Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 8 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I have heard of owners getting their dealer to tune the fuel with a Yosh box. But, that would not be paid for by Suzuki as it would be a violation of emissions laws. DADT type of thing with the dealer. I doubt if any rotors or more than a few stators have failed in the warranty period or even 2 or 3 years of ownership. Well beyond where a manufacturer feels generous. There were many clutch baskets replaced under warranty.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svman View Post
Something odd about adding a new spark plug off to the side of an exisitng four valve head. Centre plug, valve angle, piston crown and squish band (shape of the combustion chamber) would have taken years to develop to ensure reliability and durability in the old engine. That must have all gone out the window with the new extra plug in the corner arrangement.
Suzuki has a dual plug- 4 valve head on their M109R and C109 motors (109 C.I. v-twin) Since 2006. Obviously a big displacement difference but at least they have a reference.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I have heard of owners getting their dealer to tune the fuel with a Yosh box. But, that would not be paid for by Suzuki as it would be a violation of emissions laws. DADT type of thing with the dealer. I doubt if any rotors or more than a few stators have failed in the warranty period or even 2 or 3 years of ownership. Well beyond where a manufacturer feels generous. There were many clutch baskets replaced under warranty.
I tried to get them to cover the new stator 2 months out of warranty and got the "NO" followed by they "Have never heard of one failing before" answer,had to try !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
[B]Facebook[/B]..PNW Adventure Riders..[B]Facebook[/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
Has anyone had any of the big 3 problems ( clutch,FI or stator ) taken care of by Suzuki at no cost ???.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Some reports of them changing DL clutch baskets in the very early days. Owners only get to understand what it is by the warranty is up.

Some reports of ECU changes but were bad batch (or so owners were told). I don't know if there were ever any adjustments under warranty. Against the law in some parts.

Never read of a new stator under warranty. Tend not to fail in bikes early life but odds say a few must have.

Must add no direct experience my self. Have SV's but keep a keen eye out for clutches as SV has much the same issues I fix. Best I ever got was my second bikes supplying dealer willing to supply at cost even though it was over three years old to get me off his back.

Last edited by svman; 12-10-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
Suzuki has a dual plug- 4 valve head on their M109R and C109 motors (109 C.I. v-twin) Since 2006. Obviously a big displacement difference but at least they have a reference.
And the revised Wee, Gladius and last SV650's of course. Again an after thought rather than being included in the original design.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svman View Post
And the revised Wee, Gladius and last SV650's of course. Again an after thought rather than being included in the original design.
M109 is original design however I get your point.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
$tromtrooper

My bike went to the dealer because I thought the trip reset was broken

Embarrassingly it worked but took a literal 5 seconds to react rather than the 2

Anyway later I tried the now defunct loaner teka box only to discover it had been done already,

There would be no guarantee but if the dealer has a yosh box and if you brought it in for a tune up with the correct complaints and a wink and nod she probably will return smoother
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Teka quandary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post

Anyway later I tried the now defunct loaner teka box only to discover it had been done already,
richw, Your post caught my attention in a big way.
Two items here...

1.) To your knowledge, is there a "loaner" Teka Tuner floating around that exists but no longer functions?

2.) Be aware that plugging a Teka Tuner into your bike will only show you the settings of the last person that used the tuner, NOT what your particular bike is currently set at.

So richw, about that defunct Teka?
What can ya' tell me,
-Ej-
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
$tromtrooper

VSRI had a loaner

Something happened and they don't do it anymore

I did play the numbers but then returned it back to how I found it.

I can put along at 45 in 6th
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
VSRI had a loaner
Something happened and they don't do it anymore
I did play the numbers but then returned it back to how I found it.
I can put along at 45 in 6th
Understood. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride