Upgraded the front brakes! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Upgraded the front brakes!

G’day Stromtroopers,

It took a few hours to do, but I must say that this brake upgrade was well worth the time. Firstly, I have to give props to Blair Layton @ SVRacingparts.com – he was very helpful with all of my questions and shipped out all the parts I needed very quickly. The relocation brackets he sells are quality pieces and work perfectly. The only 'modification' I had to make was to build a bracket to help hold the right brake line in place since the stock ones have a distribution block that bolts directly to the right fork/fender.

I would post some photos in the thread, but I couldn't get them to display in-line. Here are some links instead:

Here’s a before picture of the old 2-piston Tokico calipers:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dky0nfm8h...2010.53.59.jpg

Here’s a shot of the “new” 4-piston Nissin calipers installed with the relocation brackets, Galfer lines and Galfer HH pads:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltn6z1rue2...2013.37.36.jpg
You can see the bracket I made in the second photo.

I took a short ride to bed in the new brake pads and after a few regular stops, I could feel the pads really starting to bite. The new calipers/lines/pads have a lot more feel than the old ones, and they require significantly less lever pressure to get things slowed down. I wouldn’t say they feel as awesome as the brakes on my GSXR, but I do have a lot more confidence in the front brakes now than I did before. I think there were a few times when I was doing hard stops that I felt the back tire come off the ground a little bit. I wouldn’t have been comfortable trying that with the old brakes. The Nissin and Tokico calipers are almost identical, but the Nissin ones have 1mm larger pistons in them for (potentially) more clamping force.

Here’s the cost breakdown for anyone interested:

2002 CBR600F4i calipers: $64.99 shipped from a vendor on eBay.
SVRacing relocation brackets: $75
Galfer HH sintered brake pads for both calipers: $70
Double Banjo bleeder for master cylinder: $19.95
Galfer SS +2 lines: $89.95
Total: $319.89

I highly recommend doing this upgrade for anyone with a V-Strom .

Cheers,
-Greg

Last edited by GL_Vstrom; 01-12-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Looks great , so you didn't need to replace/upgrade the master cylinder ???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromina View Post
Looks great , so you didn't need to replace/upgrade the master cylinder ???
No, the stock one works just fine. I'm sure that if I were to spring for a radial master cylinder it would be even better, but I don't think it would be significant enough to justify the cost.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The radial master cylinder is worth teh cost. remember that you are now moving 8 pistons and the original MC is sized for 4. You can pickup a used Nissin MC on ebay for like $100. well worth it IMO
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I took a ride yesterday with a friend of mine who also has a DL-1000.

We made some interesting observations as we swapped bikes at the start of Jalama road. Firstly, he was quite pleased with the heated grips on my 'Strom - they helped take the sting out of the air that his gloves and handguards weren't blocking. The next thing was how great an improvement the caliper upgrade made to the brakes on my bike compared to his. He indicated that my upgraded brakes were 1-finger strong and much easier to modulate than his stockers.

The last thing that we noticed was different came as a bit of a surprise. For some reason, my bike has much easier steering than his does. Light input on the bars will cause mine to tip into a turn, while his required a bit more muscle to get it leaned over. The only thing I can definitely say is different is that I have the wrong size tire on the back of my bike. My tire is a 160/60 and the proper tire (as his bike has) is a 150/70. Despite my tire having a shorter overall height, it felt like the tail of his bike sits a little lower than mine. Perhaps that's what is causing the slower steering feel on his? Both bikes have stock suspension.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

He may want to replace his steering head bearing if it's stiff. I doubt the tire size would affect it that much.

Sounds like a good modification for front brakes.

I don't really have an issue stopping though, so it would be hard for me to justify the expense.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I don't really have an issue stopping though
The stock brakes will lock the wheels. The modified brakes will have better feel, and some may agree that it changes the brakes from 4-finger to 2-finger...or whatever way you describe easier, smoother braking.
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this communication do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I think I will be doing this upgrade in the near future. Stock brakes leave a whole lot to be desired.

Is it a requirement to go with the SS lines? Can you Make it work with just new calipers and the adapters, and do the lines later?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
I think I will be doing this upgrade in the near future. Stock brakes leave a whole lot to be desired.

Is it a requirement to go with the SS lines? Can you Make it work with just new calipers and the adapters, and do the lines later?
I wouldn't say it's a requirement, but for me it was one of those things where I figured that as long as I'm making the upgrade, I might as well install new lines. I've made the upgrade to stainless lines on all of my current (and previous) motorcycles as I find it makes a significant difference in how the brakes feel (to me) upon application.

I'm definitely a believer in the Galfer HH pads now since doing this upgrade. I intend to get a set for my GSXR when I next change out the OEM pads in the near future. Hope that helps!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL_Vstrom View Post
G’day Stromtroopers,

It took a few hours to do, but I must say that this brake upgrade was well worth the time. .....The new calipers/lines/pads have a lot more feel than the old ones, and they require significantly less lever pressure to get things slowed down. I wouldn’t say they feel as awesome as the brakes on my GSXR, but I do have a lot more confidence in the front brakes now than I did before ........The Nissin and Tokico calipers are almost identical, but the Nissin ones have 1mm larger pistons in them for (potentially) more clamping force.

Here’s the cost breakdown for anyone interested:

2002 CBR600F4i calipers: $64.99 shipped from a vendor on eBay.
SVRacing relocation brackets: $75
Galfer HH sintered brake pads for both calipers: $70
Double Banjo bleeder for master cylinder: $19.95
Galfer SS +2 lines: $89.95
Total: $319.89

I highly recommend doing this upgrade for anyone with a V-Strom .

Cheers,
-Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL_Vstrom View Post
.....I'm definitely a believer in the Galfer HH pads now since doing this upgrade. I intend to get a set for my GSXR when I next change out the OEM pads in the near future. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the detailed write up. I'm planning on doing this upgrade in the future. I almost did it last year but held off due to "other" expenses.

I upgraded from the stock to Galfer HH pads in the rear to test them out before popping $70 for the fronts. I'm a little mixed on the rears, they work OK once up to temperature but they lack bite when cold. Has anybody compared them to the EBC HH pads?

I've done the SS line upgrade front and rear and it certainly helps, like it does on all bikes that don't have braided lines.

The stock brakes are "OK" for solo riding but when I ride two up I'd like more braking.
95 KTM MXC300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement