Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Unhappy Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings

I test rode a dl1000 today.
I loved the torque, the sound and think I could get to like the seating position.
Unfortunately I returned the bike to the dealer telling them I couldn't buy a bike that behaved as this one did.
At 40mph, in 3rd I think, it was doing about 4000rpm and whilst holding the throttle as steady as I could it was surging constantly.
About twice a second it was pulsing to such an extent it would do my back in if I had to ride any distance like that. Visibly altering the rev counter by 100 - 200 rpm.
Does any one know why this could be?

On returning the bike they suggested it may be due to the worn chain and sprocket which they'll replace shortly. But they'd investigate it further.

I also found the front brake very spongy, though my current bike (diversion 900) had braided lines, so perhaps I'm overly sensitive to this. It was set at "2". They changed it to 4 at which point I could draw the lever to the bar! Then to 1 which felt a little more familiar.

It is an 07 model with 16,000 on the clock.
I'm disappointed as I really liked this bike and it was the grand touring version with luggage, centre stand and all.
I hope they can sort it.

Didn't have any chatter noises from the clutch which seemed promising after some of the concerns I've read on here.

Any advice much appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Glitch

From what I understand, the 3500 rpm glitch is common. I had the same problem with my 08 V. The previous owner put Two Bros slip ons on it and a K&N filter which made it worse. I installed a Power Commander and it not only fixed the issue but made it the best riding bike I have ever had.

The brakes on my V have never felt bad to me. I wouldn't say they are the most powerful brakes I have used but they are adequate. Could be an issue with that one bike.

Over all I think the V is the best adventure bike for the money. You can always get more if you spend more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think what you are talking about is the common surging issue. I noticed mine in 6th at 3700 RPM. Most will say get a yosh box flash or a Power commander, I used a Cobra Fi2000 and it took care of it right away and it hasn't come back. Hope this helps and the brake lines are probably in need of replacement as I know mine are, come here christmas money
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2012 Vee does NOT like to run under 3000 rpm no matter which gear it is in.

I've got about 7300 miles on mine now. Looking to install a power commander over the winter which should solve the problem.

Otherwise, this is a great bike for the price.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default powercommander

are you telling me I need to fork out 280 on a power commander to make it ride in a seine manner?
will this not also spoil the fuel economy?

I thought they fixed the ECU in the later years?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2012 still suffers from the same problem.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Somewhere in the Smokies and sometimes in Costa Rica

My K7 runs like a top. 16T front sprocket only change. Love this ride.

K7 DL 1000
94 CB 1000 "Big One"
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasersage View Post
are you telling me I need to fork out 280 on a power commander to make it ride in a seine manner?
will this not also spoil the fuel economy?

I thought they fixed the ECU in the later years?
It's a used bike, no telling what is off as it sits and you rode it. Not knowing the reputation of the dealer you are visiting, but in my experience, most dealers are lazy for trade-in's: just make sure oil level is in the window, there is some air in the tires and the most of their effort goes into having the least paid person there wipe it with polish.
  • They suspect the chain/sprockets are worn, if there are kinked sections or it's out of adjustment and worn as well, it will ride like it's an antique crap pile.
  • Did they verify fuel injectors are synchronized?
  • Did they verify the rear fuel injector is still fully seated within the rear cylinder head boot? They can pop out if the clamp isn't tight and the bike has had an intake hiccup. I'll bet the dealer's not even aware of this sort of issue.
  • Do they know for fact whether the airfilter was ever replaced as prescribed in the owners manual? When was the last time it was inspected and the bugs and bits brushed away? Do they know for certain the airbox is properly seated, bottom to top with the airfilter gasket?
That's the quick easy list. I bought a stock 2006 from the original owner last year and even as meticulously as he cared for it, I found the sync to be out a bit and the rear injector loose in the mounting boot. I fixed those, a nice improvement in overall smoothness and there was no surging as you describe.

I did add a Power Commander and devised my own map based on other maps I studied for the Vee and maps I had created for past bikes like the 954RR Blade, Hayabusa and ZX12R. It runs absolutely tip-top and my fuel economy is still a true 39-41mpg in the city, with healthy applications of throttle.

I also went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. As delivered from the factory, it's not unlike the long legged gearing of a Hayabusa, fairly absurd on a bike with 1/2 the power. This alone made a very noticeable change in how the bike performed and in reality, I would go up 3 in back without hesitation the next time.

So, really, you need to evaluate the bike as it sits and try to determine whether what you experienced is due primarily due to maintenance issues and how much better would it be once these things are addressed.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
$tromtrooper

My K10 was a pig at low revs. Power commander made it the bike it should have been.

Buy the Power Commander V from the US. 280 dollars not 280 pounds. Even with shipping you'll save a fortune. 175 quid or so from Blair at SV Racing Parts.

It pissed me off I had to spend anything on the issue when Suzuki should have sorted it. However, you'll end up spending far more on optional farkles, and this is probably the best money I've spent on the bike so far. Add it to the purchase price and see if the deal still works for you. Don;t let it stop you buying the bike. You'll be missing out.

'10 Vee Adv
Multiple Farkles :
Stebel Horn with Screaming Banshee,Gorilla Alarm, Madstadt Bracket, RichlandRick's fork brace, accessory shelf and mirror extenders, PCV, Twin 12v outlets, Twisted Throttle and EB Fuse Blocks, Admore Light Bar, GPS and Contour Camera Ram Mount, Bark Busters, 8k HIDS, Omni-Cruise Throttle Lock, Altrider Bars, sliders and side-stand foot. Wolfman Rainier Tank Bag, ADVMonster "30" Aux Lights
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

i found thru my experience that the DL1 is not like the typical rice bike. iow's, due to the DL1 long legs and 6th. gear OverDrive, it took me a while to get used to it. but once i did, most of the problems just simply went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride