Stalling after 1 hour ride - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM
$tromtrooper

Default Stalling after 1 hour ride

Hi Guys,

I've had my Vee for 8 months now and apart from the usual clutch niggles I have had no issues...until today.

I went for a 1 hour ride in the country side, mostly in top gear/overdrive averaging about 120km/h (75mph) and when I reached my destination and slowed down to look for a parking spot the engine died. I started it up again and then it died again. This was while I was drifting down the main street of a country town. I repeated the process a few more times before I decided that I couldnt risk being stranded miles from home and did a u-turn and headed back home immediately (no country lunch for me ) .

While running along at my usual 3200+ rpm the bike was running fine. Eventually I made it back to the suburbs and with the usual traffic lights and stop signs the issue became a lot more problematic. I had to keep revving the engine to keep it alive which was no easy feat. The Ducati owner next to me at one set of lights must have thought I was challenging him to a drag as I sat there revving the guts out of my motor.

I finally got home after having ridden around for about 5 minutes of riding gently in no gear higher than third. Pulled up on my driveway and the engine died again. I managed to start it again but I had to give it some throttle just to keep it alive. I let it die again and sat on my porch for 15 minutes wondering how much it would cost me to trade the Vee in for a Wee.

Then I decided to go buy some lunch and what do you know, the bike is running perfectly again. I tried everything I could to get the engine to die again but I couldnt even get it to hiccup. Revved it up to 4000 rpm and then released the throttle and it just dropped down into a nice idle like usual.

I have gone on rides a lot longer than the one I did today with absolutely no issues, but this is the first real warm day that I have gone riding "long distance". I have a strong feeling it has something to do with the warmer weather, the prolonged use of overdrive or a combination of the two.

The bike is a completely stock 2008 Vee and has never had any of the "lean" issues that many others complain about. I ride it everyday in all weather and have had no problems.

If something I have posted offends you, it is highly likely I was drunk when posting it. Sorry.

Buffeting, chuddering and wheezing my way across Canberra.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'd try clean out the tank and fuel lines... could be some gunk in there was choking off supply just a little...

Just a thought

Talent hits the target no one else can hit. Genius hits the target no one else can see.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like TPS issue.

Next time this happens, kill the motor but leave the key on. Twist the throttle full open/fullly closed about 4-6 times, then restart. If it clears up, replace your TPS, or just repeat whenever it happens again.
2005 DRZ400
2005 KDX220R
2007 DLK
2009 KLR650

Last edited by tiller4me; 11-24-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 AM
$tromtrooper

TPS and or throttle boots

TPS is just a stupid potentiometer (cheap) and if the wiped area either gets worn or dirty the ECU gets a bad signal
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Dog View Post
Hi Guys,
...I let it die again and sat on my porch for 15 minutes wondering how much it would cost me to trade the Vee in for a Wee.
Then I decided to go buy some lunch and what do you know, the bike is running perfectly again.

...but this is the first real warm day that I have gone riding "long distance". I have a strong feeling it has something to do with the warmer weather, the prolonged use of overdrive or a combination of the two.

The bike is a completely stock 2008 Vee and has never had any of the "lean" issues that many others complain about.
Greetings Strange Dog,
You post brought a smile to my face. It's not that I wish you any hard times but I went through the same thing about a year or two ago.
Had to replace the (lower) Throttle Position Sensor.
Suzuki P/N:13580-02F00.
Side note: My Vee also runs perfect in the cold weather yet poorly in the hot. Changed every sensor known to man, but still...

Back on topic...
I came to Stromtrooper with a similar tale of woe and got this same answer as you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiller4me View Post
Sounds like TPS issue.
Here is a post with a few pics: SSYSO Forum

And this is an entire Stromtrooper thread, but there are several others here too: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...solutions.html

If you're ever looking for instant info without all my blab-blab-blab, simply search Throttle Position Sensor and put "greywolf" in the User Name box.
That man gets straight to the point on every issue!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

TPS TPS TPS. Or it could be the TPS.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth_moore View Post
TPS TPS TPS. Or it could be the TPS.
I'm still a little lost. So you're saying it's the TPS?!?!

Pain is weakness leaving the body!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Dog,
Invest in a number seven (7). About $75.00 US
When you replace it, make sure the old internal rubber bushing comes out and the new goes in. Just sayin'
And another issue...
Once you replace the lower TPS, you will have to properly adjust it. I'll try and link to the thread w/the procedure.

Also, if you have a bit of scientist in you, you'll enjoy a look at these photos of the part you will be changing...
Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?) - Page 25 - Sportbikes.net

-Ej-
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 AM
$tromtrooper

Thank you for all your responses guys. Looks like I have a bit of reading ahead of me followed by some grazed knuckles

You've put my mind at ease.

If something I have posted offends you, it is highly likely I was drunk when posting it. Sorry.

Buffeting, chuddering and wheezing my way across Canberra.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't forget to p/up a set of security torx bits if you haven't already.. I think you'll find this is really a pretty simple job to do and be pleased with the results.. I read a good many times about this happening. And its not just on our bikes. In the BMW world of fanciness they are plagued by bad Hall Effect Sensors going bad,, Expensive little buggers too.

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement