When should the fan come on (VEE) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Default When should the fan come on (VEE)

Hi,

When should the cooling fan come on? Three temperature bars? Four? Halfway between three and four ?

Also, is it something I would hear while wearing earplugs at idle?

I just don't think I have ever heard the fan come on (but I also don't think I have ever seen four bars either).

The Wee has different temperature characteristics, I don't need to know about Wee experiences.

If something I have posted offends you, it is highly likely I was drunk when posting it. Sorry.

Buffeting, chuddering and wheezing my way across Canberra.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

4 bars I think. I know I've seen mine at 3 in traffic and don't recall hearing the fan. I do think the fan is rather quiet though, as I have turned it on manually when going slowly through very muddy places on hot and humid days. I only did that as a precautionary measure, Not for any other reason than because I could. Actually come to think of it I don't know if I have ever seen it hit 4 bars, even in many similar muddy places when I didn't turn the fan on manually.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Wingnut... you can turn the fan on manually? How? I'd like to know, because my bike runs rather hot (3-4 bars idling after being ridden for 15+ minutes).

I've generally noticed my fan turning on between 3 and 4 bars, right before it jumps up to 4.

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Moderator++

The fan on a Vee should come on shortly after three bars appear. If four bars appear, something is wrong.

The Vee's fan turns on at approximately 105 degrees C and turns off at about 100 degrees C. Three bars show on the gauge from 100C to 111C.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've only noticed mine come on when I'm stopped at a light on a very hot day. On those occasions I've felt the warm air flowing along the left side of the engine. It's probably coming on other times, but I don't know how you could tell if you were under way.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes I can. It's easy just run a switch that bridges the two wires from the sensor on the radiator. I did it for two reasons. First is because my other bike is a TL1000, they are know to feel very hot especially in traffic. Many owners of those bikes either go for a manual switch to turn it on early or the get a sensor from a geo metro to automatically turn them on earlier. So when I got the Vee I didn't know if I'd be suffering in the same way. The joke on TL forums is TLR stands for testicles lightly roasted or seared if it were a TLS. The second reason is I was bored so I wired in a switch to pop them on when I wanted. It's nice to have but I rarely use it. I think I've used it less than 10 times (maybe even less than 5 times) in the 3 years I've had the bike.

Last edited by wingnut11; 11-27-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: More specific about fan switch use
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The fan on a Vee should come on shortly after three bars appear. If four bars appear, something is wrong.

The Vee's fan turns on at approximately 105 degrees C and turns off at about 100 degrees C. Three bars show on the gauge from 100C to 111C.
Greywolf- I've had my Vee for 15 months now, and it has regularly hit 4 bars when idling in traffic (especially in the Cali summertime). It can stay at 4 bars for a while, sometimes the fan is able to get it to 3 before I get moving again. Sometimes it will stay at 3 no matter how quickly I'm moving, but usually it drops back down to 2. I've never had an issue (save for the radiator hose coming loose and leaking some fluid onto my foot)- should I be worried?

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Moderator++

Your bike falls outside the normal parameters. Four bars means 112C-119C. I would get a laser thermometer to check if I were you but you'll probably never have a problem. Checking would let you know if the temperature is out of range or the sensor is malfunctioning. A check with a flashlight to make sure the radiator is not clogged and a look inside the radiator to make sure it isn't coated with gunk is probably the minimum that should be done.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ok, I'll do that. I've NEVER seen any bubbling in the coolant or anything at all. The bike starts to smell and feel really hot when it gets up to 4 bars, but that's about it. Thank you.

-ShortOnSkill

-greywolf
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Dog View Post
Hi,
1.) When should the cooling fan come on?
Three temperature bars? Four? Halfway between three and four ?

2.) Also, is it something I would hear while wearing earplugs at idle?

3.) I just don't think I have ever heard the fan come on (but I also don't think I have ever seen four bars either).

4.) The Wee has different temperature characteristics, I don't need to know about Wee experiences.
1.) Per the shop manual - Fan on: 105c (221F). Fan off: 100c (212F)

2.) Impossible to hear it run with the engine running. Easy to hear fan run with key on but engine stopped.

3.) As greywolf said.

4.) Agreed! The only thing a Wee has in common with a Vee is that they look alike from 30 meters, in the fog, if you cover one eye.

Strange Dog,
I have tolerated every conceivable malfunction a Vee could have (including heat issues).
I (like a few others here) have installed a fan override switch on my console that allows me to run the fan at will, (not very useful).
I also installed two small LED lamps next to that switch which are very useful...
There is an amber LED illuminates if I turn the switch on and run the fan in a forced-on mode... And a red LED will illuminate if the fan is running because the stock thermo sensor turned it on.

To See the LEDs and Hear a Vee fan running, click on this Youtube link: DL1000K6 Fan - YouTube

Regards,
-Ej-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement