When should the fan come on (VEE) - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

good evening electljake,

what is the other swicth for???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaronman View Post
good evening electljake,

what is the other swicth for??
O.K., I'll tell ya' but keep it a secret.
It's one of those "must-have" gadgets that I run on all my bikes!
Here's the link to your answer...
WhatDeer - YouTube
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

mmmmm ok,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
1.)
2.) Impossible to hear it run with the engine running. Easy to hear fan run with key on but engine [u]stopped[/u
-Ej-

I would suggest that your hearing is damaged, the fan is very audible
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I would suggest that your hearing is damaged, the fan is very audible
Hi randyo,
PLEASE SPEAK UP, I DIDN'T QUITE HEAR YOU. SOMETHING ABOUT A FAN?
-Ej-
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Electrojake (or anyone), is there any other good way to install a fan swithch other than splicing into the thermastatic sensor wiring and soldering in wires? I think I have the correct sensor mentioned. I have gotton to the part before where you do the paper clip jumper trick to turn on the fan. But, I just don't know how well I trust my soldering skills for doing this job. What I would really like to do is un-do the plug and find another plug to put in line with everything and then run that to my toggle switch. I assume plug & play is out of the question..

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1000 View Post
Electrojake (or anyone), is there any other good way to install a fan swithch other than splicing into the thermastatic sensor wiring and soldering in wires?
Wiring on the Vee is (at least to me) a somewhat bigger PITA than on most bikes.
That's especially true if you have crash bars installed as I do.

Anyway...
I have a schematic of the mod I did to my Vee (as shown in the Fan video). I can snap a photo and post it but...
In hindsight I don't really feel the fan switch was helpful.
What WAS helpful was the red LED I installed that shows me when the fan is running.
My bike runs great all winter but has issues in the hot summer weather so I like to know when the fan is running.
And no, with a full helmet and ear plugs I can NOT hear the fan, so the LED lamp is nice to have.

Other Vee cooling info:
An Australian company called Tridon makes a thermo fan switch for the Vee that is slightly cooler that the stock unit. Your fan will cycle on/off sooner while riding.
Don't be confused by people that run GeoMetro or Suzuki automobile thermo switches. They cycle much too soon (too cool). The Tridon part is what you really want.

The stock DL1000 fan switch on/off temp: 105c - 100c, (221F-212F).
Common replacement P/N: TS306, 95C - 90C (203F - 194F) too cold
Tridon P/N: TFS158, on/off Temp: 100C - 95C (212F - 203F) just right

Running the fan excessively will not cause the bike to run too cold, ever.
What it will do is cause an excessive (and unnecessary) load on the bikes electrical system.
The cooling fan is a power hog. Probably the most power hungry item on your entire bike, including driving lights and/or heated clothing.

Soldering skills?
The ideal bike connection is a solder joint covered by thermo shrink tubing.
I'm lazy. I usually use Thomas & Betts (or Panduit) Sta-Kon butt splice & crimper tool, covered by Scotch 33 electrical tape.
No it aint pretty but if done correctly, it'll last forever.
Just sayin.

Oh geez, I almost forgot!
To run a cooler fan thermo sensor and an LED indicator, it is NOT necessary to hack into the stock harness.
Perhaps you might want to re-think this before you start cutting.
Regards,
-Ej-
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good reading, thanks for the info EJ. I like the idea of a different more temp sensitive sensor. But i think I like the manual switch and LED light even better. That seems like a nice perk- to know when the fan is actually running. Of course, being able to manually activate the fan would also be nice for those oh Sh-t moments when the bars rise high on the dash. I also like the idea of a little led that comes on here and there- an extra little bell/whistle is always fun to.

SO in the ither links you posted in this thread there are video links with instructions on how to do the LED job? And, last question, what is the trick for not cutting the factory wires while getting tapped in line with the temp sensor in such a way that still keeps it connected to activate on its own or manually? I just can't envision how to do it w/out getting my hands on a connector that would plug in line with the factory connector to the sensor with an extra outlet to run the new switch off of..

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1000 View Post
Good reading, thanks for the info EJ.
I like the idea of a different more temp sensitive sensor. But i think I like the manual switch and LED light even better.

SO in the either links you posted in this thread there are video links with instructions on how to do the LED job?

What is the trick for not cutting the factory wires while getting tapped in line with the temp sensor in such a way that still keeps it connected to activate on its own or manually?
A couple of items...
I was actually hoping to talk you out of installing a fan switch.
The most predictable & reliable state of any machine is always "stock".
My tricked-out Jeep TJ is the poster child for this theory.

Anyway....
There is no video that shows this mod.
There is no way to do it without hacking into the harness.
There is not really enough room under the right fairing to do the double-connector trick you spoke of, however Eastern Beaver makes a similar device for killing your second headlight on a motorcycle thus proving that your double connector concept is indeed a good one.
I am in the process of trying to locate a source of Vee fan switch connectors and sockets but am having no luck as of yet... http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...connector.html
So, if you don't mind hacking into a harness for which there are no replacement connectors available, I can whip up a quick hand drawn schematic and post it.

BTW: There is no elegant way to add this much copper & plastic to your harness. Once you start hacking and adding to your bike its, well... no longer a virgin and there is no way to go back.
Kind of like getting a tattoo.

If you really want to do surgery, and you are new at this stuff, (I'm assuming you are), then your life will be a lot simpler (and cheaper) if I assemble a fan switch kit and send it to you via a PM.
The components I use are harsh environment/high-end, not Radio Shack crap.
Just sayin'
Think it over.
Regards,
-Ej-
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default When should the fan come on (VEE)

When should the fan come on (VEE) ?

never, if yer always moving 25mph or faster, it will never come on

I'm actually surprised how often it does come on, my old SV650, in 135,000 miles it only came on 3 times and I can tell you exactly where I was at the time, first time it freaked me out, 38k on bike already, and a new noise

my Vee, only 70k and I've heard the fan a half dozen times, guess I'm slowing down in my old age
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement