Test rode a dl1000, mixed feelings - Page 7 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL1000 - 2002-2012

DL1000 - 2002-2012 For those bikes with two pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

So would it (the new motor) be worth waiting for? I do prefer the look of the old bike though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would not buy a new V until alot of others have bought them and reported back here,I'm guessing they did NOT address the FI and clutch issues..

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
$tromtrooper

I disagree

I think you will have O2 sensor closed loop FI system which should address the running issues. Chudder, if she's smooth running chudder will be minimized but not eliminated.

I own a Vstrom 80% for the FRAME, not the engine.

I wanted the blend of long legs and go any road. I pass a lot so the 1000.
Oh and cheap.. I got mine as a left over so 1/2 what a new one 1/3 of a BMW or KTM.

As the West and the USA in particular become insignificant there will remain only lip service to our EPA and market. If a bandaid gets the EPA off their back then thats that.

So if a 2013/14 still allows you to go long distance and go on any road, and be cheap compared to others then its a winner.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
I would not buy a new V until alot of others have bought them and reported back here,I'm guessing they did NOT address the FI and clutch issues..

Looks like the fueling issues have been addressed! It seems there will be a dual spark plug cylinder head on the new model. I would therefore assume all the throttle body plumbing and components have been changed as well. If they get it as good as the 2012 DL 650 fueling, well, they will sell well and have a lot of satisfied customers. Especially if they could commonly get fuel mileage approaching 50 mpg and range of well over 200 miles! No idea about the clutch yet. But most owners will spend a LOT more on the fueling issues on a Gen I Vee than they would to fix the clutch.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasersage View Post
I test rode a dl1000 today.
I loved the torque, the sound and think I could get to like the seating position.
Unfortunately I returned the bike to the dealer telling them I couldn't buy a bike that behaved as this one did.
Any advice much appreciated.
Well, I'll assume that at this point lasersage of Lancashire is long gone as we pound the last few nails in the Vee's coffin.
So yeah, I'll take it upon myself to post the closer here.
After several years of corrective therapy by the crew here at Stromtrooper I have reluctantly taken my meds and done the following...

1.) Front fork brace.

2.) Installed 3mm off-set shim in rear axle.

3.) Wind buffeting part one: Loose the stock mirrors for a set of Aprilia Tuono units.

4.) Wind buffeting part two: Install a Cee Bailey windscreen on a set of Madstad brackets.

5.) Replace any questionable sensors on the bike and do ALL the T-Body recalibration procedures before coming here and complaining about crappy running issues.
<yes, I got spanked>
and yes, I learned that a TPS can test good and be bad.
Sage advice from the wolf, "just change it and be done with it"

7.) Installed a re-werked clutch basket.
(chudder or no chudder, just do it and be done with ALL clutch issues forever!)

8.) Put the fueling bugs to sleep.
e.g. Build, buy, or steal a Yosh, Teka, or Power Commander device.
They work wonders. It's a game changer.

9.) Time bomb issues: I'm on my second stator. Only God knows when she'll fry again so it's literally a time bomb. <suggest a rabbits foot>

10.) I'm running my original fuel pump with 40+ thousand miles on it.
There are two options here. Simply install a new $700.00 fuel pump every 50,000 miles, or... go with the rabbits foot option mentioned in #9 above.

11.) Installed 16/43 gearing. This one is a personal preference.
For me it was a great improvement.

So lasersage, I have an 06 Vee (same as the 07 you rode) and I love the thing.
I think you should buy that 07 Vee and begin the journey from frustration to Nirvana.

Hello? lasersage?
Hey, where'd he go?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Starting Jan 1st ( unless I see a new bike at the show next weekend I can't live without ) I'm buying a PC followed by a modded clutch basket,After that comes a rear shock and pile up another 50,000 miles WITH a rabbits foot zipped tied to the bars !!!.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
Starting Jan 1st ( unless I see a new bike at the show next weekend I can't live without ) I'm buying a PC followed by a modded clutch basket,After that comes a rear shock and pile up another 50,000 miles WITH a rabbits foot zipped tied to the bars !!!.
LoneStrom,
You are indeed one of my favorite DL1000 posters, (um slanderers). Trust me Sir, I'm with ya' on the frustration issue.

Next time your in Central Jersey, give me a ring because...
I know a guy, that knows a guy, that has a Teka-2 and a dyno. <cough-cough>

Same guy could probably fabricate you a 3mm rear sprocket off-set kit for little more than postage. It might help you from eating sprocket sets over and over.
Oh, and the thing they don't tell you about the rear spacer trick is that anything more than a couple mm of offset and your gonna' need to offset the rear brake caliber too or you'll simply trade sprocket problems for brake problems. Just sayin'.

So, if you just got the O.K. from your CFO (wife?) to spend the money to "fix" your Vee, then just do it, and I'm outa' here.
But otherwise, if your broke (like me), PM me and I may be able to help you dismiss the fueling issues and such on the cheap.

Your move.
-Ej-
Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use to be in Jersey alot ( Milford ) but the family moved away !!.I would love to just go get a NC700x or a CB500x but it will be nice to not have a payment anymore,and that $137 a month I save can go towards more parts and tires to keep the old girl going !!.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKT View Post
So would it (the new motor) be worth waiting for? I do prefer the look of the old bike though.
I think most are pondering those two points. Well I am. Perhaps better informed about the whole package when a few have ridden it and used them real world for a while.

Can't see why all the earlier bikes positives won't be there in the new model.

Most of the negatives in the old bikes dependability would be due to a fault in a certain component or particular batch of parts supplied by third parties. By now Suzuki should have screwed those bad suppliers to the floor and got them to correct their ways. Should pose less of a threat where any item stays the same in the new bike. Its more often in the all new or re-designed components where the opportunity for new issues is presented.

For that very reason Suzuki will have left as much as possible the same in the new engine. New cylinder head and fuelling are definately changed because they have to for emissions regulations and we see the pictures. I think they will have left the rest of the engine just as it was. Why suffer the cost of change and risk new issues if there's no need.

If the FI is good we should know fairly soon after the first rides.

My guess is Suzuki and their suppliers of clutches both think the chudder issue is behind them. Only time or a look at the new bikes parts list will tell if they tried to address this yet again. Confident I can still modify them care what. Shipped two modified baskets to Japan this year. Would be nice to think that was the manufacturer having a look what sorts them out. Replies back from both owners saying they are fine. Perhaps not.

Only time will tell if the new cylinder heads and other changes to affected components such as cam chain guides are as durable as the old. Something odd about adding a new spark plug off to the side of an exisitng four valve head. Centre plug, valve angle, piston crown and squish band (shape of the combustion chamber) would have taken years to develop to ensure reliability and durability in the old engine. That must have all gone out the window with the new extra plug in the corner arrangement. I do hope its not just an experiment or stop gap to get the lovely engine back in production. PAIR was.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Has anyone had any of the big 3 problems ( clutch,FI or stator ) taken care of by Suzuki at no cost ???.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buy , dl1000 , surging , test ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.