Possible new Stromer - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Possible new Stromer

Howdy!

I'm looking at trading in my 2000 R1 for a 2012 DL1000 L2.

Basically i'm after more comfort solo. More comfort 2-up, and Off road ability

I took the 2012 DL650 ABS for a test ride and loved it except for the lack of punch, but i'm hoping the Vee will cover that (i know it wont be endless power on tap like my R1)

I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy on as a local dealer is offering a Vee on road with 47ltr top box, top loading panniers, crash bars on road for just under AU$13K

My only worry is height, i'm 172cm tall and can flat foot my R1 which has a 815 mm (32.1 in) seat height. but the Vee I can only tippy toe. I fear i wont be able to walk the bike on my tippy toes for parking, plus keeping it stable while getting a pillion on/off, also my driveway is quite the incline could be interesting dismounting on a hill?

The local dealer has told me that the DL650 seats don't fit the new 2012 DL1000. So there goes that idea to lower her. I haven't checked to see if it still has the seat rubber underneath that i could trim but i don't think that will lower it enough?????

I know there are always lowering links but as I want to ride off road i am worried about clearance, especially because some of that off road will be 2up(nothing crazy just state forest roads).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As the height is the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger on a purchase.

TLDR: Love the Vee, Wanna buy, Worried about height, recommendations?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I say buy it and try it. If its an issue then lower it. You want clearnace but you have t fold somewhere, that cake and eat it to thing. Good luck w/ it- I'm sure you'll be happy if you make the decision it sounds like you've already made

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If putting your feet down is an issue on pavement, it will be hell off road.
Also dismounting with panniers may be difficult if you are worrying about hieght issues. I'm tall, & my panniers / cases can get in the way when dismounting after a long ride
I think you can adjust to it, especially if you are an experienced rider.
I LOVE my Vee !!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Anyone able to confirm if the 2012 DL1000 L2 wont fit the 650 seats??

or possibly a low narrow aftermarket seat?

All the ones I find stop at 2010 models.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a (barely) 30" inseam (76.2 cm) and I ride my 2012 DL650 off-road (nothing extreme). I one foot any stop i come to. Backing up can sometimes be a problem, especially on a hill, so honestly, I've just trained myself not to park on a hill unless it is facing forward. (we dont' have big hills here). I love my Glee...love it love it love it..even though i can only reach with 1 foot.

I was unaware that the Vee was any taller than the Glee....so if you can ride the Glee, you should be fine on the Vee. I could be wrong though..

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

2012 Vstrom 650 (current)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Moderator++

Plug in both bikes at Motorcycle Ergonomics to check. The Vee seat is 0.6" higher than the Glee seat and a bit wider. The 2012 Vee is the same as the previous years.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

@greywolf that website is awesome.

I'm looking at a lowering of .9" to get the same seat height as my R1.

I think I might try shaving the stock seat down that should give me what I need.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
$tromtrooper

I think you will find that the dealer is wrong and that the seat from a 2011 or earlier Wee WILL fit a 2012 Vee. He might be getting confused with the 2012 Wee which had significant changes.

Failing that, you might like to consider a Sargent seat which drops the seat noticeably (just over $500 to get a new one shipped to Australia, I like mine).

As for "All the ones I find stop at 2010 models", I usually find that this is just that many businesses do not bother to update their websites regularly. There have been minor changes over the years to both models of Vstroms but nothing that would affect seat interchangeability (other than the big update to the Wee that occurred in 2012).

I'm 185cm tall but I still one-foot it at stops, rather than trying to splay my legs around the bike. The width is as significant as the height in this respect.

If something I have posted offends you, it is highly likely I was drunk when posting it. Sorry.

Buffeting, chuddering and wheezing my way across Canberra.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks @ Strange_Dog
I think i will just wait till i find someone with a wee and see if they will let me test out there seat

anyone know if these lowering links would be any good?

Suzuki V-STROM Fully Adjustable Lowering Links DL DL650 DL1000 VStrom | eBay
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM
$tromtrooper

Default short legs

I've got a 29inch inseam and sometimes struggle with my Vee. My Sargent seat helps me reach the ground better than stock. The bulk and stiffness of my Aerostich RC suit also makes it difficult to get on. Consider how the bikes fits you when fully dressed in crash gear. If it's difficult for you on pavement it's will be impossible on rough ground. Trying to back up on rough ground with short legs combined with restricted visibility wearing a full coverage helmet will be a challenge.

States and Provinces I've visited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement