Missed shifts when going from 2nd to 3rd - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Missed shifts when going from 2nd to 3rd

I bought this 2003 DL1000 back in May. About 25 to 30 percent of the time the transmission misses a shift from 2nd up into 3rd gear. I can't for the life of me figure out why this keeps happening...The chain has the proper tension and everything else looks to be normal...
Does anyone have any idea why this happens and how to fix it?

Last edited by Gregstrom; 12-10-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Gregstrom, the 1-2 shift gets some attention as it can be a bit rough and "missed" on occasion. I don't hear about the 2-3 shift so I don't have any answer that is much help beyond telling you to make sure the linkage is tight and adjusted properly. It can make a big difference in shifting, along with learning to "preload" the shift by putting some pressure on the shift lever just before you disengage the clutch for the shift. Makes a more positive shift lever movement. If you don't hear bad noises when it shifts and it doesn't pop out once engaged it MIGHT just be adjustment and shifting habits that could cure it...

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Gregstrom, the 1-2 shift gets some attention as it can be a bit rough and "missed" on occasion. I don't hear about the 2-3 shift so I don't have any answer that is much help beyond telling you to make sure the linkage is tight and adjusted properly. It can make a big difference in shifting, along with learning to "preload" the shift by putting some pressure on the shift lever just before you disengage the clutch for the shift. Makes a more positive shift lever movement. If you don't hear bad noises when it shifts and it doesn't pop out once engaged it MIGHT just be adjustment and shifting habits that could cure it...
Thanks.....would you happen to have a link to anything that tells how to adjust the linkage?.... I looked at the linkage and all the hardware is tight (no loose nuts, etc..).....Maybe there is a tutorial out there that shows how to adjust the linkage for varying reasons.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Gregstrom, maybe someone else can point out a post or something where there are pictures and such that will show how others have done it.

But I don't think it is something that needs too much technical input. Basically I would want to lower the shift lever slightly at the front where your foot lifts on it. That would make your upshifts a bit more positive if you are not firmly lifting the lever thru its range of travel where it sits now. It can make a BIG difference just changing the position slightly.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Also, try holding the upward pressure just a moment longer. This isn't a harder or quicker shift, just a shift of longer duration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement