Where did my shift lever go? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Where did my shift lever go?

Yes the Vee is a true value, it's a blast to ride. Let me start by saying my bike is out of warranty, it's an 05 with 2,200 miles on the clock, I bought it a couple of months back with 800 miles on the odometer! The bike looks showroom new and runs well, excepting the injection issue between 3-4k. Yesterday I went to change gears leaving a stop sign and my foot went to the pavement the shifter had vibrated free of bracket , no thread locking compound! The shifter is now safely back on the bike minus the first couple of threads in the bracket, they died when the lever broke free of the bracket. I am still elated with the bike, mine is black and I think it looks great, looks are subjective. If you haven't checked your shifter lately you might want to.

Last edited by Mbradley; 01-07-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same thing, I think, happen to my 04 Wee. Got off the freeway and after the stop sign I was in first gear for the next 3 miles until I got home. The pivot bolt had undone itself. i just tightened it back up. Beware the use of f-ing locktite.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to his 03.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Moderator++

Suzy used thread locker on my '07 Wee. I'd recommend seing if it is easy to break free and using blue Loctite if it does.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
$tromtrooper

ha ha.......had the same thing happen to my SV1000S about 30 minutes after I sold it to the new owner. They called me from the side of the interstate..........
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Blue Loc-Tite

Grey Wolf, I definitely used the blue Loc-Tite on my bolt, I don't need that happening a second time, for those who may want to know, just in case threads need chasing you are looking at a # 10 in 1.25 thread. I simply ran a bolt back through from the opposite side of the footpeg bracket to clean up the threads, as I mentioned I am missing a few threads. I don't want to pay a dealer for a replacement bracket.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Touratech to the rescue

This is the first thing I addressed. This is the ONLY TouraTech item I own.
Folding Shift Lever, Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 - Touratech-USA They also have them for the 650. Yes it is a bit pricey but at the time, 3 yrs 30K miles ago, it is the only one I could find. Gets rid of all that linkage to lube and adjust. JMHO.
Best of luck
~James
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvisions View Post
This is the first thing I addressed. This is the ONLY TouraTech item I own.
Folding Shift Lever, Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 - Touratech-USA They also have them for the 650. Yes it is a bit pricey but at the time, 3 yrs 30K miles ago, it is the only one I could find. Gets rid of all that linkage to lube and adjust. JMHO.
Best of luck
~James

After dealing with the same kind of linkage/sticky shifting/clean the pivot point issues and shift linkage falling off on the highway on the Kawi I had before the Vee, I jumped and got this at the first opportunity. HIGHLY recommended.
Mod list - Oxford heated overgrips. Garmin GPS w/Aquabox RAM mount. Mirror extenders. Givi V35 saddlebags, engine guards, and Kappa top box. Adventure Tech fork brace, wheel spacer, sidestand foot, and peg lowering kit. Gafler braided front brake & clutch lines. K&N air filter. Pyramid Fenda Extenda. GO Cruise throttle lock. Touratech folding shift lever. Rad guard. GSXR 4 piston brakes with SV Racing brackets. Yosh timing cover. SW Motech center stand and crossbar. Eastern Beaver headlight relay. 12 O'Clock Labs Speedo DRD. Werks clutch basket. Corbin seat.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

My HD Shovelhead used to rattle parts off all the time. One year I rode home from Daytona with a pair of Vise-Grips for a shift lever. It wasn't that bad...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Shifter Replacement

Guys, thanks for the heads up on this shifter replacement, I can't understand the thought process behind the original complicated design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.