sorry, can't remember which one right now), only the ABS light is lit, and the FI light stays off.

#20 · (Edited)
The best way is to negative switch the module, not cause voltage spikes for on the fly useage by cutting into the fused power supply.
I had a chat with a mate who had much to say about disconnecting the ABS properly without doing any damage to the system or entire bike worst case.
I'm yet to get a wiring diagram and find the correct earth wire to switch from.

#23 ·
There will be no spikes unless you use the switch at the same time as you lock the wheels up.

There is no power draw on the system unless the pump is operating.

#21 ·
How is the switch set up coming along? My manual says ABS won't engage under 15mph. Has anyone tried going under that downhill?

At any rate, I am looking at building my own disconnect. Do I have it right to just bypass the ABS pump fuse (the 30 amp I believe)? I'm going to put a N/O relay on a bypass to that fuse and then wire a switched lead to the handlebars. I have a schematic drawn out at home I can attach later if there is interest or confusion.

I think the lower amp fuse causes more system havock with TCS and the FI light....anyone clarify?

#22 ·
yes you want to bypass the pump not the other abs fuse.

#25 ·
I would prefer to only have abs on the front. Several times over the years I have locked up the rear on purpose to help swerve away from danger.
Unless you are off-road (which I don't fully understand) how do you swerve away from danger by sliding the rear? How is losing traction a more effective way to avoid danger than is steering the bike?

..Tom

#29 ·
It's the first I have heard of it for road riding. What speeds are you doing this at?

I know bike racers will step out the rear using the throttle but it is a different situation. I see dirt riders doing locking the rear to bring the bike around but again that seems to be a different situation

I have never heard of anyone purposely doing this or teaching this for emergency situations.. perhaps I am missing something. In all honestly my first thought is it sounds a lot like the same line of thinking as "laying the bike down".

Hopefully others can chip in here and explain what I'm missing.

Thanks,

..Tom

#30 ·
The first time was at about 30 mph. The last time was about 50 or so. I was not taught this move. It's purely instinctive.

As for laying the bike down, making it under a semi trailer would be tough with rear abs......

#32 ·
That sounds like a skid and a save to me. I understand pro racers do it on purpose as well as hang off the side and drag a knee in curves. I wouldn't recommend doing either when street riding as it doesn't leave any room for error.

#35 ·
#36 ·
I had a certified marine electrician look at the schematics and he said it was simple (for him). He cut the wire to the ABS, inserted a new wire, which we routed up to the dash. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the dash for a simple switch (all h/w we got at West Marine). Now, I can switch off/on ABS anytime, without stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
that's what my tech did he did it from the bottom of the fuse box only i have the switch next to the key that pops the seat

Reactions: Birchgroover
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.