Fuel line replacement - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
$tromtrooper

Default Fuel line replacement

Forgive me if this is addressed somewhere else, but I've read that fuel line need to be replaced every four years as scheduled maintenance on the vee. Has anyone followed that schedule and if so did you use aftermarket or stock replacement.

Out of curiosity I checked stock prices and I was a little surprised, high in price.

How long do fuel lines last?

I had a restoration project 1983 and the fuel lines were intact but pretty hard and brittle.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I replace as needed personally. If you are talking about replacing the main line from the tank then it is expensive and thats because its specific. It is plastic on the inside and has the fancy little quick disconnects. The only way that I know of around buying the factory one is if you 'CAREFULLY' cut the connectors out of the old one and put them into a new line. At that point you would need to add FI
hose clamps. Keep in mind, as far as I know, the only time someone would cut the line up is if they were adding an external fuel filter and by-passing the expensive internal filter. Those filters are supposed to be good for a really long time. I doubt your ling (that I'm speaking of) needs replacing either. Its pretty tough stuff, can't see it going bad unless it had something wear a rub hole into it or whatnot.

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wouldn't bother. Its well made. The recomendation is a cover your ass recomendation like brake lines.

If Suzuki was concerned they would tell you to replace the crap piece of fuel line between the injector rails. The clamps on this short and cheaply replaceable line leak eventually on almost every Vee I have seen pissing raw fuel onto the engine. I would replace the original fule rail line (and clamps specifically) the first time I had the tank off.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksBaron View Post
Forgive me if this is addressed somewhere else, but I've read that fuel line need to be replaced every four years as scheduled maintenance on the vee. Has anyone followed that schedule.
The lifetime of the "soft" parts like fuel lines is so dependent on environmental factors, a factory "schedule" like this is really just a warning to check components on your bike from time to time. One bike's hoses may be fine after 10 years of indoor storage and weekend rides in nice weather; another's may need R&R after a few years.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
$tromtrooper

Scott,

You have pic of the fuel lines at the injector rails?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Moderator++

The short fuel line between the rails is the usual culprit when it comes to old fuel hoses. It's been enough of a problem to have been eliminated in the Glee which uses a tee fitting to get the pump hose to meet the two fuel rails. See #16.

This configuration replaces the old configuration of a line from the fuel pump to the green fuel rail, though the blue hose to the other rail. That hose tends to dry out and shrink if not used for a while and the red crimp clamps not longer handle the job. Replacing the blue hose and using fuel injection rated screw type hose clamps instead of the stock type fixes the problem. Except in cases of people mishandling the clip ends on the hose between fuel pump and green fuel rail, that hose is rarely reported to cause a problem. The hoses at the bottom of the pic below are vacuum hoses, not fuel hoses.

Last edited by greywolf; 01-16-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The short fuel line between the rails is the usual culprit when it comes to old fuel hoses. It's been enough of a problem to have been eliminated in the Glee which uses a tee fitting to get the pump hose to meet the two fuel rails. See #16.

This configuration replaces the old configuration of a line from the fuel pump to the green fuel rail, though the blue hose to the other rail. That hose tends to dry out and shrink if not used for a while and the red crimp clamps not longer handle the job. Replacing the blue hose and using fuel injection rated screw type hose clamps instead of the stock type fixes the problem. Except in cases of people mishandling the clip ends on the hose between fuel pump and green fuel rail, that hose is rarely reported to cause a problem. The hoses at the bottom of the pic below are vacuum hoses, not fuel hoses.

I have had to fix mine 2 times in almost 50,000 miles!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
[B]Facebook[/B]..PNW Adventure Riders..[B]Facebook[/B]
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for diagram guys. Blue hose with red clamps. Requires removal of gas tank and air box so while your there tighten up throttle body boot clamps too.

Any high pressure fuel hose (yes I would replace it no matter how good the original one looks) and fuel injection type clamps will suffice. I would not use good old worm gear/band clamps. I had a little trouble finding proper clamps locally but Orielly's Auto store had them.

Maybe the esteemed Greywolf has a pic of one.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Thanks Scott.

So just to be clear the hose colored blue in diagram is what I should replace and the two clamps colored red need to be replaced with something more resistant to breaking.

Greywolf or anyone else be so kind to post a Google image of an appropriate fuel line and clamp replacement? I have some left over fuel line from a project ( 1/4 I.D. X 3/8 O.D. RACING COLORED FUEL LINE) will it work?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksBaron View Post
So just to be clear the hose colored blue in diagram is what I should replace and the two clamps colored red need to be replaced with something more resistant to breaking.
Those are the parts to replace. Just be sure the line and clamps are fuel injection rated. Any auto parts store droid should know what they have that qualifies. The fuel system is holding at 43psi whenever the ignition is on. I get from other posts you need 5/16" or 8mm ID hose and clamps to fit the OD, probably 1/2" or 11-13mm. I don't have personal experience.

The clamps will look like

Do not get the type that look like

Sponsored Links
Advertisement