Fueling issues in different gears??. - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default 07 fueling issues

Hello out there hate to jump in here but my 07 does the exact same things, 30k miles. It is on to some very strange behavior lately though. Just rode down to Homestead/Miami from Akron Oh. for the last nascar race what a trip. we did 3000 miles in 6 days, anyhow the bike ran great except when we had to stop for gas after running at about 80 for 2 hours straight. It would die out completely, I had to keep the r's up over 4000 to keep it going. It smokes black like super rich condition. Needless to say it is very difficult to ride that way. It would eventually come out of it and run normal until the next sudden stop, then it would start all over again. I dont know if it is heat related because the farther north we got it quit doing it cause the temps were in the 40's. Any one have some suggestions? Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
Yes it is getting worse as the miles pile up,and yes I have the clutch chudder ( I have had it for more than 30,000 miles ).Can you use the TRE and a PC ??.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
You can use both. I have both installed. The PC helped a lot and the TRE seemed to add a little pep but I don't think it necessary.
Although I only have 4k on the bike I think I am in the beginning stages of chudder. I plan to remove the basket this winter and send it off for a re-build.
The PC came with a pre-programmed map that made the bike run great, much better than stock. However I plan to take it to a local tuner and get a custom dyno tune.
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertk View Post
Hello out there hate to jump in here but my 07 does the exact same things, 30k miles. It is on to some very strange behavior lately though. Just rode down to Homestead/Miami from Akron Oh. for the last nascar race what a trip. we did 3000 miles in 6 days, anyhow the bike ran great except when we had to stop for gas after running at about 80 for 2 hours straight. It would die out completely, I had to keep the r's up over 4000 to keep it going. It smokes black like super rich condition. Needless to say it is very difficult to ride that way. It would eventually come out of it and run normal until the next sudden stop, then it would start all over again. I dont know if it is heat related because the farther north we got it quit doing it cause the temps were in the 40's. Any one have some suggestions? Thanks
The first thing I would do is put the bike in dealer diagnostic mode (a search will give you the steps) then check the TPS settings. If off like mine were a readjust "may" fix it. Or a new TPS is possible. My readjust has lasted for 20,000 miles now.

The are other easy things to check like the Throttle body boots but sounds like TPS to me.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
But finding a yosh box is difficult,anybody know who has one in the Seattle area !!.
i did the yosh box fix. worked ok for me but, i lost 6 mpg. that is one reason i went back to pure stock ECU. its just so much easier and less expensive for me to simply change the way i ride the vee. now my yearly average mpg is over 46 mpg. see fuelly link below. g-luck & ride safe.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Do you loose as many mpg's with a PC on a 100% stock bike ??.
I commute everyday and loosing that many mpg's would not work !!!.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM
$tromtrooper

Yes, I did lose mpg based on the map that was loaded onto the PC-V for my bike. The consumption occurs in the lower revs mostly because that it where it is too lean. I plan to take it into consideration when I have it dyno'd.
It's going to be hard to have it both ways, good milage and performance. I'll just have to find a compromise but will never go back to the rediculous stock set-up that meets EPA regulations.
The other reason for more consumption after the PC is what can be called the wow factor. It is just so much better that you can't help it. LOL!
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

The bike runs like crap because its lean. There is no way to have your cake and eat it too unless you buy a wee which has a more modern engine head design.

Yosh or fuel controller are both dumping more fuel into the bike in the sweet spot rpm where you ride a lot.

I lost around 3 or 4 mpg and would never consider stock mapping. Lean is bad for an engine in other ways unless designed that way from the get go. My Vee would ping under load at throttle roll on before mapping. NOT GOOD.

There is always mopeds.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't mind loosing up to 10%....

Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default 07 issues

Hey Scott E Bonds, Thanks for the reply. Will do alittle research on here and see what it does. I rode it to work the last couple of days and it ran fine the only time it does it is on really long run the tank out runs. It has always had the typical 2800/3000 stumble , but I've learned to keep it out of that range so that isn't a problem. Will keep ya posted thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

For what its worth if you decide to buy a PC; I recently when on the search and bought a PC. In the process, I found the PCIII is/was out of stock everywhere and were on backorder. Word on the Streets it that Power Commander is not making more of them and is moving on to the V's for whatever reason-i.e. EPA. So, I had to get a PCV for my K2 Vee- which Power Commander doesn't directly offer. I went through Fuelmotousa.com for mine. They sell a retrofit- and also offer fantastic support. Since my purchase I have gotton 3 new maps made by their tech department (needed after mods were made.) They also have are set up where you can run your PCV and then upload your mad tables to them where they can tweak a map for your trouble areas. So far so good and I have been very happy with the results afterwards. Just my .02 worth.

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement