Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 9 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums  

Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The surge is common My 2004 1k did the same thing. It can be fixed easily with the Power Commander. A $300.00 fix more or less

Farkles? Sargent Seat, Genmar risers, K&N filter, cramp buster, heated grips, PCIII, Givi Engine Guards, Givi Hard Bags 52 liter and two 45 liter, Givi shield with spacers for buffeting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

So after reading all of this stuff about our beloved DL,I wonder if the OP is running away from OR towards the the big V ???.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
[B]Facebook[/B]..PNW Adventure Riders..[B]Facebook[/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I can say that, if, after riding the Vee, you have doubts then it's to much of a machine.

If you want refined, go with the Wee. The Wee is a better all around bike. If you want to tinker and ride something with brutal torque, go with the Vee.

Or do what I did... Get both!

" I like my Motorcycle's Loud and my Firearms Quiet." -Me
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

If I could find a NEW pre 2012 Wee I might trade in my V !!.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Last time I was out and about both local dealers still had new "old" style wees.

I guess I must be lucky, my Vee has been so trouble free its a definite keeper. The efi remap is a very common issue with the year range of my Vee with all manufactures bikes. The other problems I had I consider normal for the miles I have on the bike.

The clutch peeves me a little only because it rattles a little in neutral. But, crap the clutch has 80,000 miles on it and I have heard of no unmodded clutches grenading. So, I motor on in pursuit of 100,000 miles knowing full well if it farts, I will know how to fix it. If it blows up, I will kiss it, sell its remaining parts and go buy another two wheeled something.

Maybe a new Tenere.
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Our mega dealer ( where I bought my V ) closed and the other 2 semi local dealers don't have any.
Maybe I will find the bike of my dreams at the show this weekend !!!!.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
If I could find a NEW pre 2012 Wee I might trade in my V !!.
A chat with fellow Stromtrooper CanadianFZ6 http://www.stromtrooper.com/24498-canadianfz6.html and you'll be on a Wee very shortly.
He's a former Vee owner that was very frustrated with his tank so bought a Wee and has been happy ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Reaper View Post
I can say that, if, after riding the Vee, you have doubts then it's too much of a machine.

If you want refined, go with the Wee.
The Wee is a better all around bike. If you want to tinker and ride something with brutal torque, go with the Vee.

Or do what I did... Get both!
Outstanding! A Trooper that actually owns "both" (at the same time).
And wasn't it the Vee's crappy stall that almost got you squished?

A survival method I learned to use when on the Vee which I do NOT have to do on any other bike I've ever ridden is come to a full STOP in slow rolling traffic.
i.e., If I am slowing down in traffic at an intersection and just as I am about to stop, the light turns green and traffic in front of me starts to pull away...
When on the Vee I will always (uncomfortably) come to a full stop with feet on the ground and then re-take off again to catch up to traffic.
Yeah it's awkward but anything, even my brother-in-law's dressed Road King is more graceful (manageable?) than my Vee.

Can't quite put my finger on it but the accrual of all the Vee's low speed quirks makes it a machine that becomes tiring and stressful in traffic.
My Harley and GS both have their shortcomings but "stressful" is a category that is pretty much unique to the DL1000.

FWIW Roger, I'll betcha' your Wee sees a LOT more daily use than your Vee.
Just a guess.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
A chat with fellow Stromtrooper CanadianFZ6 http://www.stromtrooper.com/24498-canadianfz6.html and you'll be on a Wee very shortly.
He's a former Vee owner that was very frustrated with his tank so bought a Wee and has been happy ever since.

Outstanding! A Trooper that actually owns "both" (at the same time).
And wasn't it the Vee's crappy stall that almost got you squished?

A survival method I learned to use when on the Vee which I do NOT have to do on any other bike I've ever ridden is come to a full STOP in slow rolling traffic.
i.e., If I am slowing down in traffic at an intersection and just as I am about to stop, the light turns green and traffic in front of me starts to pull away...
When on the Vee I will always (uncomfortably) come to a full stop with feet on the ground and then re-take off again to catch up to traffic.
Yeah it's awkward but anything, even my brother-in-law's dressed Road King is more graceful (manageable?) than my Vee.

Can't quite put my finger on it but the accrual of all the Vee's low speed quirks makes it a machine that becomes tiring and stressful in traffic.
My Harley and GS both have their shortcomings but "stressful" is a category that is pretty much unique to the DL1000.

FWIW Roger, I'll betcha' your Wee sees a LOT more daily use than your Vee.
Just a guess.
Motorcycling shouldn't be stressful You either need to fix your Vee or throw it in the dump, or sell it to me for an amazing price
I done a few free mods to my Vee, & love it
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wow! Can't relate to the full stop vee dealy at all. That's one of many things I love about the vee. I'm never worn out after a ride like I am after riding the Valkyrie. Yes, it doesn't holdup as long as the wee at a stop but she holds up pretty well. I rarely have to touchdown unless traffic lights/cages warrent. Now the Valk is another story coming to a stop.

'07 honda shadow aero (sold)
'07 honda shadow sabre (sold)
'01 honda valkyrie (sold)
'07 kaw meanstreak (sold)
'01 honda shadow ace (sold)
'71 (?) honda z50 trail (first bike, wish i still had)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 PM
$tromtrooper

This is what "stressful" looks like.

Ask RR about it in his thread: Doh, CRASH! (pics)

A couple of items here...
I agree with you totally! It shouldn't be stressful.

I am by no means a master of roadcraft, but I have owned/ridden various bikes over the years and the Vee's combination of off-idle quirks can make for one hell of a stressful afternoon.

It's like this: An unusually hot day, Riding two-up, Get off the highway and hit some local traffic...
Yeah, a Vee under those conditions will certainly test a man's bikemanship.
After years of tinkering, not all but most of the "stress" has been worked out of my k6 Vee.
(I wont bore you with the list).

When I found out what happened to RR in the photo above I KNEW it happened on that damn Vee and not his Wee. That quirky bitch almost got him killed.
This is an old subject for me and I'm getting upset so I'll be a gentleman and step away from the keyboard before I blow a fuse.
-Ej-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy, dl1000, surging, test ride